Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA12 SIN-LHR Jun 15 Returns to SIN : Severe Turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 SIN-LHR Jun 15 Returns to SIN : Severe Turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The first URL relates one mother's story and it seems like her baby had a narrow escape - the turbulence started so quickly that the child initially wasn't attached to the mother but in the cot. Luckily the baby was not hurt and slept through the event.
Thats babies for you- slept through leg-breaking turbulence and near-death experience; woke, startled and screamed blue murder for 3 hours when cot blanket was slightly unruffled!

Happy Fathers Day to all!
strowger, wrp96, patersoj and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: BA silver.
Originally Posted by PaulN
From the earlier descriptions it is clear that when this sort of turbulence happens there is a risk to those on board succumbing to injuries but is there ever any risk to the aircraft's structure or ability to stay in the air? Genuine question - I have no understanding of aerodynamics but if I experienced this I would be extremely nervous!
Whenever anything like this happens, I check in with a friend who's ex-Boeing. According to him, in a situation like this, the plane itself is safe as houses. They get tested to within an inch of their lives. When they attach the wing to the fuselage, for instance, they do (or at least did in his time) a test behind the Everett factory - they take the edge of the wing and pull it up, all the way to the breaking point. It can take a huge amount of stress.

All best wishes to the flight crew.
PaulN, wrp96 and Bluekjp like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by dorothyr
Whenever anything like this happens, I check in with a friend who's ex-Boeing. According to him, in a situation like this, the plane itself is safe as houses. They get tested to within an inch of their lives. When they attach the wing to the fuselage, for instance, they do (or at least did in his time) a test behind the Everett factory - they take the edge of the wing and pull it up, all the way to the breaking point. It can take a huge amount of stress.

All best wishes to the flight crew.

This is a B787 wing stress test - see how far it can bend and still be okay
PaulN, wrp96, AJA_ and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Worth bearing in mind though that the majority of accidents when planes experience extreme conditions are primarily down to human factors, not the wings snapping off.
wrp96 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:31 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Londontraveller22
I was on this flight and it was terrifying, the captain came out and confirmed that we dropped 1000ft in just under one second, with 3Gs of gravitational force apparently. Luckily, there was a doctor on board who rushed to aid of the crew and hopefully they recover well. Many passengers are being asked to wait 4 days in Singapore with very limited flights returning back to London as there are not enough available seats. Hopefully all involved recover physically and psychologically as was a very scary flight.
1000 ft vertical drop in one seconds, means, with V0 at 0 m/s (plane was in cruise), a speed of 333 m/s after one second, so a G force of 30.55. Everybody would be dead(-ish).
A force of 3G is a drop of 100 ft/s.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:59 pm

What are the standard procedures for an event of turbulence like this? Do pilots immediately look to slow down? Or ask atc to change flight level?
How is the level of turbulence judged?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Final AAIB report has been released on this and makes for an interesting read. What I didn't realise was that G-YMML into Beijing on the 28th of June also suffered from turbulence which injured a crew member.

AAIB January 1/2024 Bulletin (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Pilot37

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.