Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F Award Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2023 | 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crowe
Just a further thought on this after reading one of the compensation threads-BA have not proactively rebooked me, they have just said the flight is cancelled, and asked me if I want Club instead. Could this be their sneaky way of making the downgrade voluntary in some way?
I would ask them to record on the PNR that you requested a First service. Ring YouFirst and see if they can come up with something. But the Regulation is quite clear, even though BA thinks otherwise: it merely required BA to place you in a lower cabin to trigger Mennens reimbursement, though not compensation if more than 2 weeks out.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023 | 3:06 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would ask them to record on the PNR that you requested a First service. Ring YouFirst and see if they can come up with something. But the Regulation is quite clear, even though BA thinks otherwise: it merely required BA to place you in a lower cabin to trigger Mennens reimbursement, though not compensation if more than 2 weeks out.
Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2023 | 2:12 am
15 Years on Site

YouFirst were helpful, in getting the downgrade confirmed and booked on the inbound. While the outbound is currently not bookable it's not showing as cancelled yet so they suggested hanging on a bit.

Interestingly both inbound and outbound seat maps (on MMB and expertflyer) still show a 4 cabin 777, just with the First seats all blocked - are they starting to close First cabins if they have light loads even where it's not an equipment change I wonder?
Old Oct 8, 2023 | 4:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crowe
Interestingly both inbound and outbound seat maps (on MMB and expertflyer) still show a 4 cabin 777, just with the First seats all blocked - are they starting to close First cabins if they have light loads even where it's not an equipment change I wonder?
That's kind of the wrong way around. The service would be deemed a non First service, however it may be that BA's best available aircraft has a First cabin - they won't open up First in that situation but they may run Flub if loads go high - see main Flub thread for more information.
sammyg901 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023 | 2:28 am
15 Years on Site

That's kind of the wrong way around. The service would be deemed a non First service, however it may be that BA's best available aircraft has a First cabin - they won't open up First in that situation but they may run Flub if loads go high - see main Flub thread for more information.
Our current position is just in limbo - seems odd to have "confirmed" seats in First on a service which BA are no longer selling First seats (checked on EF as well as the BA site). Assume they will pretend to cancel it (and so force another downgrade) at some point but it would be good to know sooner rather than later, particularly as the Club cabin is filling and we fly in just over two weeks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.