BA F Award Downgrade

Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by doctor
May I ask the fees. I booked same flight F in December for 176K and $1960, round trip.
Fees and charges are absurdly high for trips starting in North America. Instead of booking a round-trip book 2 one-way tickets and your return trip will attract European fees which are much lower. Or better still, originate all your travel in Europe even when this means you have very long "stays" in the US.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
OP, before you rebook note that youll get the EC261 downgrade compensation if you fly in business. This is 75% of the points used, pro rata for the distance involved. In other words, youll get a business class seat for economy points. There will also be a 75% calculation for the fuel fees etc they charged you.

Just a thought- you might be better off with a business nonstop from LHR, plus being 75% of the way towards your next first redemption, rather than having first class to jfk and a US domestic connection.
This is unlikely. As its been done so far in advance and the OPs original flight is cancelled, BA are likely to treat this is a cancellation and rebooking.

As its happened more than 14 days out, entitlement is a partial refund. (If the OP was connecting and this resulted in a forced overnight, Duty of Care expenses would also be due).
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:54 am

OP probably doing this anyway, but if not GGL then defo call YouFirst (number easy to find on BA website/google) to talk about options.

Wait until daytime UK as its the GGL team that manage that line and are 10x better.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
This is unlikely. As it’s been done so far in advance and the OPs original flight is cancelled, BA are likely to treat this is a cancellation and rebooking.

As it’s happened more than 14 days out, entitlement is a partial refund. (If the OP was connecting and this resulted in a forced overnight, Duty of Care expenses would also be due).
Downgrade compensation is due after a cancellation and rebooking. When the cancellation and rebooking happens is irrelevant for EC261. The reason for the downgrade is also irrelevant.

What's relevant is what the carrier offers - e.g. if BA's initial rebooking was via JFK in First and sent this to OP, and OP objected and then picked business on a nonstop, things would maybe be different. But here BA has rebooked OP in business of its own accord, so has downgraded the OP.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
This is unlikely. As its been done so far in advance and the OPs original flight is cancelled, BA are likely to treat this is a cancellation and rebooking.

As its happened more than 14 days out, entitlement is a partial refund. (If the OP was connecting and this resulted in a forced overnight, Duty of Care expenses would also be due).
The amount of notice given makes no difference to the entitlement to downgrade reimbursement of 75% of the points used and YQ charged. The only thing in EU/UK261 that is conditional on the amount of notice given is delay/cancellation compensation.

The fact that the situation has come about as the result of a cancellation is also neither here nor there.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip
The amount of notice given makes no difference to the entitlement to downgrade reimbursement of 75% of the points used and YQ charged. The only thing in EU/UK261 that is conditional on the amount of notice given is delay/cancellation compensation.

The fact that the situation has come about as the result of a cancellation is also neither here nor there.
Ah interesting. BA have previously treated the removal of F from a route as a cancellation if the originally sold flight was cancelled - issuing a partial refund, but not the 75% downgrade compensation.

I recall seeing language to that effect on their travel trade website as well.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ah interesting. BA have previously treated the removal of F from a route as a cancellation if the originally sold flight was cancelled - issuing a partial refund, but not the 75% downgrade compensation.

I recall seeing language to that effect on their travel trade website as well.
There are all sorts of claims BA seems to make to try avoiding paying statutory compensations/refunds and hopes people will just believe its lies

The airline doesn't have the right to just cancel and refund the passenger - even more so , it doesnt then have the right to make a new booking on the person's behalf. When there is a cancellatiom, 261 rules apply - only difference with time is whether there is additional compensation
subject2load likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:30 pm

Flying thru ny is much more of a time sink that it is really worth to fly first, if Boston is your final destination, landing at jfk is always more of a challenge than landing in Boston, tight airspace, longer taxi times, then you have to get your bags if you checked luggage and recheck so you would have to have a connection time of about two hours then there is always winter weather that could go against you

I really don’t mind the new club seats on ba or the flagship seats on aa, the 380 usually is pulled in the winter and not an option

also, January is pretty dead on the Lhr Bos route but sometimes the fc award seats get loaded in much closer to flight time
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
I have a similar issue on a London-Doha booking, Avios and a 241. However the agent I spoke to says there is no compensation due which is surely wrong?

The flights are still operating just with no F. Just a bad agent or am I going to have to go to a dispute to get the 75% Avios and fees back? Guess I can eat the as nearly expired anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by crowe
I have a similar issue on a London-Doha booking, Avios and a 241. However the agent I spoke to says there is no compensation due which is surely wrong?

The flights are still operating just with no F. Just a bad agent or am I going to have to go to a dispute to get the 75% Avios and fees back? Guess I can eat the as nearly expired anyway.
Don't take legal advice from your opponent, as the saying goes. They're wrong - it doesn't matter when or why you are downgraded, if it happens you are due 75% downgrade reimbursement.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by j_x
My Avios booking for F on BA203 on Jan 9 was downgraded to J on BA239 for the same day, because 203 has been cancelled (PNR is for FCO - LHR - BOS).
I'm wondering what you guys would do in this case.
If I'm fair, I'd say LHR to BOS is too short to enjoy everything from F successfully. CCR is nothing special in my eyes - often busy, (older) people look at you as if to say "should you be in here? This is my space. It's people like you making this place busy for people like me!" and it's sit down food service never works for me when I just want to get the laptop out, work and eat/drink around this, but 75% of my travel is on business, so I'll have a different view from many on here I guess.

I flew F to ORD in March and wasn't hugely impressed at all. Disappointed if anything. The new F is decent, but old F for me is now to be avoided.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:07 am

Don't take legal advice from your opponent, as the saying goes. They're wrong - it doesn't matter when or why you are downgraded, if it happens you are due 75% downgrade reimbursement.
Thanks-Ill get back onto them!
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:14 am

Just a further thought on this after reading one of the compensation threads-BA have not proactively rebooked me, they have just said the flight is cancelled, and asked me if I want Club instead. Could this be their sneaky way of making the downgrade voluntary in some way?
Hennebou likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by chriswiles
If I'm fair, I'd say LHR to BOS is too short to enjoy everything from F successfully. CCR is nothing special in my eyes - often busy, (older) people look at you as if to say "should you be in here? This is my space. It's people like you making this place busy for people like me!" and it's sit down food service never works for me when I just want to get the laptop out, work and eat/drink around this, but 75% of my travel is on business, so I'll have a different view from many on here I guess.

I flew F to ORD in March and wasn't hugely impressed at all. Disappointed if anything. The new F is decent, but old F for me is now to be avoided.
What has any of this got to do with the OPs question?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by crowe
Just a further thought on this after reading one of the compensation threads-BA have not proactively rebooked me, they have just said the flight is cancelled, and asked me if I want Club instead. Could this be their sneaky way of making the downgrade voluntary in some way?
They'll try and claim it was a voluntary change regardless.

Just rebook in J and claim afterwards. It might well have to go to CEDR, I'm afraid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.