Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hearing impaired, is it worth telling the airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond

Hello, I've got what's probably a newbie question, and I've searched, but I cant find the answer.

I'm flying with the family LHR-MUC in Y later this month, and we've just got an email from BA explaining what services they have for kids.

There was a section about "Need Special Assistance?", and a photo of a sign with various impairments on.

Now, my mother in law is hearing impaired, she is profoundly deaf in one ear and uses a hearing aid for the other. She doesn't fly regularly, although has flown often in the past. She's with me, though, and although I'm not a road warrior, I make a handful of flights a year, I'm OK with how airports work, so she won't need special assistance getting round or that sort of thing.

Is it worth my while still letting the airline know that she's hearing impaired? I figure the crew might want that sort of info on the passenger manifest, if nothing else? Or will I be creating an unnecessary fuss if I do?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

"so she won't need special assistance getting round or that sort of thing."

To what what end does letting the airline know? She is traveling with the family who will make sure she is safe and understands what needs to be heard. I think it is " unnecessary fuss".
bafan likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ordinarily I wouldn't bother, it's pretty noisy on these aircraft so we all become a bit deaf.

There may be quite specific reasons why you would want to tell (e.g.) the IFM / IFL on the day. For example if your MiL got an upgrade to another cabin without you. At that point if there was an emergency scenario it would be useful to the crew to know that they can't necessarily rely on your relative's hearing. It's an unlikely scenario in many ways, so that's why I think you won't need to overthink it now, but use commonsense on the day.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
There are a number of reasons to let the airline know. The crew will have the details, so they will be aware that specific accomadation should be made, including, potentially, an individual safety briefing.

I'm not sure about hearing impairments, but visual or mobility disabled passengers and the rest of their booking) can prebook seats (so the carer can be guaranteed to sit with the person concerned) and get preboarded. Both issues are partially for the benefit of the airline , but also reduce the strain of the process on the passenger and their party.

Far from "unnecessary fuss", it's a process that exists for a reason, and benefits both sides. Once onboard, you can always politely advise the cabin crew that you have everything under control.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Good question, I wouldn’t bother as you MiL won’t need any assistance and she has you with her should she need any additional help and I would think she doesn’t like having this disability drawn to attention?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:29 am
Original Poster

That's what I was thinking, unnecessary fuss. She doesn't make a big thing of it and I don't want to either.

Although:

Originally Posted by umgowah
There are a number of reasons to let the airline know. The crew will have the details, so they will be aware that specific accomadation should be made, including, potentially, an individual safety briefing.

I'm not sure about hearing impairments, but visual or mobility disabled passengers and the rest of their booking) can prebook seats (so the carer can be guaranteed to sit with the person concerned) and get preboarded. Both issues are partially for the benefit of the airline , but also reduce the strain of the process on the passenger and their party.

Far from "unnecessary fuss", it's a process that exists for a reason, and benefits both sides. Once onboard, you can always politely advise the cabin crew that you have everything under control.
Interesting. Thanks. My concern is more about the cabin crew needing to know rather than getting round the airport. I'm disinclined to pay for seating, so there's a small chance she might end up elsewhere on the plane.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
Hello, I've got what's probably a newbie question, and I've searched, but I cant find the answer.

I'm flying with the family LHR-MUC in Y later this month, and we've just got an email from BA explaining what services they have for kids.

There was a section about "Need Special Assistance?", and a photo of a sign with various impairments on.

Now, my mother in law is hearing impaired, she is profoundly deaf in one ear and uses a hearing aid for the other. She doesn't fly regularly, although has flown often in the past. She's with me, though, and although I'm not a road warrior, I make a handful of flights a year, I'm OK with how airports work, so she won't need special assistance getting round or that sort of thing.

Is it worth my while still letting the airline know that she's hearing impaired? I figure the crew might want that sort of info on the passenger manifest, if nothing else? Or will I be creating an unnecessary fuss if I do?
you are in effect her carer on the flight….as to ability to follow cabin crew instructions that would fall to you if such arise. This is clearly set out in the relevant conditions of carriage and civil aviation and iata regs…as stated above by cihy..there’s nothing to worry about here.
I hope you all enjoy your flights.
T
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

One thing I would consider is possibly getting her to wear a Sunflower lanyard?

