Wiki Posts
Search

My Luck Finally Ran Out.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
My Luck Finally Ran Out.

On Saturday 5th August I was booked to fly LGW /AMS for a ex Europe Qatar J fare to CPT.

As LGW was due to be effected by strikes I took the precaution of booking 2 avios flights from LGW and LHR as back ups.

When I heard LGW was back to normal I canceled the bookings and relied on the 1920 from LGW to get me to AMS in time for for my departure from AMS on Sunday 6th at 1720 Qatar Airways.

On the 5th I checked in on line at mid day and then went out with family for the afternoon and was taken to LGW,

Went to the First class check in which was empty.

I was struggling with a large suitcase and the check in gentleman lent forward and pulled gave it a great heave at which point one of it wheels fell off.

Much talk about what to do but the case preceded down the conveyor.

The gentleman then handed me the boarding ticket and at which; point I said is it on time

His response left me lost for words.

Your flight has been canceled and you leave in the morning at 0720.

He suggested I book in at the Block Hotel next to the entrance to security and send the bill to BA.

The Block was quiet an experience a very comfortable bed in a very very small room with a combined shower and WC

As all my toiletries were in the suitcase which I did not have could not have a shower as the soap dispenser was fixed to the wall at the furthest point away from the shower head.

On the plus side staying at the bock I was entitled to a 20% discount at Wetherspoons which gave me great pleasure.

In the morning I woke bright and early and boarded for a very full flight. I had taken the precaution of asking at check in if exit row was available which it was.

Boarded the flight and told that it was delayed due to problems at AMS.

Could see see the Cabin Director introducing himself to a person in club and then he came through to me who was the only Gold in economy.

Explained what had happened to me and after take me of up to the front .which I appreciated as a nice gesture but as you know the leg room is not as good as exit row.

Arrive at AMS and awaiting my damaged suitcase.

In the meantime had phoned The Radisson in AMS to say I would be arriving late and could I have a late check out at 230 pm.as my flight was 520pm

Flight arrived late in AMS and then with a whole plane load of people waited nearly 3 hours for our luggage and I finally arrived at Radisson had a quick shower and back to the airport.

Qatar uses the Aspire lounge was closed for refurbishment and had to use something that could have been prosecuted under the trade descripted Act for calling itself a lounge
On the plus side its best to get all the bad luck in one go and look forward travel going to plan
ttama, T8191 and wanderingjock like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:47 am

But you did get to CPT? I thought from your title it would have been something such as denied boarding etc not a soap dispenser being fixed on a wall incorrectly! (Said in jest, obviously)
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was expecting you to say you missed your ex-EU, and thought what awful luck if you made a decent attempt to fly out the day before.
wrp96, becks1, SK and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by twoclubs
On Saturday 5th August I was booked to fly LGW /AMS for a ex Europe Qatar J fare to CPT.

As LGW was due to be effected by strikes I took the precaution of booking 2 avios flights from LGW and LHR as back ups.

When I heard LGW was back to normal I canceled the bookings and relied on the 1920 from LGW to get me to AMS in time for for my departure from AMS on Sunday 6th at 1720 Qatar Airways.

On the 5th I checked in on line at mid day and then went out with family for the afternoon and was taken to LGW,

Went to the First class check in which was empty.

I was struggling with a large suitcase and the check in gentleman lent forward and pulled gave it a great heave at which point one of it wheels fell off.

Much talk about what to do but the case preceded down the conveyor.

The gentleman then handed me the boarding ticket and at which; point I said is it on time

His response left me lost for words.

Your flight has been canceled and you leave in the morning at 0720.

He suggested I book in at the Block Hotel next to the entrance to security and send the bill to BA.

The Block was quiet an experience a very comfortable bed in a very very small room with a combined shower and WC

As all my toiletries were in the suitcase which I did not have could not have a shower as the soap dispenser was fixed to the wall at the furthest point away from the shower head.

On the plus side staying at the bock I was entitled to a 20% discount at Wetherspoons which gave me great pleasure.

In the morning I woke bright and early and boarded for a very full flight. I had taken the precaution of asking at check in if exit row was available which it was.

Boarded the flight and told that it was delayed due to problems at AMS.

Could see see the Cabin Director introducing himself to a person in club and then he came through to me who was the only Gold in economy.

Explained what had happened to me and after take me of up to the front .which I appreciated as a nice gesture but as you know the leg room is not as good as exit row.

Arrive at AMS and awaiting my damaged suitcase.

In the meantime had phoned The Radisson in AMS to say I would be arriving late and could I have a late check out at 230 pm.as my flight was 520pm

Flight arrived late in AMS and then with a whole plane load of people waited nearly 3 hours for our luggage and I finally arrived at Radisson had a quick shower and back to the airport.

Qatar uses the Aspire lounge was closed for refurbishment and had to use something that could have been prosecuted under the trade descripted Act for calling itself a lounge
On the plus side its best to get all the bad luck in one go and look forward travel going to plan
How stressful. I hope the rest if your trip goes OK. But how strange to take your luggage from you and give you a boarding pass BEFORE telling you your flight was cancelled and you needed an overnight stay!! If you hadn't asked, do you think you'd have been told before you went through to departures?
britbronco22, wrp96, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by twoclubs
Wait. You couldn't have a shower because of the location of the soap dispenser?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Didn’t you contact the Radisson on the Saturday? I’m surprised they didn’t treat you as a no show if you didn’t contact them until Sunday.
ukflo and roberto99 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Wait. You couldn't have a shower because of the location of the soap dispenser?
that was my only takeaway (other than of course the agent taking your bag THEN informing you were cancelled?).

but i am very curious now how the position prevents a shower...i have stayed in the bloc but also many other hotels with empty soap dispensers no soap etc etc etc but still manage a shower?
Adam1222, lall, SK and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Based upon you still making your ex-EU QR flights after a BA cancellation and a dodgy soap dispenser I would say your luck still holds.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by VSLover
that was my only takeaway (other than of course the agent taking your bag THEN informing you were cancelled?).

but i am very curious now how the position prevents a shower...i have stayed in the bloc but also many other hotels with empty soap dispensers no soap etc etc etc but still manage a shower?
Didn’t BA offer you an ‘overnight pack’ or whatever it is, with a t shirt and toiletries ?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hang on.. The check-in agent checked your bag before telling you your flight was cancelled?
SxMan and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Got to CPT but have only short arms for the soap
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Hang on.. The check-in agent checked your bag before telling you your flight was cancelled?
Correct

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 9, 2023 at 3:11 am Reason: marry quote with reply
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I agree with others. Irritations along the way but the fact you still got to Caoe Town on separate tickets with an overnight delay, firstly shows the importance of building in slack when connecting on separate tickets but I’d say your luck is still running.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:59 am

For stories like these, I always wonder what the direct LHR-CPT financial cost would have been versus LGW-AMS/AMS-DOH-CPT scenario with three segments, two separate flight bookings, one overnight hotel layover, 24+ hours of travel time, undesirable soap dispensers, and a lot of stress/uncertainty.
HIDDY, DXB2745, MarcusU and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:03 pm

Next time. Dispense the soap into your hand, another container or directly onto a face cloth and then bring that into the shower with you.

Repeat this as required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.