Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forthcoming strikes affecting BA services (ATC, airport ops, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
This thread is here to help the BA FT community be prepared for strikes that may affect BA operations, that is, not only airline strikes, but also ATC (air traffic control) strikes, flights affecting BA operations (ground staff, luggage, catering, security personnel, etc) and flight related administrations (e.g. border force).

In this Wiki, we will:
- List key strike dates
- Include information on how to get informed and what you can expect if your BA trip may be affected

Please also check the first two posts for key information.

1) Forthcoming strikes:

- 31/3 to 9/4: Planned security staff strike at Heathrow - possible significant disruptions if no agreement is found before there

- 27/3 major strike in Germany - significant disruptions planned, FRA closed

- 20/3-23/3 and possible extension beyond: Broad strike in France affecting many sectors in society including Air Traffic control. This may result in some flight cancellations and significant delays, particularly on Thursday 23. ATC is requesting airlines to cancel 20-30% of flights. Note that apart from the airline operation effects, public transport to/from airports will likely be broadly affected and demonstrations may lead to road closures. Other strikes may be possible in coming weeks.

2) How can I get informed about strikes and whether they may affect my trips with BA?

- BA will often have a note on a yellow background on their website about events affecting many of its operations on their home page

- They may also update the "travel news" section of the website with information

- Strikes can have an effect at any time, but often, BA will pro-actively cancel flights if it is required to or expects it will need to. This most often happens between 24 and 48 hours before flight departure although it can happen later as well. Check manage my booking for information

- Some strikes - notably ATC - will also lead to significant delays. The most accurate information comes from the app which is normally updated in real. Check your expected departure time but also your expected arrival time! If you see no departure delay but a significant expected arrival delay this may (although not necessarily) mean that your flight is subject to ATC delay and that the airline currently expects that your flight may board on time but you may be stuck at the airport for a while before the plane can leave (improvements can occur).

3) What can I expect if I am affected?

- If your flight is cancelled, you will normally be able to either cancel your trip and get a full refund or get rebooked on any other BA service on the same or a nearby day where there is space in your class of travel regardless of bucket (note: BA will not allow to rebook you in a higher travel class for free) or move to any other date if there is space in the same bucket (the "letter" you were booked in)

- If your flight is cancelled and BA cannot reroute you on the same day on its own flights, it has to allow rebooking on other airlines (primarily but not only JV partners)

- Even if your flight is not cancelled, BA may sometimes allow all customers flying during the period of disruption to change flights anyway. This is not automatically allowed. Check information in MMB or on this thread for more information

4) Will I be taken care of? Will I get compensation?

- If the disruption is sufficiently long, BA will have to provide you with food and drink (usually in the form of a voucher unless you have lounge access) and if it is overnight with accommodation. BA will pay for this or you can book directly. Note that BA's normal limit for reimbursement is £200 per room for two people sharing on a B&B basis. If you spend more than than you will likely be refused full reimbursement. If you pay more because there is genuinely no cheaper alternative, make sure you collect evidence (e.g. screenshots of major travel websites etc). Check the main EC261 travel compensation thread for information.

- If the strike is outside of BA's control (eg. ATC), you will not be eligible for compensation. If it is due to the airline's own operations (e.g. BA personnel, their contracted ground staff, etc) you may be eligible for compensation. Check the main EC261 travel compensation thread for information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...261-uk261.html

Print Wikipost

Forthcoming strikes affecting BA services (ATC, airport ops, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I did call today to ask is my Aug 4th flight could be moved to the 3rd August for free. The 4th is the first day of the second strike at the moment.

My request was denied as there is no policy in place just yet.
Any guidelines normally take a day or two at least. I have a gut feeling that in this case BA will want to wait and see for a little bit though, so maybe longer. There may not be any at all- as we’ve seen for some of the Heathrow strikes with any cancellations dealt with under the normal guidelines.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I did call today to ask is my Aug 4th flight could be moved to the 3rd August for free. The 4th is the first day of the second strike at the moment.

My request was denied as there is no policy in place just yet.
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Any guidelines normally take a day or two at least. I have a gut feeling that in this case BA will want to wait and see for a little bit though, so maybe longer. There may not be any at all- as we’ve seen for some of the Heathrow strikes with any cancellations dealt with under the normal guidelines.
Your thoughts echo mine , I decided to book a couple of (economy) award seats on the 3rd in the end. I will see what happens, cancelling the 3rd or the 4th nearer the time depending on what I see.