As a previous public sector worker for many a year in different professions they are well recognised but private industries also train their staff including BA. As others have said no need to ask for any assistance as you are with her but it's a visual clue for staff to be aware. Just a thought.

About the Sunflower:

Wearing the Sunflower lanyard enables individuals to discreetly indicate that they have a non-visible disability and may need additional assistance, kindness, or simply a little more time.

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c.../details/13748
Telecasterman and flygirl68 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
One thing I would consider is possibly getting her to wear a Sunflower lanyard?

As a previous public sector worker for many a year in different professions they are well recognised but private industries also train their staff including BA. As others have said no need to ask for any assistance as you are with her but it's a visual clue for staff to be aware. Just a thought.

About the Sunflower:

Wearing the Sunflower lanyard enables individuals to discreetly indicate that they have a non-visible disability and may need additional assistance, kindness, or simply a little more time.

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c.../details/13748
that’s a great point and all BA team members are aware of that and other hidden disabilities. Credit to you for raising this maybe worth a wiki to indicate hidden disabilities on BA and policy ?
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
that’s a great point and all BA team members are aware of that and other hidden disabilities. Credit to you for raising this maybe worth a wiki to indicate hidden disabilities on BA and policy ?
Sure, thanks. I've been looking further into this and it would appear you can collect one at LHR assuming ba.com is still correct. (not sure if you have to be officially booked in though as needing assistance?)

My late Dad was exactly similar to the OP's Mother-in-Law. Totally deaf in one ear and deaf in the other and even though he was fit and compus mentis and he never really flew whenever I took him anywhere, wearing his lanyard, it was quite amazing as to the patience and kindness he was shown by staff from Shops to Cafes/Restaurants etc. Same if he was going out on his own locally.

If you have a non-visible disability

If you have a non-visible disability, you can pick up a sunflower lanyard at our dedicated assistance check-in area, located in zone A at Heathrow Terminal 5.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...p-your-journey
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Sure, thanks. I've been looking further into this and it would appear you can collect one at LHR assuming ba.com is still correct. (not sure if you have to be officially booked in though as needing assistance?)

My late Dad was exactly similar to the OP's Mother-in-Law. Totally deaf in one ear and deaf in the other and even though he was fit and compus mentis and he never really flew whenever I took him anywhere, wearing his lanyard, it was quite amazing as to the patience and kindness he was shown by staff from Shops to Cafes/Restaurants etc. Same if he was going out on his own locally.

If you have a non-visible disability

If you have a non-visible disability, you can pick up a sunflower lanyard at our dedicated assistance check-in area, located in zone A at Heathrow Terminal 5.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...p-your-journey
can I ask you to pm me T
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I have a card that looks much like a business card with my name etc. that also says I am hearing impaired. In noisy places like echo-y terminals it is really useful to hand to staff or others who may think I'm just being a problem. They then seem to speak that bit slower and louder and we move right along. Hearing aids, like spectacles, used to be visible but these days hearing aids (like contact lens) aren't so many are not aware. Also remember that it's a lot of busy work to adjust hearing aids from environment to environment going through a terminal etc. so they are not necessarily all that effective.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:36 am
Original Poster

I wasn't sure that the MiL would wear the lanyard, as she wouldn't want to draw attention to herself, she's proud and independent. Of course, everything was fine.

Ironically, though, this discussion sprung to mind as soon as we'd cleared security. We suspect my wife might have ASD, and she visibly started to struggle once in the terminal, but as soon as we got through security she said to me "How do I get a sunflower lanyard?"

Of course, the opportunity had then passed.

I'll try and pick her one up from somewhere for next time...
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
If you scroll down to the FAQs there's information on where a lanyard can be collected airside

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...n-disabilities
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’m glad I’ve rediscovered this thread. I’m not exactly ‘deaf’ but my hearing is a bit diminished. Even in the home environment, I often have to ask iWife to repeat what she’s said. Put me in a 777, and I really struggle to hear what the CC are saying, and often have to ask iWife to interpret … and I usually warn the CC of my problem at an early opportunity.

I guess I’ll have to wait for my next LHR opportunity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.