Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR in First Direct

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by bzado
Thank you for asking. It is a bit of a challenging thing as even if she were suffering from something she would never tell me. Without going into revealing specifics, she was raised in a manner that suggested that one can never reveal weakness, even if it is a matter of grave importance. I highly suspect that she is now much the same way. On the positive side, she has always been like this - demanding perfection from everyone around her just as much as she demands it from herself. There are quite a few amusing episodes I can recount from my formative years wherein her tendency to rip everything to shreds made its appearance in wholly inappropriate circumstances. I try to be better. And, nevertheless, as she is getting older, I do worry about her which is why I want to see her. She is undeniably a very difficult person but she means well in her way.

As a non-Westerner, I believe she would have enjoyed that obsequious service, and moreover, expects it. With that said, even I who was raised in America was rather shocked by the British way, as it were. I had not been to the ME but I had indeed heard stories like this, and a few friends had, perhaps somewhat teasingly, said I would feel right at home over there.

This is an excellent point, appreciate the datapoint. I am sure I would get an earful about such hassles and I honestly had not considered that baggage might need to be reclaimed. There is an outstanding question about how the PS service at LAX would handle it, as she would need to land at the airport first which presumably defeats the entire idea of the service. Curious why your friend had insisted?

Many thanks to all again for their input. Got a lot to think about!
Please stop worrying about this.
Book her a direct flight in F on BA. Give them a call and follow up with a confirmation email requesting everyone in the cabin designated to her seat make an exceptional effort to make her feel special.
The crew in F will make sure she is looked after.
Tell her she can ask when she wants her bed made, when shed like to eat etc.
LH BA F is rather good. Ive personally never been demanding but Ive witnessed others being so and they are dealt with courtesy, professionalism and a smile.
I bet your mums more worried than you are.
bzado likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
The reason our friend insisted was based on a few points. All legitimate but all overshadowed by the extra time and all the extra flight and connection entailed
- CW was 8 across a cramped cabin and the climbing over people was not great : all irrelevant with the CS now especially in the A350
- F vs CW is a nicer experience. A better staff ratio, better alcohol, a more personal experience food all of it so a definite step up
- the CCR both at JFK and LHR
all valid points on their own merit

that was the reason he wanted to fly F and thought the extra flight connection would be a non issue. It wasnt. It was an issue
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
The reason our friend insisted was based on a few points. All legitimate but all overshadowed by the extra time and all the extra flight and connection entailed
- CW was 8 across a cramped cabin and the climbing over people was not great : all irrelevant with the CS now especially in the A350
- F vs CW is a nicer experience. A better staff ratio, better alcohol, a more personal experience food all of it so a definite step up
- the CCR both at JFK and LHR
all valid points on their own merit

that was the reason he wanted to fly F and thought the extra flight connection would be a non issue. It wasnt. It was an issue
I know and understand the distance and travel options having done the route. If mum is older and particular, the less hassle the better.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Gallus1
Please stop worrying about this.
Book her a direct flight in F on BA.
There is no F to YVR anymore, thus the conversation about alternatives.
ijgordon, MeltingAlf and bzado like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA
Someone mentioned float planes earlier...
Harbour Air has a couple of daily flights from Downtown Vancouver (Coal Harbour) to Downtown Seattle (Lake Union). Perhaps arrange for a private car and driver to do a transfer from Lake Union to SEA, and take care of the luggage, right from the dock through to first class check-in? It might offer the right atmosphere of exclusivity and care (which would be more challenging to create on a YVR-SEA-LHR connection; or the train; or even a Vancouver-Seattle taxi having to queue at the border, etc.).
bzado likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
There is no F to YVR anymore, thus the conversation about alternatives.

My bad. Sorry for sticking my nose in!
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by Nonspecific
Someone mentioned float planes earlier...
Harbour Air has a couple of daily flights from Downtown Vancouver (Coal Harbour) to Downtown Seattle (Lake Union). Perhaps arrange for a private car and driver to do a transfer from Lake Union to SEA, and take care of the luggage, right from the dock through to first class check-in? It might offer the right atmosphere of exclusivity and care (which would be more challenging to create on a YVR-SEA-LHR connection; or the train; or even a Vancouver-Seattle taxi having to queue at the border, etc.).
This sounds like a great idea, I was looking at Harbour Air as an option already. Is there a service at SEA that is similar to PS at LAX?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Forget about asking for First <> Business as said before Business is the highest service on SAS etc.

Why don't you ask her for "You want a flat bed with direct isle access. Is hat right?" as that is probably what she wants as NA First is still way inferior to international business. And direct beats connecting any day of the week.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
As someone mentioned earlier up thread, book her n AC J class. The Signature Service Lounge at YVR by itself will wow her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.