Wiki Posts
Search

BA 918 30th March 2023 - no luggage loaded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Blue
BA 918 30th March 2023 - no luggage loaded

This morning BA918 from Terminal 3 to Stuttgart arrived without bags.

Having AirTagged every my luggage I could see mine was likely still at Heathrow, but waited anyway.
After about 20 the flight disappeared from the belt display and I said to a fellow traveler that this was odd, especially as STR is usually very quick.
Another ten minutes and customs officer told us that there wouldn’t be any bags.

The crew left the airport as well and walked past all the passengers waiting. Would they have known no luggage was loaded? If so, it’s poor form not to tell us, I think.

Anyways, I filled out a missing luggage report and the case arrived at STR tonight. Of course, this was the first time in years I didn’t have any spares in hand luggage so had to buy some basics, totalling to about €100, would BA quibble about that? Didn’t go overboard, just socks, unmentionables, pyjamas and some toiletries.

Second question, I asked for the case to be sent to my sister’s, will she need my boarding pass or anything else?

The good surprise was the baggage tracing company in Stuttgart, very efficient and friendly.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Not sure about the cost reclaim, but for delivery I think you can specify whatever address you wish and the courier won't be interested in who they're delivering to!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Yes the crew, pilots at least, would definitely have known there were no bags onboard
SxMan and BearX220 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by surryson
Yes the crew, pilots at least, would definitely have known there were no bags onboard
The pilots will definitely know if none have been loaded at all, but they likely won’t know if some but not all have been as they’ll still see baggage bins on the loadsheet.

BA will cover reimburse reasonable purchases if you upload receipts - they tend not to argue over this and pay quickly.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:24 am

Yes you will be able to nominate and update an address for delivery, you will also be able to claim for incidentals. I don't think the flight crew will have known about no bags being loaded unless specifically told of such. We generally do not see Loading Instruction Reports or LIRs on the flight deck, this is a red cap function. Unless the ACARS wasn't working the crew wouldn't have seen a breakdown of the deadload by compartment as we now receive preliminary loadsheets via ACARS and unlike a computerised load sheet from a printer, there is less information contained.
The payload for the operational flight plan only shows a traffic or pay load that would equate to the number of humans present, and that was generated more than 2 hours prior to the scheduled time of departure. I have a feeling this flight was nominated to not be attended by loading teams due to the limited resource, and probably just one or two bins worth of bags likely to have been loaded meaning the limited resource was allocated to a flight with a larger load.
We only see the preliminary and final load sheet, neither contain a breakdown of the deadweight in the holds like the previous load sheets did. The only other piece of paper we are presented with is a NOTOC and that will only include details of special categories of cargo/mail/baggage carried, so I don't think they necessarily knew.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:33 am

I’d venture that it would highly unusual for the TRM not to make mention of something like that but of course we’ll never know.

Wouldn’t the preliminary loadsheet have have contained predictive baggage weights, as well as pax weights? Perhaps a change in ZFW??

Anyway, I don’t suppose that there are a lot of checked bags on a STR, save for transfers mainly.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by surryson
I’d venture that it would highly unusual for the TRM not to make mention of something like that but of course we’ll never know.

Wouldn’t the preliminary loadsheet have have contained predictive baggage weights, as well as pax weights? Perhaps a change in ZFW??

Anyway, I don’t suppose that there are a lot of checked bags on a STR, save for transfers mainly.

I’d agree with your first point in general, if you can ever find or see one for more than 30 seconds these days haha! We won’t know though as we’re weren’t there.

The prelim doesn’t contain that information. It is somewhat truncated compared to a traditional loadsheet. We do get pax splits and pantry effects, but not a load in compartments section.
I don’t think there would have been a change in MACZFW/TOW or ZFW as the below wing load was never included in the flight edits due to spreading the load on resourcing. Hence the flight plan having a traffic load that is only reflective of the human passengers booked.

Only the HBO pax are unaffected and transported otherwise seemingly without issue and with plenty of other rotations into Germany, the bags wouldn't have been too long behind I’d wager.

I do think a message should be sent via text/email when there won’t be a chance of loading bags. It can be done for cancellations, being accepted off standby, reduced catering etc, so no reason it can’t be included for this too.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
I’d agree with your first point in general, if you can ever find or see one for more than 30 seconds these days haha! We won’t know though as we’re weren’t there.

The prelim doesn’t contain that information. It is somewhat truncated compared to a traditional loadsheet. We do get pax splits and pantry effects, but not a load in compartments section.
I don’t think there would have been a change in MACZFW/TOW or ZFW as the below wing load was never included in the flight edits due to spreading the load on resourcing. Hence the flight plan having a traffic load that is only reflective of the human passengers booked.

Only the HBO pax are unaffected and transported otherwise seemingly without issue and with plenty of other rotations into Germany, the bags wouldn't have been too long behind I’d wager.

I do think a message should be sent via text/email when there won’t be a chance of loading bags. It can be done for cancellations, being accepted off standby, reduced catering etc, so no reason it can’t be included for this too.
ah… good point about the TRM (or lack of) on SH….(!)
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Blue
Just a quick update on this one: My luggage did arrive about 24h after I did, delivered to my sister's house without issues.

Submitted the claim once I was back in London and have heard back from BA today. They will reimburse me and will send a cheque for the GBP equivalent of my outlay. I had a little eye roll at the cheque in 2023, but in the end if I get reimbursed all is well.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.