Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We need to speak with you....

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
We need to speak with you....

Sorry in advance if my search should have answered this... i just received an email from BA saying they need to speak with me about my reservation. I did makeone earlier today... But the 6 letter identifier in the email is NOT the one from the booking i made earlier today...its not any past booking of mine either. As the customer service centre is closed for the day...do any of our fine flyertalkers know what this might be about? Ive checked my account, no sign of hacking... but ive made other bookings off the back of these flights so i hope this isnt a prelude to BA trying to cancel my booking?
Old May 23, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you have a VOIP number such as Skype call BA through their US number which should be open until 7pm EST.
If you are not traveling or scheduled to travel with BA in the near future, or if you assume that this is a faulty e-mail or a non-urgent case, call them tomorrow.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you have a VOIP number such as Skype call BA through their US number which should be open until 7pm EST.
If you are not traveling or scheduled to travel with BA in the near future, or if you assume that this is a faulty e-mail or a non-urgent case, call them tomorrow.
No worries , i will call tomorrow - was just wondering what could have generated the email. There's nothing peculiar about my booking; it was paid for with a voucher. The only odd thing is that when it completed the sale, there was a note saying my chosen seats werent available and to use MMB to pick new ones, which i did. In MMB the 6 digit identifier is the one from the booking process.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also if this PNR includes an AA marketed BA segment or some other codeshare flight; that might be indeed one of your bookings but you might not be aware of the second PNR that the system created.
IMO, check the PNR via MMB using the PNR that you received and your personal last name.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:24 pm

Have you tried going to mmb with the 6 digit PLN sent in the email?

could just be a scammer who’s got the timing right.

is the number in the email a BA number? Is the email genuinely from BA?
Old May 23, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also if this PNR includes an AA marketed BA segment or some other codeshare flight; that might be indeed one of your bookings but you might not be aware of the second PNR that the system created.
IMO, check the PNR via MMB using the PNR that you received and your personal last name.
Vanilla return trip on BA metal afaik
Old May 23, 2023, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i_concur
Have you tried going to mmb with the 6 digit PLN sent in the email?

could just be a scammer who’s got the timing right.

is the number in the email a BA number? Is the email genuinely from BA?
I'm a career IT exec so a scam email was my first thought. My second thought was someone trying to use my account. The PLN in the email doesnt work on MMB.
The email seems legit, as the senders domain is ba.com and it rightly asks you to call them by finding the appropriate number on ba.com or via your dedicated exec club number...
Crap BA IT ?
Old May 23, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LostAntipod
I'm a career IT exec so a scam email was my first thought. My second thought was someone trying to use my account. The PLN in the email doesnt work on MMB.
The email seems legit, as the senders domain is ba.com and it rightly asks you to call them by finding the appropriate number on ba.com or via your dedicated exec club number...
Crap BA IT ?
You can always send a Twitter inbox and see if they see any notes. I got one of these messages for a BA holiday and it was that my hotel had been withdrawn from being offered.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:22 pm

The last (only) time I had this was when they noticed I somehow accidentally had two PNRs created for the same itinerary and they were calling to ask if they should cancel one before two payments were taken. OP please come back to us and let us know!
Old May 23, 2023, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes I suspect it's a payment issue too, either too little or too much or CVV related. I doubt it's mega urgent.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:59 pm

Was the voucher you used issued to you in the first place?

Did someone other than the travelling party pay for any of the booking with their card?

My hunch is that it's a payment issue/query they have. Be very aware of course of any potential scams, as you already will be I'm sure from your line of work.

I hope it turns out to be a very minor thing and you can get your plans back on track!
Old May 23, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I've also gotten a message like this - and it causes a little stress until you finally get through.

In my case, a payment issue - don't worry, they won't cancel anything..
Old May 23, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by StingWest
In my case, a payment issue - don't worry, they won't cancel anything..
Um. Be careful, I have had an itin canx on a payment issue because it took me 48 hours to contact them. While availability in the booked class had disappeared, needless to say it was fully reinstated after some encouragement - it was still some months away so not sure what their urgency was. And probably that the agent had not turned off the auto cancel when taking the payment or noting the payment issue. It was a CVV issue, as in the system lost it.

So I would not be totally assured that you can be totally relaxed on it.

KF
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 3:16 am
Original Poster

I spoke to the call centre just now - they said "the system made two bookings" , my original booking was kept in place , and the PNR on the email was the invalid one, they also confirmed it was nothing that i did to cause this.
It also took 4 attempts to get thru to them - first a recorded message saying they were too busy (so, no priority for silver EC line, it would seem - are they still touting a dedicated number as a benefit?)....second time the line dropped out before answering, third it hung up on me partway thru the recorded BA blab...
So all this palaver, unnecessary time wasted and concern about phishing emails or a lost booking... because their IT isnt up to scratch.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by LostAntipod
It also took 4 attempts to get thru to them - first a recorded message saying they were too busy (so, no priority for silver EC line, it would seem - are they still touting a dedicated number as a benefit?)...
Don't take it personally- it can and does happen on any of the "priority" lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.