Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight cancelled - rebooking flexibility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Hello

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere (I tried searching). I’ve had a domestic flight booking for next month cancelled. I’m able to rebook online but I would like to understand the extent of the rebooking flexibility.

From an initial search in MMB, it seems that on or around the original day of departure, I can pick any flight (and from all LON airports), but if, for example, I wanted to bring forward my trip to tomorrow, it would only show me a flight available if the exact same booking class is available (a much reduced offering, and not always from LCY, my preferred airport).

Does anyone know precisely what flexibility I have (e.g. how many days before/after I can choose any flight, vs relying on my specific booking class)? And how soon I should rebook? Or can I wait until the day of my original (now cancelled) flight to confirm?

Reason I ask is I quite like the idea of having flexibility to change my flight much closer to my original departure, but I wouldn’t want to wait, if I risk being left with no flight choices. Hope this makes sense.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Im no expert here like corporate-wage-slave or KARFA etc but according to BA rules and standard conditions it's 3 days before and up to 14 days after I believe. More info here.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/standard-customer-guidelines

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade
Old Feb 5, 2023, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Indeed – within the range of 3 days before or 14 days after you can rebook to same cabin; outside that range you will need the same fare class available.
Voda_boy and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
As stated above, you can move it -3/+14 days and can move to other London airports. Importantly, you don’t have to make up your mind now. You can wait up until the hour before whatever flight it’s proposing. You’ve got a fully flexible ticket in many ways. You can also cancel for a full refund.

I’m surprised you are able to move it to tomorrow though. Are you sure you can do that for no fee or fare difference?
Voda_boy and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
I’m surprised you are able to move it to tomorrow though. Are you sure you can do that for no fee or fare difference?
I haven’t clicked through to accept, but it did bring up a flight option (but only 1 flight), and from a quick regular fare search on Ba.com, that particular flight has the same booking class as I booked (and the only flight that does so). So I’m assuming there’s some additional flexibility provided same booking class code is available.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:56 am

I've searched and looked at the guidelines but can't get any clarity on this. I've got a GVA-LHR-SFO and then coming back SFO-JFK-LHR-GVA with a night in NY. I've had a cancellation of SFO-JFK. Normally it'd be an easy peasy swap to a slightly earlier or later flight. But I'm wondering if I can not only push the date of the return back a week, but turn it into an open jaw and return from RDU. So I'd be making my own way from SFO to RDU. This would avoid having to make a separate trip. I feel like this keeps the same destination (SFO) and origin (GVA) and just adding a surface sector. Is there any reason why this might not work?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I've searched and looked at the guidelines but can't get any clarity on this. I've got a GVA-LHR-SFO and then coming back SFO-JFK-LHR-GVA with a night in NY. I've had a cancellation of SFO-JFK. Normally it'd be an easy peasy swap to a slightly earlier or later flight. But I'm wondering if I can not only push the date of the return back a week, but turn it into an open jaw and return from RDU. So I'd be making my own way from SFO to RDU. This would avoid having to make a separate trip. I feel like this keeps the same destination (SFO) and origin (GVA) and just adding a surface sector. Is there any reason why this might not work?
Are there other JV flights available? You could also look at options via Madrid and JFK.

If you want to add an open jaw though you will have to rebook voluntarily and pay whatever the new fare is although some airlines may give you some flexibility.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Are there other JV flights available? You could also look at options via Madrid and JFK.

If you want to add an open jaw though you will have to rebook voluntarily and pay whatever the new fare is although some airlines may give you some flexibility.
Well there are loads of JV options. No need to go via MAD. I am already going through JFK. Most straightforward thing would be to take an earlier or later SFO-JFK flight. But I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to squeeze 2 trips into one. My reading of the rules doesn't seem to exclude an open jaw: "Same point of origin and destination via a Joint Business routing". Just wondering if anyone has had any experience here. Not that it matters, but booking today (or booking when I booked) both trips would be the same fare basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.