Wiki Posts
Search

Temporary LHR/LGW switches

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Temporary LHR/LGW switches

In a slight odd move, British Airways will be temporarily shifting its services to Nuremberg/Pisa/Valencia from Heathrow to Gatwick.

Flights will operate from Gatwick between 29 March and 10 April, before reverting back to Heathrow.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
In a slight odd move, British Airways will be temporarily shifting its services to Nuremberg/Pisa/Valencia from Heathrow to Gatwick.

Flights will operate from Gatwick between 29 March and 10 April, before reverting back to Heathrow.
Is it to do with the A321CEO frames that are being shifted over to Gatwick perhaps?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
More potential buggeration for those who have to connect to LHR! 🤬
skipness1E and Luther.e like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
This sounds like some sort of "fire-break" for the ground handling resources shortage at LHR to me to get through the Easter holiday rush.
plunet, irishguy28, SxMan and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Those very lucky souls will have a great trip !
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
How strange. And what will happen to those pax with LHR connections?
Cargoguy and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Presumably crewed from LHR by "real" BA?
BAeuro likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA
I wonder how this is supposed to work. We are flying SAN-LHR-PSA with a 2:25 layover. I was just informed that our second flight is now departing from Gatwick. We do this trip regularly and sometimes 2:25 is cutting it close at Heathrow. I can't imagine how they expect us to make it to Gatwick in time. We have our plan B in place for when we get delayed/canceled at LHR but have no idea how to handle this one. Any suggestions?
SxMan and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:59 am

Programs: Blue card
Originally Posted by BAeuro

Even stranger, those are all T3 flights
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Originally Posted by slowspeed
I wonder how this is supposed to work. We are flying SAN-LHR-PSA with a 2:25 layover. I was just informed that our second flight is now departing from Gatwick. We do this trip regularly and sometimes 2:25 is cutting it close at Heathrow. I can't imagine how they expect us to make it to Gatwick in time. We have our plan B in place for when we get delayed/canceled at LHR but have no idea how to handle this one. Any suggestions?
Call the contact center, I'm not sure what the published MCT is between LHR-LGW but as you say, 2:25 is highly unlikely to be possible.

Pro-active action is probably better if you want to arrive at your destination as planned.

CB
RNdouble likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
MCT between LHR and LGW is 3 hours. It actually takes about 75 to 100 minutes via the various routes open to travellers. Anything under 3 hours will get fixed by robots eventually but it's OK to call up instead.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:48 am

I'd say the realistic MCT is more like 4hrs at the moment as you need to wait and collect your bags at LHR . If you can make the timings work then LHR-Bologna could be a good alternative
slowspeed, wrp96, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Bignorm42
Even stranger, those are all T3 flights
A precursor to temporary T5 to T3 flight moves? Or to allow BA to move staff from T3 to T5? The latter would make more sense.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For once, something BA did worked in my favour. I was flying to Pisa and then train to Florence and was due at Heathrow the night before (as coming in from Istanbul). GGL line answered after one ring and was able to change outbound to Bologna(and later in the day so I get a decent night's sleep) and the return Florence to London City which is perfect as I loie closer to City than Heathrow.

I had my options ready to make is easy for the agent and he was happy to make the change so the message is to know what you would like to do and perhaps it will be possible!

BONDY
wrp96, PGberkshire, mjh0 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by sammyg901
I'd say the realistic MCT is more like 4hrs at the moment as you need to wait and collect your bags at LHR . If you can make the timings work then LHR-Bologna could be a good alternative
add in the possibility of rail strikes, and the timing increases even further. Unless of course one wishes to risk the motorways 😬🫣
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.