Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eurocontrol strike Summer 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Eurocontrol strike Summer 2023

I see U2 have started their pre-emptive planning and cancelled 1200 flights https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66153416

When do people anticipate BA will likely to announce their schedule alterations?
SxMan and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Very odd approach. I suspect at least some of this is more to do with U2's own capacity issues rather than confirmed strikes. As noted in the article the Eurocontrol strikes are not actually confirmed, and other than that they just seem to reference the usual French/German/Italian etc. national strikes.
mikeyfly, TRISTAR1979 and RJD1983 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
As per the article, the current Easyjet cancelations aren't related to the possible (no dates) Eurocontrol strike(s)
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
This is easyJet trying to ward off compensation claims through misrepresentation, isn't it?

Assuming they haven't given the two weeks notice in some cases, that is.
SxMan and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:46 am

This will be a tactical decision given how the summer has already seen significant air traffic restrictions well before the real July-August EU travel peak. On my recent flights to and from Athens we were delayed on both the outbound and inbound for 60 and 75 minutes respectively due to heavy congestion and therefore Eurocontrol restrictions not strikes. Those travelling this summer should just expect delays and have back up plans if you have connecting flights - and pack light in case bags are the lowest priority in transfers.
becks1 and RJD1983 like this.

Last edited by Door5L; Jul 10, 2023 at 4:54 am
Old Jul 10, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
What is the actual potential scope of Eurocontrol strikes or disruptions? I’ve heard nothing from the airlines themselves about my AY HEL-AGP-HEL legs, nor about my BA LHR-TLV, which are all happening in August on various dates.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0
What is the actual potential scope of Eurocontrol strikes or disruptions? I’ve heard nothing from the airlines themselves about my AY HEL-AGP-HEL legs, nor about my BA LHR-TLV, which are all happening in August on various dates.
well that is a good question. I think at this stage we know what happens if a national ATC strike happens. What I don’t think we have faced before is a Eurocontrol strike and my understanding is they fulfil a coordination role rather than directing aircraft? I am not clear how much disruption that would cause, and presumably any disruption would be Europe wide including the UK?

To be fair we have no dates for a strike tho, so I wouldn’t have expected any airlines to be saying anything yet.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Eurocontrol strike dates are expected to be announced this week. "The Times" assesses that one in three flights are likely to be affected.
SxMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.