Search

Avios awards out of Dubai/Doha?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Avios awards out of Dubai/Doha?

Are there any sweet spots flying out of these two cities?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Where to ?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Where to ?
Anywhere that's good value.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well most of Australia is great value from DOH. But so are a lot of other places
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well most of Australia is great value from DOH. But so are a lot of other places
Specifics?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:05 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I'm not sure what the question is, are you asking for cities near the edge of e.g., the 2000mi or 1150mi band?

If you're looking at flying between Dubai and Doha, you're almost never going to find Avios space -- try Sharjah (40 mins away from Dubai by car, 30 by taxi with many of the drivers who don't seem to care whether they live or die), or AUH if you're closer to the south side (e.g., Emirates Hills, JVC, etc.) to Doha -- the timings are better too (e.g., finish lunch, or work, or dinner), as FZ dominates all the well-timed slots on the DXB-DOH route.

If you're looking for OneWorld flights from DXB, there aren't many great options near the bands:
DXB-HEL 2819mi

Doha, on the other hand, has quite a few good ones, although (possibly annoyingly) it has many more destinations 2000-2100mi range ...
DOH-ATH 1840mi
DOH-COK 1931mi
DOH-ALA 1902mi
DOH-OTP 1951mi

under 1150mi:
DOH-JIB 1094mi
DOH-BEY 1133mi
DOH-AMM 1047mi

under 3000mi:
DOH-ALG 2945mi
DOH-CPH 2844mi
DOH-ARN 2870mi
DOH-DUS 2957mi
DOH-LYS 2924mi

One of my personal favourites to get me back to the Middle East from South America / Europe, though, is BCN-AMM clocking in at 1985mi with RJ, although I've gotten pretty old planes as of late...
lsquare and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by BA Humbug; Jul 14, 2023 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
I'm not sure what the question is, are you asking for cities near the edge of e.g., the 2000mi or 1150mi band?

If you're looking at flying between Dubai and Doha, you're almost never going to find Avios space -- try Sharjah (40 mins away from Dubai by car, 30 by taxi with many of the drivers who don't seem to care whether they live or die), or AUH if you're closer to the south side (e.g., Emirates Hills, JVC, etc.).

If you're looking for OneWorld flights from DXB, there aren't many great options near the bands:
DXB-HEL 2819mi

Doha, on the other hand, has quite a few good ones, although (possibly annoyingly) it has many more destinations 2000-2100mi range ...
DOH-ATH 1840mi
DOH-COK 1931mi
DOH-ALA 1902mi
DOH-OTP 1951mi

under 1150mi:
DOH-JIB 1094mi
DOH-BEY 1133mi
DOH-AMM 1047mi

under 3000mi:
DOH-ALG 2945mi
DOH-CPH 2844mi
DOH-ARN 2870mi
DOH-DUS 2957mi
DOH-LYS 2924mi

One of my personal favourites to get me back to the Middle East from South America / Europe, though, is BCN-AMM clocking in at 1985mi with RJ, although I've gotten pretty old planes as of late...
I thought I was clear when I mentioned sweet spots? For example, I would never redeem Avios for SFO-LHR. I wouldn't hesitate to do it for TPE-HKG though.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Isquare - you are being a bit hard on BA Humbug. He has clearly spent some time giving you a detailed reply.

For the record, I had no idea what you meant by sweet spot either!
BA6501, Shingi, etiene and 11 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I thought I was clear when I mentioned sweet spots? For example, I would never redeem Avios for SFO-LHR. I wouldn't hesitate to do it for TPE-HKG though.
Your responses aren’t particularly helpful at all, for those attempting, some at great effort, to assist your vague question
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeManx
Isquare - you are being a bit hard on BA Humbug. He has clearly spent some time giving you a detailed reply.

For the record, I had no idea what you meant by sweet spot either!
Your responses aren’t particularly helpful at all, for those attempting, some at great effort, to assist your vague question
Uh? What's going on here? I'm not trying to be rude. I'm actually grateful for the attempts to help me on this matter.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I also don’t understand what you’re asking for.
oceanscape and etiene like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
to me a sweet spot is a route where I get an award where spending money for the same flight would be disproportionally high.
I do not believe that is what the OP is looking for - but I don't know either
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Obviously, Doha is a MUCH better starting point than Dubai because it is a OW hub, and avios awards are priced by individual segment.

Why don't you plug all OW destinations from there into great circle mapper, export to Excel, sort by distance, and add the distance bands to your xls? (This is pretty much whatBA Humbug did for a small sample of flights.) If you want to get fancy, you could also include airlines (obviously, mostly QR) and probable a/c types.
BA Humbug, AnaTravel and mikeyfly like this.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 14, 2023 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Uh? What's going on here? I'm not trying to be rude. I'm actually grateful for the attempts to help me on this matter.
Nobody knows what your definition of a sweet spot is.

Why can't you do your own research rather than asking others to do it for you?
etiene likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My interpretation of a ''sweet spot'' was a route which offered the most value for the least amount of Avios spent. That's usually what Flyertalkers like.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.