Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“I’m not First trained”

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rubecula
My take is the situation is nuanced. On a recent flight where the F cabin was full but the Club cabin was not, a club member assisted in the F cabin after the main meal service. They were not F trained but had excellent service skills. It was a good use of the available resources and I appreciated it.
That is different, that was someone coming to help out. In this case, BA sent out 50pc of its First crew without the relevant training even to know that you had to get the screens out for the safety briefing. We aren’t talking “nuance”, we are talking the most basic hygiene factor.
bafan likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
In retail, a manager sending staff out who aren’t checkout trained or knowing the product wouldn’t be long for that world. And nor would the business that allows that to happen. It’s a lack of basic operational standards and management , which is a pretty consistent theme with BA over the years, see priority boarding or lack of.
Fully agree with the above. Yet another example of BA treating it's customers in general and those in premium cabins in particular with total utter contempt as a result of completely indifferent and indeed incompetent management at a senior level. The customer should get what they have paid for which in this case ( with no offence to the CC member concerned ) they did not. Given BA's snake oil type advertising of it's premium product then it is clearly breach of reasonable expectations on behalf of the customer and if it had been me who had spent my hard earned shilling on an F seat on BA ( not a chance in hell) then I would have no hesitation in seeking recompense through legal means.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Obviously it isn't ideal to have someone non F trained serving in F - and that is very much BA's issue to sort out. However, what were the alternatives on the day if no F trained standby were left available? I think if done with the right intention and the cc member was genuinely trying to do her best (which is sounds like from the OP's story) I would be ok with that.

I am more concerned with supposedly F trained crew who simply can't be bothered
jmd, efincomputer, sl1ppy and 7 others like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What's the difference between a CW trained crew member and an F one anyway?
Old May 21, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What's the difference between a CW trained crew member and an F one anyway?
The F trained crew have been taught to curtsy correctly when greeting passengers at the door and to genuflect periodically during the flight, particularly when getting out the entertainment screens for the safety demonstration.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by brightstar100
That is different, that was someone coming to help out. In this case, BA sent out 50pc of its First crew without the relevant training even to know that you had to get the screens out for the safety briefing. We aren’t talking “nuance”, we are talking the most basic hygiene factor.
That is not an F specific training item. My best and worst experiences with BA F are way apart. I would not base my view on one flight.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:16 am

Well at least it is “I’m not first trained” as opposed to, “I’m not qualified to land this thing”.

A legacy of the staffing issues and policy change some years back not to train new recruits on all cabins during their ‘initials’ training.

‘twas always thus prior to the birth of MF, but a significant staffing shortage never really existed at any period prior to their creation.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:40 am

More to the point brightstar100, are you first trained?

We’ve had so many threads about feet, shouting into phones, snoring, rudeness, bad behaviour, drunkenness, shorts, flip flops, body odour etc over the year. I hope all F passengers mind their Ps and Qs and hold the relevant certificate for travel.
visit14 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Maybe I’m not doing F right, but I’d have reassured the crew member, and attempted to put them at their ease. I’ve always felt it’s better not to appear over-entitled, even I that means me having to unstow my own screen.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Maybe I’m not doing F right, but I’d have reassured the crew member, and attempted to put them at their ease. I’ve always felt it’s better not to appear over-entitled, even I that means me having to unstow my own screen.
That’s exactly what I did!

Originally Posted by bisonrav
That’s exactly what I did!
bafan, wrp96 and KARFA like this.

Last edited by Prospero; May 21, 2023 at 12:13 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old May 21, 2023, 8:59 am

Then I don’t see the problem. It might be worth filling in a feedback form to BA if the resulting service was substandard?

I’ve had plenty of poor service from presumably F trained staff in BA cabins. Service is much more attitude than training anyway.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:20 am
Suspended

I think there are 2, distinct, issues here - both of which (surprise !) are down to BA.

The first is, as an employer they've failed their employee by putting that person in a difficult/awkward situation for which they're not properly trained and which is customer-facing. You can bet your last cent who'd get the blame if things went wrong and someone complained.

The second is, that as a business they've failed their customer by not really providing the advertised service. This won't come as a surprise to anyone - especially if they saw the disgusting lettuce on the First dining thread - and is simply more of the same.

I'm sure the crewmember did their best, and that's commendable, but it's down to them having some nous and a bit of 'can do'.

I did note the 'robotic service' trope surfaced again in this thread as 'automatons' (it's actually automata - FYI). I'd like to know which airlines employ these menials who've had the consciousness sucked out of them like some sort of 'Zombies Served My Lunch at 40,000 Feet' B-flick
adrianlondon and mnhusker like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:05 am

If it was a last minute call out for the crew, then all the F trained crew who are not available is a red herring. You play the cards you are dealt, not what is still in the card factory. It’s far from ideal and I’m sure they were being supported by the IFM. It’s not a bad thing that they told you, as you would be well within your rights to be very irritated should you get sub standard service with no explanation. You may still be irritated as you didn’t get (quite) what you paid for, but I’m sure most would happily go on schedule than wait several hours for a suitably qualified crew member. This is the real world as opposed to an ideal one. That said if you are a lawyer or from the “wrong”🤪 side of the pond, such subtleties may be a little over your head. And yes that is me being patronising😂
Old May 21, 2023, 11:55 am

The service doesn't seem to have been deficient though? And this is not exactly a regular event so it's quite a long stretch to go from someone showing anxiety and a little humility (and, it would appear, delivering good service regardless) to the conclusion that BA F service is going to hell in a handcart.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:23 pm

I feel sorry for the crew member in question being shamed. Whilst we don't know the full outcome of how or why he/she was working the cabin to start with everything was otherwise fine and am sure being supported and aided by qualified crew within the cabin. Personally I would have sent a 'well done' post flight as quite clearly the staff member in question has a knack for working in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.