Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded at LAX [BA booking not ticketed]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's not much I can add to the excellent points raised above.

Here is the thread for irrops
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

And note one aspect to this: don't allow them to refund your ticket, this is important since as soon as you are refunded you are legally in a very different space to when you hold a reservation, albeit unticketed. I think it is clearly spelled out in the thread above, but it's an important point so if you don't understand what to do here it's best to reach out in this forum. In short: never accept a refund in an irrop situation. Points 17 and 22.

Did you hold a boarding pass here? Or were you expecting it to be issued after the passport check? The first thing anyone needs to do after not getting a boarding pass is to check for ticket numbers, it's easy to do in the App or tools such as Finnair email receipt. Mostly tickets do get ticketed, it's the complex ones that sometimes fail internally in BA, so that was the second trigger here for checking. Did you or BA change some detail of the flight between booking and tonight?

With the refund potentially complicating this, you just want BA to rebook you and to reticket your reservation, that is all at this point, and for zero additional cost.

Later on - not a topic for today - you need to go through Right to Care and Involuntary Denied Board compensation, but you need to get at least to Uganda before that kicks in. But lots of details in the main EC261 thread.

I hope it goes well with GGL Manchester in a short while.
SW7London, wrp96, KARFA and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
wow, just wow. They are consistently inconsistent with their treatment of GGLs. I would be calmly demanding other airlines that BA can ticket with - which is a fair few when they are pushed, if that can get you where you need to be. I would worry about the ec261 and duty of care later. Ie that is solved with an email claim after the fact.

I guess you are flying through/transit the U.K. rather than a stop, does that affect uk261?

KF
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It may be different for UK261, but EU Reg. 261/04 would not be applicable for US to Uganda itinerary despite a transfer in EU or a community carrier.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Update… on hold with GGL. They want $20000 for the ticket the overnight crew arranged, not the same arrangement I had (avios plus tax).

honestly feeling so drained and exhausted. May just book the cheap economy ticket on AA and give up.

zero notes on the file from the other 2 reps I talked to all evening. 🤦🏻‍♀️
TheRealBabushka and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It may be different for UK261, but EU Reg. 261/04 would not be applicable for US to Uganda itinerary despite a transfer in EU or a community carrier.
The USA->UK flight on BA would have been within scope of EC261 pre brexit, and is in scope of UK261 post brexit.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you accepted a refund during the previous calls, ask the GGL to rebook the original itinerary and issue the ticket. Forget about the new (revenue) reservation other agents made for you awaiting ticketing

Calm down! There is plenty of time to get this sorted today. The next flight LAX to LHR is several hours away.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can they not resurrect the previous PNR and send it to ticketing? Or is the booking now regarded as cancelled / no-show?

There's a straightforward point here: you held a reservation, paid for it and had documentation for this. BA didn't ticket it. BA just need to rebook, in line with standard procedures in this area. I suspect that there is another airline involved here (Qatar?) but that's just a guess on my part.
becks1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I had a similar non-issuance of ticket for a LHR-YUL flight. I ended up buckling and just paying for a brand new ticket and having been trying to sort reimbursement since I got back (about a week now) - I couldn’t afford to miss the flight.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Did you hold a boarding pass here? Or were you expecting it to be issued after the passport check? The first thing anyone needs to do after not getting a boarding pass is to check for ticket numbers, it's easy to do in the App or tools such as Finnair email receipt. Mostly tickets do get ticketed, it's the complex ones that sometimes fail internally in BA, so that was the second trigger here for checking. Did you or BA change some detail of the flight between booking and tonight?
Here is the link to Finnair (works for non Finnair OW flights)

Receipt link
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue with just buying a new /different ticket is that any subsequent segments in the original ticket will become void/cancelled. We don't know the itinerary OP purchased with Avios. To the UK only (1 segment) or to Uganda?
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Unless you accepted a refund during the previous calls, ask the GGL to rebook the original itinerary and issue the ticket. Forget about the new (revenue) reservation other agents made for you awaiting ticketing

Calm down! There is plenty of time to get this sorted today. The next flight LAX to LHR is several hours away.
issue is all BA only flights get me in a day late into Nairobi and I lose my flight to Uganda and safari leaves without me. They don’t want to connect me with American.

trust me! I would love my original itinerary!! 😂
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can they not resurrect the previous PNR and send it to ticketing? Or is the booking now regarded as cancelled / no-show?

There's a straightforward point here: you held a reservation, paid for it and had documentation for this. BA didn't ticket it. BA just need to rebook, in line with standard procedures in this area. I suspect that there is another airline involved here (Qatar?) but that's just a guess on my part.
Flight #1 is gone, it was all BA flights. They put it as a no show, but arrived 5 hours early. Just denied boarding at the gate.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Got it. No doubt that the Avios ticket complicates matters here. For a revenue ticket it would be easy to rebook to AA but for Avios it is more complicated and BA most likely do not want to rebook into AA revenue class.

So your Avios ticket was LAX-LHR-NBO (Nairobi) with BA?
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:55 am
Original Poster

OK. Got it. No doubt that the Avios ticket complicates matters here. For a revenue ticket it would be easy to rebook to AA but for Avios it is more complicated and BA most likely do not want to rebook into AA revenue class.

So your Avios ticket was LAX-LHR-NBO (Nairobi) with BA?
correct
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:04 am

The easiest way to EBB is via IST and using TK. I can imagine BA will be reluctant to do this. They will presumably route you to NBO, which they are contracted for, but they are not responsible for consequential losses, that's for insurance. Some nuances on this, but this is one of those thread where details just drip in. From the information provided, you best accept the re-route to NBO, if they are not willing to re-route on TK or Qatar via DOH. Then you'll need to catch up with the safari one night out - your safari company should allow this. The alternative, if you are insured, is to talk to your insurers and see if they will refund everything or come up with better ideas.
Fritz, orbitmic, becks1 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.