Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone work in Technology at BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Does anyone work in Technology at BA?

Morning,

I've been working in banking/hedge fund technology for around 15 years. The pay is good, but I'm generally just sat at my desk every single day with very little opportunity for travel unfortunately.

I was just curious, what is it like to work in Technology at BA? What are the perks? Do you get to do a lot of business travel?A friend of mine who works for BA in another department says she gets free travel and an automatic gold card.
SW7London likes this.

Last edited by goldwannabe; Jul 9, 2023 at 2:58 am Reason: Asked the same question twice
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:47 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Free travel = a set amount of tickets not anything you want. - Gold card = BS
Pay well under market rate
wrp96, SxMan, DiamondMile and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
There’s no evidence that anyone works for BA IT!!

Seriously though I would imagine working in BA IT would be quite stressful at present.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
If you decide to join them please can you fix My Bookings in the app.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK
Pay well under market rate
Exhibit A in the case as to why BA IT is so bad...
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
Curious to hear what it's like to work in the Technology department at BA!
You may wish to acquaint yourself with the reputation and recent performance of BA's IT function before proceeding any further ...
bafan, wrp96, chessers1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I opened this thread expecting to see another rant about BA’s shoddy IT
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:13 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I opened this thread expecting to see another rant about BA’s shoddy IT
Have to admit I thought the same, I interpreted the title as - does anyone actually work in IT at BA because the IT never works and nothing ever gets fixed. .
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I had thought all of BA's IT was outsourced? I cannot remember the name of the high-quality supplier right now.
Howard Long and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:55 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
Morning,

I've been working in banking/hedge fund technology for around 15 years. The pay is good, but I'm generally just sat at my desk every single day with very little opportunity for travel unfortunately.

I was just curious, what is it like to work in Technology at BA? What are the perks? A friend of mine who works for BA in another department says she gets free travel and an automatic gold card.

Curious to hear what it's like to work in the Technology department at BA! Do you get to do a lot of business travel?
I've worked in banking (largely the funds sector) for over 25 years and over that time have managed both operations and technology development teams. The technology teams tended to be much more industry agnostic, and every so often there was an almost fad-like mass exodus out of banking to some other industry - better pay, better opportunities to work at the bleeding edge, just generally more fun... there was always a reason.

That said, I never ever saw anyone leave to join an airline (or anywhere travel industry related) - make what you will of that.

Like others, I did read your OP with a wry smile, in fact I wondered if it was a bit of fun trolling given what people around here think of BA IT. But frankly if you want to do more travel, you'd be better staying put and use your own money to fly around the world. You'd still end up with more money than from moving to most other industries...
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm sure the forum would happily crowdfund an IT role that concentrated on fixing the app and website. Name your price 😎
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by abligh
I had thought all of BA's IT was outsourced? I cannot remember the name of the high-quality supplier right now.
The Muppets? 😁
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
[QUOTE=ratechaser;35395536]given what people around here think of BA IT./QUOTE]

Unusually for the BA forum (where a few posters base their FT career parroting what "people on this forum" think), this one isn't really a case of opinion. It's widely documented that BA's shonky IT has been directly responsible for a number of occasions recently where the business has been massively disrupted, resulting in millions of lost revenue and hundreds of thousands of customers being grossly inconvenienced.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
[QUOTE=Oxon Flyer;35395576]
Originally Posted by ratechaser
given what people around here think of BA IT./QUOTE]

Unusually for the BA forum (where a few posters base their FT career parroting what "people on this forum" think), this one isn't really a case of opinion. It's widely documented that BA's shonky IT has been directly responsible for a number of occasions recently where the business has been massively disrupted, resulting in millions of lost revenue and hundreds of thousands of customers being grossly inconvenienced.
I can assure you that there's nothing in what I said that is passively aggressively defending BA - in fact the only positive I can take from their IT meltdowns is the compo and status extensions I've had over the years.

Sadly though, however much evidence, experience and opinion we share on here, it still needs BA/IAG to properly 'fess up to how bad things are and commit to fixing them at a structural level. Not likely...
Howard Long likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
How much does it cost (skilled people hours / $) to implement this in app flight rebooking and receiving meal hotel transport vouchers?
And would this have been a fun/challenging task for the UA's IT team to have worked on?
https://simpleflying.com/united-airl...y-through-app/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.