Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Belfast BHD Aspire Lounge : refurbished and reopened

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Belfast BHD Aspire Lounge : refurbished and reopened

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Stormbel
If I remember correctly those were the days when there was a downstairs and an upstairs lounge and an area upstairs that only had access for the special few.
That was in LHR T1 domestic!

BHD had a separate inner sanctum for DC members, accessed by a card swipe on a door. The DC lounge was roughly where the old Aspire lounge was (or maybe the BA lounge as I know the upper level was extended towards the SW to fit everything in). The bmi business lounge was where the BA lounge, or maybe Starbucks, was (I can’t recall exactly where the airbridge access was in the lounge , though the WCs were inside the lounge rather than in a separate corridor. There was direct jetty access from the lounge. The FlyBE lounge was where the main departures area now is. In those days the main departure area was where security now is on the ground floor and security was where the coffee shop is between the departures entrance and arrivals. There was an airside stairwell roughly where the escalator up from security now is.

I remember the first time I went to the bmi lounge and it felt really strange going up the deserted stairwell and along deserted corridors to the lounge thinking I might get turned away.

Back then there were doors A B C and D from the departure lounge into the gate corridor. The bmi lounge boarded directly into the sole airbridge from the upper level while those not in the lounge accessed the airbridge from the main gate corridor via the stairs.

The expansion of the airport saw the main departures area moved upstairs, by moving the lounges across, and security moved into the space where the old departures area was. Later the departures area was expanded to the front of the building where duty free and WHSmith now are.

More recently the arrivals area was expanded to allow for international arrivals with an additional reclaim area with customs control and a bypass staircase (so the whole gate area from gate 7 onwards doesn’t have to be closed to allow an international arrival). I still don’t get the logic over using the full baggage halls for all domestic arrivals when there are no internationals due. I get that LHR arrivals need to pass customs due to transfers, but this week domestic arrivals had baggage on the international belt while LHR baggage was on the “old” belt beyond customs / agriculture / Police control points…..

The terminal has proven to be remarkably versatile but when I went through this week (albeit on EasyJet) I couldn’t help feeling that the terminal feels a lot less premium than before. I think the new pick up and car park arrangements take the biscuit. Parking for 1 day cost Ł41.99 despite big posters in the airport advertising 1 week parking for Ł34.99. I suppose it’s still better than the alternative at BFS!
Kgmm77, Stormbel and OnslowSW7 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm passing through in 3 weeks, so looking forward to trying out the new facilities.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bd95
That was in LHR T1 domestic!

BHD had a separate inner sanctum for DC members, accessed by a card swipe on a door. The DC lounge was roughly where the old Aspire lounge was (or maybe the BA lounge as I know the upper level was extended towards the SW to fit everything in). The bmi business lounge was where the BA lounge, or maybe Starbucks, was (I can’t recall exactly where the airbridge access was in the lounge , though the WCs were inside the lounge rather than in a separate corridor. There was direct jetty access from the lounge. The FlyBE lounge was where the main departures area now is. In those days the main departure area was where security now is on the ground floor and security was where the coffee shop is between the departures entrance and arrivals. There was an airside stairwell roughly where the escalator up from security now is.

I remember the first time I went to the bmi lounge and it felt really strange going up the deserted stairwell and along deserted corridors to the lounge thinking I might get turned away.

Back then there were doors A B C and D from the departure lounge into the gate corridor. The bmi lounge boarded directly into the sole airbridge from the upper level while those not in the lounge accessed the airbridge from the main gate corridor via the stairs.

The expansion of the airport saw the main departures area moved upstairs, by moving the lounges across, and security moved into the space where the old departures area was. Later the departures area was expanded to the front of the building where duty free and WHSmith now are.

More recently the arrivals area was expanded to allow for international arrivals with an additional reclaim area with customs control and a bypass staircase (so the whole gate area from gate 7 onwards doesn’t have to be closed to allow an international arrival). I still don’t get the logic over using the full baggage halls for all domestic arrivals when there are no internationals due. I get that LHR arrivals need to pass customs due to transfers, but this week domestic arrivals had baggage on the international belt while LHR baggage was on the “old” belt beyond customs / agriculture / Police control points…..

