Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

28 minute domestic-international T5 connection... possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28 minute domestic-international T5 connection... possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:38 am

Unsure it would have helped the OP in this case, but the conformance time really should be reduced for passengers who haven’t checked bags. I could see the programming more difficult when multiple airlines are involved, but within T5 it should be doable.

It also strikes me that flight connections ground staff should have some flexibility when passengers have narrowly missed conformance and don’t have bags: “oh this person has 28 minutes and it’s an A Gates departure and there are no checked bags… override.”

For an airline that likes cost savings, you’d think this would be something they’d look at. Reducing even a couple of EU261 claims per day would fund additional agents to make this happen.
D1L likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by makin'miles
It also strikes me that flight connections ground staff should have some flexibility when passengers have narrowly missed conformance and don’t have bags: “oh this person has 28 minutes and it’s an A Gates departure and there are no checked bags… override.”
I am all in favour of MCT and conformance being reduced, and I've taken advantage of some leeway on this, so "look, it's gate A11, just upstairs and around the corner after Weatherspoon, can you call Control and the gate please?" - then usually that does the trick if the agent isn't doing that anyway. However if I have read the above correctly, the gap was down to 16 minutes to A12, further over, and 10 minutes is supposed to be close down. So knowing that it takes a few minutes on the phone to resolve this, I think this is a bad example, it's not impossible, but too tight and too disruptive at this point.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I assume this is nothing to do with HAL as t5 is a ba only terminal and ba makes the rules ?
Originally Posted by sammyg901
I assume once the door is closed the gate staff can go to their next "job"? So holding the gate might delay another flight. But a system that takes all these data points into account and tells the staff how long to hold for and makes conformance dynamic shouldn't be very difficult to create
It is very much a HAL driven initiative and will likely be coming to other euro and global hubs soon if not already. It is all controlled out of HAL's 'APOC' situated in the Compass Centre.

You can read more about the concept here https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/...X.2021.1876461

As for the modelling used, I doubt post pandemic facility wide stakeholder staff shortages were envisaged, hence it is shooting stakeholders in the foot somewhat. As CWS mentions, there are interventions and mitigations, but it requires humans to be in agreement with that sort of decision.
sammyg901 likes this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Feb 24, 2023 at 2:10 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes there is a bp check and yes there is conformance.

i fully expect once you take off, and if still estimating an arrival which is 28 minutes or less before the scheduled departure time of the onward flight, that you will have been already offloaded and rebooked on a later flight.
Yep. Unfortunately, on arrival even if it’s obvious to me as a passenger that I can still make it, BA at T5 generally won’t be able to get around to fixing the situation fast enough for me to make a conformance check for my originally booked flights.

One of these times, I’m going to go in with a backup boarding pass (for a later same-day T5 flight) to clear the conformance check and make it to the gate while the gate is still open and busy for boarding of my originally booked flight — which BA tried to stop me from reaching by way of rebooking me and otherwise denying me passaged at the conformance check — and try to board as originally booked and checked in. I have just been too nice to concede so far on this.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am all in favour of MCT and conformance being reduced, and I've taken advantage of some leeway on this, so "look, it's gate A11, just upstairs and around the corner after Weatherspoon, can you call Control and the gate please?" - then usually that does the trick if the agent isn't doing that anyway.
That kind of special treatment hasn’t ever come my way. I am just wondering if anyone has yet pushed on the conformance check being a practice that leads to being involuntarily denied boarding by BA.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 24, 2023 at 6:26 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is very much a HAL driven initiative and will likely be coming to other euro and global hubs soon if not already. It is all controlled out of HAL's 'APOC' situated in the Compass Centre.

You can read more about the concept here https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/...X.2021.1876461

As for the modelling used, I doubt post pandemic facility wide stakeholder staff shortages were envisaged, hence it is shooting stakeholders in the foot somewhat. As CWS mentions, there are interventions and mitigations, but it requires humans to be in agreement with that sort of decision.
An interesting read.

It is clever but not really in the real world ( your example above). things like "Such a predictive system would enable the PFM to resource immigration desks in advance of passenger surges, reducing the likelihood of queue breaches."

assumes immigration will do as asked which seems not to be the case as the operate in their own bubble.

​​​​​​​Any system should also allow exceptions. Exceptions are of course a pain as they get abused, but when you can see the gate and that flight has been delayed there needs to be some level of common sense.

I am surprised ( staggered actually) that BA are not in ultimate control as it is their airline, their terminal and they who pay compo when the computer says no.

