Wiki Posts
Search

Earliest check in - First - security?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Earliest check in - First - security?

Hi all

Quick question. I'm flying LHR to SIN in First. Flight departs 19.55.

What's the earliest I can get into the lounges? I had thought I could drop bags and enter any time from 5am flying First. But I have a friend (who's familiar with airport security) who insists that you're not allowed to go through security any earlier than T - 6 hours. I think the reasoning is that they don't want people hanging around too long airside.

Does anyone know if this is true? I often check in for F flights quite early (4 or so hours before), but this time I'm probably going to get to the airport about 1pm.

Thanks in advance,
Old May 14, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I think Staus, First or Business passengers can enter whenever they want.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is indeed anytime the same calendar day of departure from 05:00 hrs onwards. There used to be a 3 hour rule for non status passenger without lounge access, but the self tagging baggage machines don't have a deadline programmed into them so they work at any stage in the day too.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
That's good to know CWS, thanks. We have a 2.5 - 3 hr drive to LHR which involves the M1 or A1 and the M25 so we like to add some flex in addition to the suggested 3hr reporting time if we are travelling the same day. If traffic is light, we can end up there quite early.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mas0282
Hi all

Quick question. I'm flying LHR to SIN in First. Flight departs 19.55.

What's the earliest I can get into the lounges? I had thought I could drop bags and enter any time from 5am flying First.
For an 8pm flight I've arrived at 8am and worked all day in the lounge, so it shouldn't be a problem. Only times I've had an issue is at third party outstation lounges (or ones where the lounge doesn't open at all until 3 hours before the BA flight). Usually managed to get in but charged some of the time to Priority Pass.

Lincolnite: watch out for potholes, cost me a bit last weekend coming down from that area
Old May 15, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I'll be doing something a bit more enjoyable in 10 days - leaving my bags at F check-in at 8am for a 9.15pm departure to JNB. The intervening period will be largely filled by attending the test match at Lords!
Old May 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

In my experience with mainline carriers the 2 or 3 hr stuff is just a minimum availability. If someone is at the desk they will give you your boarding pass, etc. I did have a situation 2 days ago with Turkish airlines where the attendant wouldn't check me in, and I think told me I couldn't check-in until 3hrs before the flight. Admitted, there was a language barrier, but I went to the Turkish service desk, explained the issue, and was promptly checked-in, issued boarding passes, and headed to the lounge. This was after a seemingly heated exchange between the service desk person, and the check-in counter lady.

Never had a problem what-so-ever w/ BA.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ibmman69
Never had a problem what-so-ever w/ BA.
I believe the 3 hour limit for non-status/non-premium/non-machine check in cannot be manually overridden.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I've often had this problem in USA for internal AA flights, where I';m too early to check in bags. However, on about 50% of occasions the desk agent (esp middle aged females on the First desk, for some reason) will say, "let me see if i can get you on the earlier flight - which they invariably do. Nice
Old May 15, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL
At LCA the other day, the Swissport staff on my he BA desks flatly refused to take our checked luggage more than three hours ahead of time, claiming there were no containers to store them in for the extra ~4 hours prior.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
We had same problem at GLA, we arrived around three hours early and they refused to take the one bag, and there was no seating area to wait!
Old May 16, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've landed at LHR at 5am on one ticket, with 12 hours until the next ticket departure. Never had a problem as status holder going into Cathay, where I slept on the soft around the corner for three hours. And I've sat in T5 Galleries F for five or more hours no problems.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Outstations too often impose the 3 hour rule, regardless of your status. Even worse, sometimes check-in isn't open 3 hours before the flight. Such is life.

Always a pleasure to get early in Heathrow and look over the runway, though.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Does anyone know whether the position on early checkin at LHR is the same now? I have a friend who is stuck in London for today and has a flight at 1935 (Gold, CE). Does anyone think he would have a problem checking in at about 1400?

Thanks!

Last edited by hsmall; Apr 13, 2023 at 5:48 am
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Should be absolutely fine.

aks120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.