The terminal has proven to be remarkably versatile but when I went through this week (albeit on EasyJet) I couldn’t help feeling that the terminal feels a lot less premium than before. I think the new pick up and car park arrangements take the biscuit. Parking for 1 day cost Ł41.99 despite big posters in the airport advertising 1 week parking for Ł34.99. I suppose it’s still better than the alternative at BFS!
The new drop-off charge at BHD (albeit less than LHR) is unhelpful. Note that the first 10 minutes is still free in the BHD long-stay car park (3-5 mins walk from the terminal) so if your own car or some other taxi service (not Value Cabs who have a monopoly on the terminal taxi rank) is picking you up, tell them to meet you in the long stay car park and assuming they stay less than 10 minutes, you avoid the terminal pick-up charge and any parking charge.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Smile

The new lounge looks really good - a huge upgrade. The toilets are still being refurbished so it’s still the ones opposite Caffč Nero for now. There’s more choice available for breakfast as well - scrambled eggs, sausages, hash browns and (tinned) tomatoes, rather than the dry sausage baps. I spent a good five minutes looking for the orange juice -it’s no longer in the fridge but, along with water, comes from a dispenser to the left of the fridges. Likely to be a pinch point when the lounge is busy. Kudos to Aspire - it all looks lovely.
TRISTAR1979 and GuyWMD like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Update as of 23rd. Toilets still closed off. Speaking to the staff, they're ready to go, however the issue is the cleaning staff are still waiting for their airside passes. They're 'hoping' this should finally be sorted for Monday 28th. We'll see...

Soda fountain out of action, again not sure if temporary or something else.
Still (pleasantly!) shocked how nice it is. I was on the last flight out for the evening (19:45 back to LHR) and even at 19:30 it was good to see the lounge stocked with food. Most shocking of all, plentiful supplies of Tayto Smokey Bacon!!

A few more pics of the last to open side & catering.

Genius1, aks120, blurt91 and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you for posting the pictures GuyWMD,
We were there in June when renovations were still taking place so really nice to see it finished.
Looking forward to being there in a few weeks.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Yes thanks GuyWMD for the update and pics. Going through on the 6th and 22nd next month ..first visits since the refurb. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:59 pm

First visit this morning. Toilets open and soda stream working, but only one coffee machine resulting in a bit of a queue. Having a fry as CNN is covering a story about a passenger with diarrhea on a Delta flight! Ideal fry consuming material before a flight!😂
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:59 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by blurt91
First visit this morning. Toilets open and soda stream working, but only one coffee machine resulting in a bit of a queue. Having a fry as CNN is covering a story about a passenger with diarrhea on a Delta flight! Ideal fry consuming material before a flight!😂
It’s a great little lounge - was absolutely rammed last week and the staff were struggling to keep everything stocked etc but can’t see it always being like that.

Never seen the airport so bad as last week - security queue must have been 30+ minutes.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
It’s a great little lounge - was absolutely rammed last week and the staff were struggling to keep everything stocked etc but can’t see it always being like that.

Never seen the airport so bad as last week - security queue must have been 30+ minutes.
Certainly wasn't like that this morning. Were you travelling during the ATC meltdown or its after effects?
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:06 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by blurt91
Certainly wasn't like that this morning. Were you travelling during the ATC meltdown or its after effects?
I was actually heading out on the Friday - which, in fairness - would have been one of the busiest days of the year.

I did fly back on the Monday in the middle of the ATC chaos though and it was pleasant enough as I think our flight must have been the only one that was departing LCY.

Look forwarding to trying the lounge again when it's not so crazy in there, was brilliant to be able to get a bite to eat before flying - if only this was there when I was doing it 2/3 times weekly.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 11:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
is boarding from the lounge back open?
Old Sep 6, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
My partner flew from Belfast to Heathrow a week ago and the boarding was from the lounge as previously. I have photographs on my desktop that I was sent showing that two of the ceiling tiles are already starting to work their way loose and one looks like there might be a little bit of water damage!
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I note a number of BA pieces of furniture have been re-used, albeit in re-upholstered condition.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KARFA
is boarding from the lounge back open?
Yes.

However... they don't seem to be quite as prompt/efficient at opening the doors up as they once were. So, if you're not careful by the time you're at the boarding door the rest of the jet bridge is full and all other groups are in line.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.