Thank you for your input and taking the time to reply
Captain Schmidt and Sigwx like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:21 am

It has indeed all got a bit silly in the blame game dept of delay allocation. Conformance has become a slightly irrelevant concept since the pandemic due to severe staffing issues across the board, but when ramp teams are affected it just shoots the airline in the foot and alienates the customers. To ensure a delay isn't put down to 'you' or 'your department/work area', the relevant groups follow the critical time path as close to the letter as possible.
An example would be that there are 11 missing pax from the checked in total, we know 2 cleared conformance before deadline and were last 'seen' entering the lounge. The remaining 9 have now missed -35 mins cut off and are automatically offloaded. Of that 9, 2 bags have made it into the transfer system so we need to locate those and make sure they are no-fly listed. The others will end up being re-flighted when they show up in the system. However today we have now closed the gate on time and the aircraft door is closed, but the flight will have a 20 minute delay put on it as the loading team are late from another job as they are short staffed and have only just started their below wing processes. So we sit there for 20 mins and they load, within the last 5 minutes all 9 pax off two different flights have now presented their BPs and been denied travel through flight connections. The 20 mins is up and we've still got another 6 minutes to wait before the tug gets here so an additional 10 mins is added of the Estimated Off Blocks Time. That is additional time that could have seen the 9 pax accepted and boarded, with their luggage being the only element that might be delayed.
Welcome to the post pandemic daily reality. The theory on conformance works when fully staffed and only goes belly up on days of mass disruption, but there are bigger issues on those days regardless. Nowadays it is total pot luck.
One of the best explanations to a layman like myself I have read.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
Afraid I've never graced BA F so can't comment. Here's a picture of everything you get.
Is it just me, or does this photo look like something a prisoner receives as part of his induction into Wormwood Scrubs?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
One of these times, I’m going to go in with a backup boarding pass (for a later same-day T5 flight) to clear the conformance check and make it to the gate while the gate is still open and busy for boarding of my originally booked flight — which BA tried to stop me from reaching by way of rebooking me and otherwise denying me passaged at the conformance check — and try to board as originally booked and checked in. I have just been too nice to concede so far on this.
Yes I have done this before successfully to overcome the customer-hostile treatment of not letting you even try and reach a perfectly reachable gate in time.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Is it just me, or does this photo look like something a prisoner receives as part of his induction into Wormwood Scrubs?
There were rather a lot of 'prisoners' at Renaissance Scrubs yesterday! I wonder how many ended up there off BA1403...

The dinner was also rather down-at-heel, being self-serve with a limited selection. It wouldn't have looked out of place at Wormwood Scrubs to be honest!

UK261 claim submitted - let's see whether I get any response within 8 weeks. If not, next stop CEDR.
​​​
Originally Posted by BA97
Yes I have done this before successfully to overcome the customer-hostile treatment of not letting you even try and reach a perfectly reachable gate in time.
I think this is the most frustrating part of the experience for me. I will never know for sure whether I would have made the gate, but it seems within the realms of possibility.

As it happened, I had just watched a video the day before where a flight reviewer was manually let through for a tight connection - and that was with them being an international arrival so having to pass through security. I therefore hoped that the same might happen for me.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA97
Yeah thought this might work. Only potential snafu would be that since you don’t scan the BP at security for the flight you want to take, you might get offloaded and your seat given away. I’ve had this happen to me for different reasons; flight wasn’t full so
gor sorted out at the gate.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by flarmip
Indeed. I wasn't expecting them to hold the gate, I'm not a VIP! But I do expect to be given a chance to try and make it before it shuts.
As I was leaving the CCR a couple of weeks ago, I met a lurking GGLFL member who was supposed to be on the same flight as me, only his connection was late so he had been offloaded. Despite his attempts to be reinstated, he failed.

That our flight from A4 didn't load until 15 minutes after I got there, and then was delayed a further 20 minutes before pushback didn't help, but did put his blood pressure up when we talked about it the next time we met..
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
but did put his blood pressure up when we talked about it the next time we met..
Easily done in his case, I think his watch tells him every few minutes to take a little rest to avoid further problems.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
To the OP, next time see if you can get a re-route to ZRH and take a train (only about an hour with plenty of trains) to Basel.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by catandmouse
To the OP, next time see if you can get a re-route to ZRH and take a train (only about an hour with plenty of trains) to Basel.
I did consider that, but the last flight to ZRH is only 10 minutes later at 19:35, and was on time. The only location anywhere nearby that has a later flight is STR (the very same 20:10 BA922 that I was due to take last Friday!), but I also had a car to pick up and that flight would arrive after the STR car hire place closed, so no point.

​​​I'm getting rather more familiar with BA's list of mid-European evening departures than I'd like!
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let us be clear: HAL does not force anything on BA here. It is entirely up to BA whether or not to accept a passenger who present themselves at the conformance point past the normal cut-off point. It remains squarely a BA decision, not a HAL decision. HAL provides the infrastructure that enables BA to take those decisions but the decisions are BA's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.