Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dining in JNB for F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Dining in JNB for F

We’re on BA 54 back to LHR on Friday in F. Given the late departure I’m thinking of eating in the lounge. Any recent experiences?
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Did this flight a few weeks back. The lounge food at JNB is OK - not as good as the CCR but there is a good enough selection. The staff are happy and helpful.

It's certainly better than what they serve onboard in F....
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
There is usually a decent meal to be had landsids at the Intercontinental also.

They will sometimes say it’s only accessible to hotel guests if they’re busy. But usually a bit of good natured pleading will work, maybe with a short wait at the bar first.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The BA lounge at JNB has dedicated First Dining, which is often a quiet respite from the busy main lounge area.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: MUCCI
The CCR Dining at the JNB lounge is quite nice. It is F only so doesn't get rammed. Food is decent. I have to say CCR in Heathrow is marginally better but I have to say it is not that big. Nice experience and staff there are lovely....
FD.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards
I’ve done this recently and was happy. As others have said, very helpful & friendly staff & nice food. Then just the canapés and a glass of wine on board before bed.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The onboard catering from JNB is really pretty meh. Frankly a sandwich from Mugg & Bean will be better
simonsmith likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I agree with Swanhunter , the catering in F and C from JNB and CPT ranges from really poor to mediocre at best . Has done for years and I have no idea why it’s never been changed .
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
The CCR Dining at the JNB lounge is quite nice.
Being pedantic, it's now First Dining. The Concorde branding was dropped everywhere except the Concorde Room and Concorde Breakfast Room at T5, to distinguish F only (First Dining at BOS, EWR, IAD, JNB, ORD, PHL, SFO and First Bar at DXB and SIN) and F plus GGL (CCR, CCBR at LHR T5).
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
To repeat what several have said. Catering out of JNB is very sad. If the lounge is an option... do it.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
We did this in November, I included the menu & some pictures on the following thread

JNB First Pre-dining menu
BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
To repeat what several have said. Catering out of JNB is very sad. If the lounge is an option... do it.
It was so good ex JNB on SQ - they even had their signature chicken satay - so clearly it can be done properly, even from that airport!
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
This question has popped up before. Cannot speak highly enough of the option of a great meal in Sandton and then the Gautrain or Uber out to OR Tambo for -90 to STD. Cheese or dessert on board and then sleep.
Stewie Mac and Steve_ZA like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
The F lounge in JNB was a little meh. I stayed for around 20 minutes, grabbed a small bite to eat then went to the gate. As others have alluded to, it does get quite busy - don't let the pics fool you.

There's a little more footage in the following video:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.