FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Luck Finally Ran Out.
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:00 am
ttama

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by twoclubs
On Saturday 5th August I was booked to fly LGW /AMS for a ex Europe Qatar J fare to CPT.

As LGW was due to be effected by strikes I took the precaution of booking 2 avios flights from LGW and LHR as back ups.

When I heard LGW was back to normal I canceled the bookings and relied on the 1920 from LGW to get me to AMS in time for for my departure from AMS on Sunday 6th at 1720 Qatar Airways.

On the 5th I checked in on line at mid day and then went out with family for the afternoon and was taken to LGW,

Went to the First class check in which was empty.

I was struggling with a large suitcase and the check in gentleman lent forward and pulled gave it a great heave at which point one of it wheels fell off.

Much talk about what to do but the case preceded down the conveyor.

The gentleman then handed me the boarding ticket and at which; point I said is it on time

His response left me lost for words.

Your flight has been canceled and you leave in the morning at 0720.

He suggested I book in at the Block Hotel next to the entrance to security and send the bill to BA.

The Block was quiet an experience a very comfortable bed in a very very small room with a combined shower and WC

As all my toiletries were in the suitcase which I did not have could not have a shower as the soap dispenser was fixed to the wall at the furthest point away from the shower head.

On the plus side staying at the bock I was entitled to a 20% discount at Wetherspoons which gave me great pleasure.

In the morning I woke bright and early and boarded for a very full flight. I had taken the precaution of asking at check in if exit row was available which it was.

Boarded the flight and told that it was delayed due to problems at AMS.

Could see see the Cabin Director introducing himself to a person in club and then he came through to me who was the only Gold in economy.

Explained what had happened to me and after take me of up to the front .which I appreciated as a nice gesture but as you know the leg room is not as good as exit row.

Arrive at AMS and awaiting my damaged suitcase.

In the meantime had phoned The Radisson in AMS to say I would be arriving late and could I have a late check out at 230 pm.as my flight was 520pm

Flight arrived late in AMS and then with a whole plane load of people waited nearly 3 hours for our luggage and I finally arrived at Radisson had a quick shower and back to the airport.

Qatar uses the Aspire lounge was closed for refurbishment and had to use something that could have been prosecuted under the trade descripted Act for calling itself a lounge
On the plus side its best to get all the bad luck in one go and look forward travel going to plan
How stressful. I hope the rest if your trip goes OK. But how strange to take your luggage from you and give you a boarding pass BEFORE telling you your flight was cancelled and you needed an overnight stay!! If you hadn't asked, do you think you'd have been told before you went through to departures?