Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Avios Redemptions Through BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fbrj
There is another way to search for QR avios flights, without shifting the total required over to QR beforehand. I just leave a few in my QR account for searching purposes.

Providing you are registered as a QR frequent flyer and have a few avios in your QR account - you search first for the cash flight you want and once you have identified that (while logged in to QR) an option using avios pops up and away you go! You can then continue searching for QR avios flights for different routes/dates etc.
You can get total avios and cash costs even if you have nothing like the number of required avios.
OK, I've just tried it and it works just as you say. The bottom line is:

- There is often much less QR availability via BA; BA may show either nothing available or only BA flights LHR-DOH when QR has availability on both legs.

However:

- When I do find QR flights on the same dates the Avios and fees are identical (160,000 plus £545.11 per person).

Thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
1. For stopovers, the system will give you the option of stopovers when trying to book it, if it allows it. Failing that, you should book two one way flights - LHR-DOH on whatever date and DOH-DPS on the other.
Two one ways will cost a LOT more in Avios. OP should give BA a call and see if they can, subject to general availability and QR married segment rules, book it as one ticket.
SteveF likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Two one ways will cost a LOT more in Avios. OP should give BA a call and see if they can, subject to general availability and QR married segment rules, book it as one ticket.
Thanks for the advice.

We decided we didn't fancy an overnight in Doha anyway. It would only have been in order to have a rest before continuing, but we just decided to go for a short connection (something like 1hr 50m one way and 1hr 10m the other) instead.

Flights booked ex-LHR through BA, all flights on QR metal on the A380 and A350-1000.

Last edited by SteveF; Jul 13, 2023 at 2:26 am
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by SteveF
Thanks for the advice.

We decided we didn't fancy an overnight in Doha anyway. It would only have been in order to have a rest before continuting, but we just decided to go for a short connection (something like 1hr 50m one way and 1hr 10m the other) instead.

Flights booked ex-LHR through BA, all flights on QR metal on the A380 and A350-1000.
Fair enough, there's nothing to do in Doha anyway!

Hopefully your connection times will give you enough time to enjoy the Al Mourjan lounge in Doha (either of the two, or both!) if you're in business class.

The restaurant dining is well worth it - whether the more formal or informal. Plan your eating times well!
SteveF likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:51 pm

Hopefully your connection times will give you enough time to enjoy the Al Mourjan lounge in Doha (either of the two, or both!) if you're in business class.

The restaurant dining is well worth it - whether the more formal or informal. Plan your eating times well!
I find the food on board in J is actually so good that I give priority in the AM lounge to having a shower, then eating if there's time.
SteveF likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I find the food on board in J is actually so good that I give priority in the AM lounge to having a shower, then eating if there's time.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I also really like the food on board in QR J.

Usually I only have room for a little sample of the lounge food as a result.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:31 am
Original Poster

I agree re Doha - I had a couple of business trips there while I was living/working in the region a few years ago.

We are in business, but we decided that the journey was long enough already and went for the shortest connection time possible in DOH so I think we'll have to give the lounges a miss this time. We have just over two hours on the ex-LHR leg so may get an hour or so for a drink and a snack, but on the return it's just over an hour so I think it will be straight to the gate.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Oh, don't get me wrong, I also really like the food on board in QR J.

Usually I only have room for a little sample of the lounge food as a result.
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Speaking of the on-board meals (and drink!):

I assume that there will be a full meal and bar service in J on the two afternoon/evening flights (15:05 ex-LHR and 19:10 ex-DPS), but what about the 01:40 ex-DOH and 01:05 ex-DPS flights? Does it go straight into breakfast shortly after departure at that time or will there be a dinner? Does the bar service run all night? Does the A380 Premium Lounge stay open all night?

Edit: Actually I should probably move this question to the QR forum.

Last edited by SteveF; Jul 13, 2023 at 3:30 am
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
Speaking of the on-board meals (and drink!):

I assume that there will be a full meal and bar service in J on the two afternoon/evening flights (15:05 ex-LHR and 19:10 ex-DPS), but what about the 01:40 ex-DOH and 01:05 ex-DPS flights? Does it go straight into breakfast shortly after departure at that time or will there be a dinner? Does the bar service run all night? Does the A380 Premium Lounge stay open all night?

Edit: Actually I should probably move this question to the QR forum.
Early morning flights would be "late night dining" (so think smaller sized dinner dishes) and a more substantial breakfast.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
I managed to get my LHR-DOH-BKK flights, but I booked through BA and in separate legs (J and then F) as I read this was better in terms of customer service etc.

I have now realised that it was 16,500 avios more expensive to do so (112,500 booked as one on Qatar website, 54,000+75,000 on BA)

Is this normal, and do I just have to suck it up? I am down to my last dregs so the 16.5k would be quite useful to me. I fear if I cancel and rebook, the avios seats won't reappear on the Qatar website.

Would BA gold line be able to rebook them as one through ticket, reducing my avios cost? Any experience on this hugely appreciated.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:37 am
Original Member

Good morning all
Just curious if BA ever offers the multiple mileage price points for flights on QR? When I search it always seems to offer one price in miles plus taxes without additional options which are offered on BA and other partner flights.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.