Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“I’m not First trained”

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 12:27 pm

seems a lot about nothing. At least flight was not cancelled. I probably wouldn’t have batted an eyelid.
RJD1983 and mtofell like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:31 pm
Suspended

FIRST world problem? 😆
Old May 21, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Apparently, this FA isn't aware of an important concept called, "fake it until you make it." People only know you're inexperienced if you tell them or show them you are. We've likely all been in work or life situations where we we're "over our heads." Telling people that in an attempt to lessen your stress about the situation is pretty poor methodology. I really don't give two craps about an inexperienced FA in terms of bringing me a drink or some food. Has this FA been fully trained in safety procedure? I'd hope the lack of training with food/drink is because all of the training time was spent keeping me safe in a potential crisis.
GeorgeGheal1 likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I would fully appreciate a crew member coming to me with this message. It is much better than hiding it and making mistakes.
Plus being nice about it will make the crew member go the extra mile and almost guarantee a good flight.

Personally I find the rest of the comments just dumb entitlement, and the reason crew might dislike you.
I do not bring chocolates to a crew, but common courtesy and a smile go a very long way.

Globalist.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Personally I would have preferred the crew member not to have disclosed this information, it basically throws his/her employer under the bus, particularly as the reasons were not disclosed. Making BA look bad may seem like fun but ultimately lost customers impacts all staff members.

I think with some effort and concentration working alongside a trained F staff member (and someone in the kitchen I think?) it should be possible to provide a relatively small number of customers with the service required. The service isn't that different from Club.

Maybe at the end of the flight something like "I hope you enjoyed the flight, that was my first time working in First" may have been a more subtle approach.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by SkyLich
FIRST world problem? 😆
Thanks gw76. Saved me doing it.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by brightstar100
I was just on a flight in F. The pleasant young cabin crew member proactively told me that they had not been First trained. They did a great job so no complaints.
To be fair, I had a very mature crew on my recent F flight and thought the service was very average including not knowing how to mix a G&T (half the glass of gin!), twice. No cheese board and no apology for no cheese.

I also flew back from IBZ week before last and, again, the senior crew member was very mature, but I found her very abrasive. I was sitting in 1C and was told 'sir, we've asked you to put that (iPad) away for take-off' and I told her that's not the policy at all. She raised her voice told me it was and to put in the seat pocket....for the younger crew member behind to explain it isn't policy and I was right! When we stood up to get off the plane, a lady in 2F asked 'what was all that about with that crew member? She was very abrasive through the entire flight!'. She was. Like she had no time for anyone.

Conclusion? The more mature crews don't necessarily offer a better service for me.
Old May 22, 2023, 3:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I also flew back from IBZ week before last and, again, the senior crew member was very mature, but I found her very abrasive. I was sitting in 1C and was told 'sir, we've asked you to put that (iPad) away for take-off' and I told her that's not the policy at all. She raised her voice told me it was and to put in the seat pocket....for the younger crew member behind to explain it isn't policy and I was right! When we stood up to get off the plane, a lady in 2F asked 'what was all that about with that crew member? She was very abrasive through the entire flight!'. She was. Like she had no time for anyone.

Conclusion? The more mature crews don't necessarily offer a better service for me.
Was this to LHR or LCY?

I had one from ALC on one occasion who was clearly upset about God knows what and who threw the safety demo equipment on the floor and did the demonstration with a face like thunder. She thawed during the flight but she was known for this sort of tantrum according to other crew as her name was engraved on my brain.
Old May 22, 2023, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. This is your captian speaking. Welcome aboard this British Airways operated A380-800 to Boston. I'm not A380 trained but I can fly an A320 very well and I have the operating manual here with me now. I wish you a pleasant flight."

It is only a matter of time.
bafan, truncated, S_W_S and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I might consider:
1) Complaining to BA re: lack of First trained staff. They'll probably auto compensate a few K Avois
2) Awarding GT to staff member - if you felt the service/effort was good
RJD1983 likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. This is your captian speaking. Welcome aboard this British Airways operated A380-800 to Boston. I'm not A380 trained but I can fly an A320 very well and I have the operating manual here with me now. I wish you a pleasant flight."

I had a similar conversation with a friend who flies Embraer. He confirmed in an emergency situation he would have the basics to land the aircraft regardless of the manufacturer.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:26 am

To be fair, I had a very mature crew on my recent F flight and thought the service was very average including not knowing how to mix a G&T (half the glass of gin!),

My kind of cabin crew !!!
Old May 22, 2023, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
To be fair, I had a very mature crew on my recent F flight and thought the service was very average including not knowing how to mix a G&T (half the glass of gin!), twice. No cheese board and no apology for no cheese.

Out of interest, did you tell the crew member the first one was too strong when ordering the second?
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

It pretty much happened the other week when BA sent a 777 pilot on standby to Seattle to operate a delayed flight back to London where the rostered pilot had gone sick downroute. The problem being it was a 787-9 crew that had suffered the delay.

A British Original.

Minus the PA (and operating the flight regardless).... hopefully!!!
Old May 25, 2023, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I had a similar conversation with a friend who flies Embraer. He confirmed in an emergency situation he would have the basics to land the aircraft regardless of the manufacturer.
Hmm, having flown many types and many manufacturers products, I would not be be as confident. I could help with the radios and checklists, but to actually land the thing. Your friend is a bolder man than I.
flybymonkey and Trident 3B like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.