Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA12 SIN-LHR Jun 15 Returns to SIN : Severe Turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 SIN-LHR Jun 15 Returns to SIN : Severe Turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
An unfortunate reminder about while passengers and flight crew can do this trip safely buckled up, it's not always possible for cabin crew to do this if there is no advance warning. This area is prone to turbulence but rarely on this scale.

Indeed, the Bay of Bengal is notorious and deceiving. It can be smooth but if there is turbulence it is always bad without much warning.

I make it a point to keep my seatbelt on, my partner is one who doesnt but I always make him in that area.

Globalist
crazy8534 and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steve74
Hot off WhattsApp.....
Fell a few thousand feet apparently.
Most of pax apparently are getting a four day stay in Singapore; delay due to check on airframe, and getting a replacement crew out.
WhatsApp, that fountain of truth!
Blenheim likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Steve74
Hot off WhattsApp.....
Fell a few thousand feet apparently.
Most of pax apparently are getting a four day stay in Singapore; delay due to check on airframe, and getting a replacement crew out.
I would surely hope that any passenger who wanted to would have been home much sooner than 4 days late!!
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Those sound like awful injuries. Having broken a leg myself I can say it is most certainly not fun and I wish all concerned a speedy and full recovery. Those injuries sound worse than usual based on other reports of similar incidents.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Jun 16, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37
While I am sure it felt like that to the passengers, it appears to be about 100 feet (which is a lot in free fall) before recovering, changing course and dropping down to 29K feet for the return journey to SIN. (Was at 30K on the LHR leg).

Pilot37
From the earlier descriptions it is clear that when this sort of turbulence happens there is a risk to those on board succumbing to injuries but is there ever any risk to the aircraft's structure or ability to stay in the air? Genuine question - I have no understanding of aerodynamics but if I experienced this I would be extremely nervous!
BAFlyer74 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
I would surely hope that any passenger who wanted to would have been home much sooner than 4 days late!!
Yes - somebody I know who was on the flight is departing this evening (16th) via Dubai to get home, so nobody is being made stay 4 days if their desire is to get home sooner I believe (although the person I know was in Business to be open and honest)

Pilot37
PETER01, wrp96 and flipper118 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Sad to hear of those injured and I wish them all a speedy recovery.

A stark reminder how dangerous a job cabin crew can be especially if working in a galley with hot foods and liquids/carts potentially flying about etc and with possibly perhaps no warning beforehand.

As a passenger i always keep my seatbelt on when seated or sleeping.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Totally unconnected to travel I once stepped off of a 1.5m platform and landed with a tremendous bang on my feet before having opportunity to react. Because I expect significant turbulance to be a 10ft drop I'm very concious of the effect my head hitting the stowage bins would have, so keep seat belt loosely fastened and have an amount of anxiety for crew as soon as we hit a tremble.

I hope everyone is looked after and returns to full health soon.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I was once on a Sri Lankan flight from Bangkok to Colombo and we had this type of turbulence, no crew injuries as the pilot managed to warn everyone, but everything went flying, we all thought we were going to die, everyone was screaming and when we got off the plane they had doctors and medical staff. The next day I was sent a form at the hotel I was staying offering a free flight anywhere on their network provided I signed a disclaimer confirming I understood it was weather related and not pilot error! This was many years ago, and I suspect BA will not be quite as generous.
michlflyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Having seen the aftermath of a severe turbulence event some years ago, and the state of the ceiling in particular, this must have been a truly horrific experience for all involved. Thoughts with passengers and crew who experienced it and wishing the injured crew members a speedy and full recovery.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by PaulN
From the earlier descriptions it is clear that when this sort of turbulence happens there is a risk to those on board succumbing to injuries but is there ever any risk to the aircraft's structure or ability to stay in the air? Genuine question - I have no understanding of aerodynamics but if I experienced this I would be extremely nervous!
No, modern aircraft are able to deal with this stuff, its the unsecured pink wrinkly things inside that struggle with it. Its the unsecured part that is the issue - turbulence is unpleasant ( sometimes very unpleasant) but if you are wearing your seat belt you should be okay. The plane will be just fine
Dan72, PaulN, flygirl68 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jun 17, 2023 at 3:44 am
Old Jun 16, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
No, modern aircraft are able to deal with this stuff, its the unsecured link wrinkly things inside that struggle with it. Its the unsecured part that is the issue - turbulence is unpleasant ( sometimes very unpleasant) but if you are wearing your seat belt you should be okay. The plane will be just fine
Indeed, don't forget they fly (certain) planes into hurricanes - and they come back. A long time ago (1970's?) a plane flying over the Rockies (in the US) did lose 1/2 it's wing due to turbulence - and still landed okay at Denver. Clearly where possible, turbulence is avoided... .
Old Jun 16, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was on this flight, it got a bit rough!

I was told by a crew member that 4 went to Hospital, 2 with query broken bones.

We got off about 5am, bit of confusion about luggage as they initially planned to try and depart 24hr later so kept baggage onboard untill they sorted a new crew.

Got a message that flight had been rescheduled till Monday at 07:45 local so called BA Singapore and i've got a routing back to Manchester on Qatar today Via Doha. Currently enjoying the SATS Lounge and will be home 36hrs later than planned after leaving Sydney Thursday Midday!

Just find the aircraft at Singapore. Parked up doesnt appear that any maintenance work is being done.
dcmike, SW7London, IMH and 14 others like this.

Last edited by stuckatsilver; Jun 16, 2023 at 6:57 pm
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:41 pm

I was on this flight and it was terrifying, the captain came out and confirmed that we dropped 1000ft in just under one second, with 3Gs of gravitational force apparently. Luckily, there was a doctor on board who rushed to aid of the crew and hopefully they recover well. Many passengers are being asked to wait 4 days in Singapore with very limited flights returning back to London as there are not enough available seats. Hopefully all involved recover physically and psychologically as was a very scary flight.
SW7London, toothy, aks120 and 10 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Surely dropping would put you in less gravitational force and climbing increases it?
1000 feet in 1 second sounds like faster than a bullet.
Scary stuff. I will be thinking about it as we go from BKK to DOH in a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.