Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to US Covid requirements

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Change to US Covid requirements

For anyone planning travel to the USA later this month I’ve just seen that effective end of day May 11th international travellers will no longer need to prove Covid vaccination to enter the country. Although I still intend to download an up to date vaccination certificate at least I won’t have to deal with the BA IT nightmare trying to upload it.
KRSW, YacozA, shorthauldad and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Soupey202; May 2, 2023 at 3:01 am Reason: Spelling mistake
Old May 2, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Heading to PDX on the 11th - maybe the last time I need to battle with Salesforce
Old May 2, 2023, 4:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is an extract of the Reuters report on this. Last time there was a last minute extension to 11 May, but this time there seems a bit of advance planning for the changes.

Originally Posted by Reuters
WASHINGTON, May 1 (Reuters) - The United States will end its COVID-19 vaccination requirements for international travelers and federal workers on May 11, when the coronavirus public health emergency ends, the White House said on Monday.

In February, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to lift the requirement that most foreign air travelers be vaccinated against COVID-19, one of the few remaining pandemic travel restrictions still in place.

The Biden administration last June dropped its requirement that people arriving in the U.S. by air must test negative for COVID but kept in place Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination requirements for most foreign travelers.

The Homeland Security Department also said Monday starting May 12 it will no longer require non-U.S. travelers entering the United States via land ports of entry and ferries to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination upon request.
crazy8534 and m8_rotate like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by Soupey202
For anyone planning travel to the USA later this month I’ve just seen that effective end of day May 11th international travellers will no longer need to prove Covid vaccination to enter the country. Although I still intend to download an up to date vaccination certificate at least I won’t have to deal with the BA IT nightmare trying to upload it.
It's effective 12 May - the press release wording says it's from the end of 11 May. So if you're landing on 11 May, you may still be asked for vaccination evidence.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...ed-facilities/

Today, we are announcing that the Administration will end the COVID-19 vaccine requirements for Federal employees, Federal contractors, and international air travelers at the end of the day on May 11, the same day that the COVID-19 public health emergency ends.
LETTERBOY and varkey like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 5:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I suspect BA will turn this off on 12 May, so yes I expect if you are landing in the US anytime up to and including 11 May you will still need to upload your jab certificate.
Old May 2, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
What I found interesting was that the CDC were all for extending the requirements again, but were finally overruled by the administration.
RJD1983, KRSW, varkey and 4 others like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by crazy8534
What I found interesting was that the CDC were all for extending the requirements again, but were finally overruled by the administration.
I could imagine CDC wanting to continue this ad infinitum against the possibility of new (foreign) variants being introduced to join the innumerable indigenous infections. I could equally imagine the Admistration wanting to cut costs and inhibitions associated with their processes.
KRSW and crazy8534 like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:12 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect BA will turn this off on 12 May, so yes I expect if you are landing in the US anytime up to and including 11 May you will still need to upload your jab certificate.
Interesting that it appears only BA has required jab docs to be uploaded ahead of time. I don't think the major American carriers have ever required this. On my post-pandemic flights to the US I have not had to show any documentation at all, merely to state that it is available if required for inspection. No one has ever asked to see it.
RNdouble likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Interesting that it appears only BA has required jab docs to be uploaded ahead of time. I don't think the major American carriers have ever required this. On my post-pandemic flights to the US I have not had to show any documentation at all, merely to state that it is available if required for inspection. No one has ever asked to see it.
they don’t require it though. You can ignore it and just show it at check in.
stifle likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1P
AA and Aer Lingus also used VeriFLY. Moreover I remember one of my 2021 AA flights where they had to get a supervisor out due to the 2020 date of my first jab. It was OK in the end, but it was certainly scrutinised.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by 1P
I flew on AA UK>US last week and during check-in on their app you had to upload the cert in order to get the green light to be checked in ( it wasn't obviously using Verifly, but maybe a backend process was in place ) .. If you ignored it and checked in at the airport it's quite possible nobody cares any more at this stage .. but certainly the checkin flow on the app (for non US Citizens/residents) involved uploading a cert
Old May 2, 2023, 8:54 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
I flew on AA UK>US last week and during check-in on their app you had to upload the cert in order to get the green light to be checked in ( it wasn't obviously using Verifly, but maybe a backend process was in place ) .. If you ignored it and checked in at the airport it's quite possible nobody cares any more at this stage .. but certainly the checkin flow on the app (for non US Citizens/residents) involved uploading a cert
Judging from what you and CWS have said, it may have been a One World thing. Never had that with either United or Delta over the past two years.
seanp7 and RNdouble like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Judging from what you and CWS have said, it may have been a One World thing. Never had that with either United or Delta over the past two years.
are you a US citizen?
Old May 2, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by KARFA
are you a US citizen?
Exactly would be my guess that 1P is a US Citizen ( or a resident ) so is not subject to the rule about having to present a vaccine cert when travelling to the US ... I haven't flown on Delta/United to the US recently, but I assume if I did I would have to upload something just like I did with previous AA / BA flights
Old May 2, 2023, 10:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Before the thread is locked because of of vaccine opinions - I will add my voice to those delighted that this restriction has been lifted. It was long overdue but is welcome none the less.

Maybe the cognoscenti may know rather than guess what is sacrosanct about 12th May and not with immediate effect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.