Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sydney aircraft change for summer 23? (Club Suites)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/VS Gold

I'm due to fly to Sydney in mid April. As of now, it is still showing 787-9 despite the winter season being upgraded to Club Suite 777. Anyone know if this is it or whether we're still waiting for finalised equipment for the summer?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Given it is February and the NH Summer timetable still shows the B789 servicing the route - I doubt BA will change. I think the limited number of B77W aircraft can be deployed elsewhere more profitably during the summer timetable and it is a route that uses a lot of aircraft given the distance.

Pilot37
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I doubt there’ll be a change now, it would’ve happened as the summer schedule was firming up in late autumn. I’d expect to fly on a 789.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:36 pm

The higher capacity 77Ws can be more profitably used elsewhere during the northern summer, and are good for Australia in our winter when theres less need for them elsewhere. I doubt very much the most aircraft-intensive schedule BA has would change with less than two months notice.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:56 pm

Ive just surprisingly found 4 Avios seats to Sydney in August and see that the flights are showing as old CW on the 789 as well.

Anyone know of any good ex EU fares to Sydney for August? I may ditch the Avios seats and CW if there are any reasonably priced options.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by JERmlb
Ive just surprisingly found 4 Avios seats to Sydney in August and see that the flights are showing as old CW on the 789 as well.

Anyone know of any good ex EU fares to Sydney for August? I may ditch the Avios seats and CW if there are any reasonably priced options.
Generally OSL used to have best SYD pricing on BA - Have a look if that still works for you
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JERmlb

Haven't seen good exEU deals recently but do remember you can use Avios on QR to fly their business class to Australia for 180k Avios return. The DOH-MEL route seems to benefit from Qsuite if youre not dead set on SYD as the gateway.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Haven't seen good exEU deals recently but do remember you can use Avios on QR to fly their business class to Australia for 180k Avios return. The DOH-MEL route seems to benefit from Qsuite if youre not dead set on SYD as the gateway.
Very much agree. Also BNE - which gets the Qsuite too - additional availability when you factor MEL, ADL, PER, SYD, BNE
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:11 am

We have managed to grab two Club seats to Sydney in January. Currently showing as 787, with the old Club World seating.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Very much agree. Also BNE - which gets the Qsuite too - additional availability when you factor MEL, ADL, PER, SYD, BNE
Yeah, we managed to book EDI-DOH-MEL one way for next January for 180k Avios and a hair under 750 - it wasnt that hard to find the seats either. BA want 145k Avios and 750 one way off peak for NCL-LHR-SIN-SYD with a companion voucher. I think its a no brainer to pay an extra 35k Avios to fly a vastly superior airline and hard product.

Tried booking BA as a second option with a CV but was beaten at the UK midnight rush - apparently we needed to book in 35 seconds instead of 36 seconds
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Might be sort of relevant but the LHR-MLE that has been the CS 777 for the last couple of years has now reverted for next winter to 787 with the old CW. So a bunch of the 777s (STBP, H, N, O and others) are going to be doing different routes. Wonder where they'll end up servicing
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by SnappyJon
Might be sort of relevant but the LHR-MLE that has been the CS 777 for the last couple of years has now reverted for next winter to 787 with the old CW. So a bunch of the 777s (STBP, H, N, O and others) are going to be doing different routes. Wonder where they'll end up servicing
Quite a reduction in Club seats from a B77W (76) to a B789 (42) - the other cabins are pretty much the same. MLE obviously was a huge destination during Covid - so I wonder are they seeing the numbers drop a little as the rest of the World is now open for business and sizing the aircraft accordingly?

Pilot37
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Quite a reduction in Club seats from a B77W (76) to a B789 (42) - the other cabins are pretty much the same. MLE obviously was a huge destination during Covid - so I wonder are they seeing the numbers drop a little as the rest of the World is now open for business and sizing the aircraft accordingly?

Pilot37
They only ever had 4 flights a week to MLE pre-covid and then it changed to daily so like you I suspected that might mean a drop in numbers. But I flew back in from MLE last weekend and both outbound and return the aircraft was full throughout. Maybe BA suspect Virgin now also going direct will dilute demand further. Cash fare is well over 12k in CW so I reckon I'd be a bit grumpy at being punted into the lesser hard product if I'd paid that (I didn't, mine was a CV booking)

Shame tho. Will price up Avios on QR
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SnappyJon
There might not be much slack in the fleet if they make a push to get the remaining 77Ws done over the winter.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:39 am

Is there any reliable way to check if Club Suite/77W's will return to SYD for W23? I've tried a dummy booking online but no aircraft type is shown before the payment page...

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.