Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA12 SIN-LHR Jun 15 Returns to SIN : Severe Turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 SIN-LHR Jun 15 Returns to SIN : Severe Turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:03 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyPilot
There is no way whatsoever that the aircraft lost 1000’ of altitude in under one second. The forces involved with that would be way outside the design limit load of the airframe and it’s far beyond even free fall speed so not physically possible to start with.
I agree 100%, 1000ft is circa 300 metres. Not possible in around a second and the arresting of that fall at the bottom of it would break the airframe up instantly.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
That is indeed a dramatic speed loss, and would certainly have needed a descent to regain. I suspect etc this is where the 1000ft comes in and probably quite a steep descent ensure a stall recovery was avoided too given that speed loss. A really unpleasant and scary situation for all.

Worthy of note though that it is a ground speed loss not an airspeed loss, so again it’s a little hard to judge
Would that be done by the auto-throttle or do the crew need to disengage the auto pilot and fly out of it?
Old Jun 17, 2023, 5:02 am

Depends on the situation at the time. Generally speaking you’d try to leave the auto thrust and autopilot engaged, but it may not be appropriate. The aircraft might not give you a choice (and very likely didn’t in this case), I’ve had an autopilot disconnect on me flying through a cell at night that wasn’t painting anything on the weather radar with as little as 300 feet per minute rate of climb in turbulence. Remember the beancounters at the airlines are pushing hard for single pilot ops in the cruise so this event in the future could very likely have to be managed by someone up front on their own as the other pilot would have disappeared off to the bunk for their rest. It’s beyond farcical that there’s redundancy in basically every system on the aircraft but they want to take away the redundancy in the one controlling element that oversees the safety of all this.

Last edited by JerseyPilot; Jun 17, 2023 at 5:08 am
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
What a thread to read before getting on BA16 tomorrow - guessing it’ll be a completely full flight now too!

Hope the crew members are on the mend. What is it with BA crew getting stuck in Singaporean hospital at this time of year (was MPox in 2022)
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
What a thread to read before getting on BA16 tomorrow - guessing it’ll be a completely full flight now too!

Hope the crew members are on the mend. What is it with BA crew getting stuck in Singaporean hospital at this time of year (was MPox in 2022)
Strap in tight!
wrp96, Tobias-UK and crazy8534 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Looking at the FR24 track and the raw csv data file, there is a gap in the received data between 17:20 and 18:20, which corresponds to the 'speed' line on the graph being smooth rather than jiggly. The aircraft made the 180 degree turn in this period.

From this we could well assume that the speed line in this period is an interpretation, and not necessarily representative of what actually happened.

crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 8:28 am

One thing is for sure — in severe turbulence the speed line would not be smooth
wrp96, crazy8534 and AJA_ like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:24 am

Terrible news. Hope all the crews and passengers are safe. I've been through a severe turbulence between LIM-SCL about 10 years ago. Bad memory.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I had this once on a flight from Chang Mai to Bangkok.

the plane climbed pushing us into our seats and the lift then vanished.

They had just served the meal and everything hit the ceiling. I was covered in it and had no change of clothing for the flight back to the U.K.

We were near the back. My girlfriend at the time a a nurse. I calmed the crew ( they were very frightened and mostly minorly injured ) whilst she got the first aid kit out and patched them up.

About half an hour later an English captain came on ( it was Thai airways ) and said I gather it was a bit bumpy back there but we will be landing shortly. Master is understatement given the plane looked like a war zone.

it was not a pleasant flight !
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
G-STBL is flying now under BAW12D back to LHR https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW12D/30c2bf42
oceanscape and Pilot37 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I've thankfully never been in anything I'd call severe, nothing that resulted in things hitting the ceiling or people being seriously hurt. I can recall a few times where people ended up with food and drinks in their laps.

However the things that stick in my mind most for one of them, many years later, are the captain's announcement that everything was under control and he'd be available after the flight if anyone wanted to speak to him about it, and how it also made lots of strangers start talking to each other for the rest of the flight, and disembarking was calm instead of the usual panicked rush to get up as soon as we reach the gate.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here are some pretty frightening first person reports, the first from the Daily Mai, the second from The Sun. The first URL relates one mother's story and it seems like her baby had a narrow escape - the turbulence started so quickly that the child initially wasn't attached to the mother but in the cot. Luckily the baby was not hurt and slept through the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ight-hell.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/227258...-packed-brits/

The latter story seems to have had more input - at least unofficially - from BA, and reports 5 crew injured, with 2 of those being more minor. So the captain would not have had a choice but to land at SIN or KUL in terms of crewing levels.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Thanks for the articles, although the Daily Mail is not the easiest to read. Maybe they do it on purpose to keep you on the site longer trying to decipher what they meant to write.
She managed to get her daughter free and strap her to securely strap her chest within a few minutes.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Here are some pretty frightening first person reports, the first from the Daily Mai, the second from The Sun. The first URL relates one mother's story and it seems like her baby had a narrow escape - the turbulence started so quickly that the child initially wasn't attached to the mother but in the cot. Luckily the baby was not hurt and slept through the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ight-hell.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/227258...-packed-brits/

The latter story seems to have had more input - at least unofficially - from BA, and reports 5 crew injured, with 2 of those being more minor. So the captain would not have had a choice but to land at SIN or KUL in terms of crewing levels.
For me, despite what a lot of people say, it makes me more comfortable flying BA.
Simonp27 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:00 am

Hope those involved have a speedy recovery.

Excellent responses to questions from Waterhorse and JerseyPilot.

I too would take anything from Flightradar24 or any other tracking app with a massive pinch of salt, too many algorithms take over and modify data. The only thing reliable is the 1000ft step down which coincides with the 180 turn on the airway to follow the correct allocation of evens/odds for west and east.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.