FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   28 minute domestic-international T5 connection... possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2112803-28-minute-domestic-international-t5-connection-possible.html)

flarmip Feb 23, 2023 9:24 am

28 minute domestic-international T5 connection... possible?

Today I'm booked to fly MAN-LHR (BA1403) then LHR-BSL (BA756). I'm currently sat in MAN waiting for my flight's outbound working, BA1396, to depart LHR - can't see any apparent reason for the delay. According to BA's live status site, BA1403 is currently estimated to arrive back into LHR at 18:57, which is just 28 minutes before BA756 is due to depart at 19:25 (the latter was earlier shown as delayed by an hour, but has now been allocated to another A321N and is back on time).

Does anyone know whether I even have a chance of making BA756? Is it likely to be a connection within the A gates? As a domestic arrival, I don't have to pass through security AFAIK, so Heathrow's T-35 'conformance' isn't an issue is it?

There is a direct U2 flight to BSL due to leave at 18:10, but I think it's too late to rebook onto that now. It's not shown on U2 website anymore, and I understand BA can't rebook me themselves due to U2 not being an IATA member. So if I miss BA756 I presume I'll just be put up at LHR and rebooked onto BA752 tomorrow morning?

A rather more stressful start to my trip than I was hoping for...

KARFA Feb 23, 2023 9:29 am

Yes there is a bp check and yes there is conformance.

i fully expect once you take off, and if still estimating an arrival which is 28 minutes or less before the scheduled departure time of the onward flight, that you will have been already offloaded and rebooked on a later flight.

Tafflyer Feb 23, 2023 9:33 am

Originally Posted by flarmip (Post 35035400)
Today I'm booked to fly MAN-LHR (BA1403) then LHR-BSL (BA756). I'm currently sat in MAN waiting for my flight's outbound working, BA1396, to depart LHR - can't see any apparent reason for the delay. According to BA's live status site, BA1403 is currently estimated to arrive back into LHR at 18:57, which is just 28 minutes before BA756 is due to depart at 19:25 (the latter was earlier shown as delayed by an hour, but has now been allocated to another A321N and is back on time).

Does anyone know whether I even have a chance of making BA756? Is it likely to be a connection within the A gates? As a domestic arrival, I don't have to pass through security AFAIK, so Heathrow's T-35 'conformance' isn't an issue is it?

There is a direct U2 flight to BSL due to leave at 18:10, but I think it's too late to rebook onto that now. It's not shown on U2 website anymore, and I understand BA can't rebook me themselves due to U2 not being an IATA member. So if I miss BA756 I presume I'll just be put up at LHR and rebooked onto BA752 tomorrow morning?

A rather more stressful start to my trip than I was hoping for...

Not a chance I'm afraid. If you land 45-50 minutes from onward departure, you might have a chance.

EDIT: Karfa beat me to it

flarmip Feb 23, 2023 9:48 am

Spoke to BAH, they have reserved(?) me a seat on BA752 tomorrow given the likelihood I'll miss it. Suppose I might at least earn a couple of extra D vice I class Avios... :(

Anyone know the reason for the delay to BA1396/1403? Agent on the phone was vague and said something like 'operational reasons', but stated it wasn't due to weather.

Never Stansted Feb 23, 2023 9:51 am

ExpertFlyer saying ‘ZO’ which I think is ‘operational’. Probably good for EC261 at least I guess.
Comments:
DOBA1396/23FEB
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA1396 0 TH 23FEB23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1650
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 1646
DELAY ZY
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1746 MAN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA1396 0 TH 23FEB23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1500 TH JCDRI/M YB/G 320 1:10
HKMLVNOQSG/G

flarmip Feb 23, 2023 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Never Stansted (Post 35035474)
ExpertFlyer saying ‘ZO’ which I think is ‘operational’. Probably good for EC261 at least I guess.
Comments:
DOBA1396/23FEB
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA1396 0 TH 23FEB23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1650
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 1646
DELAY ZY
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1746 MAN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA1396 0 TH 23FEB23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1500 TH JCDRI/M YB/G 320 1:10
HKMLVNOQSG/G

Thanks. What does 'ZO' or 'operational reasons' mean when it's at home? Shortage of crew? :confused:

KARFA Feb 23, 2023 10:09 am

Originally Posted by flarmip (Post 35035503)
Thanks. What does 'ZO' or 'operational reasons' mean when it's at home? Shortage of crew? :confused:

could be anything, it covers a multitude of normal operational sins.

Have they said something to you in terms of a reason?

flarmip Feb 23, 2023 10:18 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35035522)
could be anything, it covers a multitude of normal operational sins.

Have they said something to you in terms of a reason?

Thanks. Difficult to establish whether there's any UK261 compensation entitlement then.

No information at all here in MAN, or even a text or email from BA. Pretty poor communication to be honest. I only even know about the delay and almost certain missed connection because I've been looking at FR24 and BA's site!

Just hope I don't have too much difficulty getting my double TPs after my return...

corporate-wage-slave Feb 23, 2023 10:39 am

The key piece of information is the pre-flight briefing, and it may be worth making a contemporary note of that is said. This is the bit where the Captain or FO make an update just before or just after door close. Overwhelmingly that is your best source of information.

BertieBadger Feb 23, 2023 10:55 am

Originally Posted by flarmip (Post 35035550)
Just hope I don't have too much difficulty getting my double TPs after my return...

I can relate recent experience here.

EDI-LHR-CPH on BAH, a delayed EDI departure meant missing the connection which was the last option of the evening, auto rebooked onto the first flight the following day.

Despite this meaning only 4 nights in Copenhagen, the double TPs posted without any issue, within the expected timescale.

KARFA Feb 23, 2023 12:51 pm

We need some closure here flarmip, what happened in the end? I presume you are in a hotel near LHR? :)

flarmip Feb 23, 2023 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35035955)
We need some closure here flarmip, what happened in the end? I presume you are in a hotel near LHR? :)

Your guess is nearly right. I'm currently waiting for a Hoppa bus (sidenote, why on earth don't Hoppa have bigger buses - loads of people left waiting 20 mins after the previous one was chocka!).

We had a swift 31 minute flight time once airborne. Very impressed to see "afternoon tea" served in that short space of time!

Unfortunately the Heathrow gods were not smiling upon us, as none of the domestic gates were vacant and thus after first aiming for the north end of T5, we had a scenic taxi past my onward gate (A12) down to stand 525. Bus to domestic arrivals - again passing by A12 :mad: - only to be denied entry at the BP check. Neither Heathrow nor BA "dragons" would budge. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the "conformance" nonsense.

I would easily have made it - BA726 ended up pushing back at 19:58, 16 minutes after I got to flight connections, so I certainly shan't be taking no for an answer when it comes my UK261 compo claim. But no dice, rebooked onto tomorrow's BA752. At least I have the best seat in the house!

The BA "dragon" did also book me into the Renaissance very swiftly, and I was even provided with PJs and toiletries, on top of dinner and bus vouchers.

I will let you know how I get on with my UK261 claim.

Never Stansted Feb 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip (Post 35036019)

The BA "dragon" did also book me into the Renaissance very swiftly, and I was even provided with PJs and toiletries, on top of dinner and bus vouchers..

Quite curious - are these the same as BA F pyjamas or are they special generic ones to accompany passengers to hotels?

DYKWIA Feb 23, 2023 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip (Post 35036019)
Your guess is nearly right. I'm currently waiting for a Hoppa bus (sidenote, why on earth don't Hoppa have bigger buses - loads of people left waiting 20 mins after the previous one was chocka!).

For the sake of £1.70 (or whatever it is), a normal bus would have saved you a lot of time!

flarmip Feb 23, 2023 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Never Stansted (Post 35036074)
Quite curious - are these the same as BA F pyjamas or are they special generic ones to accompany passengers to hotels?

Afraid I've never graced BA F so can't comment. Here's a picture of everything you get.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...75e53ce6c6.jpg