Effectively cost me £35.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I see today that Unite has said that one of the four Ground Handlers at Gatwick have softened their stance on the eight days of strikes in the next few weeks.

DHL who look after Easyjet at LGW have suspended their intention to strike pending an improved offer. The other three handlers are still set to strike unless they also get a better deal.

More details here..

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...irms-still-on/
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Tube strikes for next week have been called off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66268545
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:04 am

Gatwick GGS strikes off for 28 July - 1 August. The Guardian reports Unite saying talks “progressing in a positive direction”. 4 - 8 August still on for now.
CTV and KARFA like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 8:44 am

Not strictly strike related but nonetheless interesting: https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...-pay-increase/
Unite, the UK’s leading union, has secured a significant pay increase for around 24,000 staff employed by British Airways.

The workforce (excluding pilots and management) will receive a pay increase worth 13.1 per cent over an 18-month period, as well as a £1,000 one off payment. Unite has also built into the deal the potential for pay to increase further during this period if inflation remains high.

In addition to the pay increase, Unite has secured agreement that no member of staff will have the pay increase applied at a lower rate of pay then they were receiving in 2020.

This agreement reverses BA’s highly controversial decision at the height of the Covid pandemic to fire and rehire its entire workforce, with many workers suffering substantial pay cuts. Put simply, this both restores and increases pay.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Train strike tomorrow and both tube and train strikes on Wednesday 4/10 including Piccadilly Line, Heathrow Express (will start late and reduced to 1 train every 30 minutes) and Gatwick Express. Then tube strike on 6/10.

I think the Elizabeth line is supposed to work but there is a warning some stations may be close. Suggestions on how best to deal with this to those affected welcome...

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 29, 2023 at 9:46 am
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Tube strike tomorrow and both tube and train strikes on Wednesday 4/10 including Piccadilly Line, Heathrow Express (will start late and reduced to 1 train every 30 minutes) and Gatwick Express.

I think the Elizabeth line is supposed to work but there is a warning some stations may be close. Suggestions on how best to deal with this to those affected welcome...
Only train strike tomorrow, the tube strikes are Wed 4th October (together with rail strike) and Fri 6th (tube strike only): Strikes - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)
Elizabeth line isn't in scope but will be busier, and as you say they may shut some of the central London stations if they get too busy.

So the Elizabeth line is the best solution for all 3 days, even if there's every chance it will be really busy. The Piccadilly line will be unaffected tomorrow, and HEX will run normally next Friday.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by alex67500
Only train strike tomorrow, the tube strikes are Wed 4th October (together with rail strike) and Fri 6th (tube strike only)
oops door I mistyped, duly corrected!
Old Sep 29, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm keen to work out how the Elizabeth Line will be impacted by the tube strike on Weds. I was planning on getting it from Bond Street to T5, but given that it's tube station staff who are on strike, does anyone have any thoughts / previous experience on whether the station is likely to be open?
Old Sep 29, 2023, 12:30 pm

Officially it’s not affected and will operate as normal. There’s a caveat in that it might skip a few central stations if they can’t be operated safely (e.g. TCR is operated by LU and requires a minimum number of staff on duty to be open). It’s unlikely though, and Crossrail-only stations (e.g. Paddington, Farringdon) are very unlikely to be closed. Note that Bond St is separate from the LU station and can be operated on its own if the underground connectors are sealed off, unlike TCR which is fully integrated at the main exit.
alex67500 and cosmo74 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not a strike, but it is significant disruption for those trying to get to LHR the weekend of 25/26 November by tube, HEX, or crossrail.

https://x.com/HeathrowAirport/status...944148134?s=20

Due to planned engineering works, there will be disruption to rail services on Sat 25 & Sun 26 Nov 2023:

- No HeathrowExpress or TfL Elizabeth line services to/from HeathrowStations.
- No Piccadilly line service to/from Terminal 5.

https://www.heathrow.com/passenger-updates
orbitmic, SxMan and DXB2745 like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 14, 2023 at 8:14 am
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Not a strike, but it is significant disruption for those trying to get to LHR the weekend of 25/26 November by tube, HEX, or crossrail.

https://x.com/HeathrowAirport/status...944148134?s=20
Have they let the intern do the engineering planning again? Why oh why would they close both the rail transport routes to Terminal 5 on the same weekend? I wonder if the bus replacement service will have to pay the £5 charge every time it drops off?
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I wonder if the bus replacement service will have to pay the £5 charge every time it drops off?
Appreciate you were going for facetiousness primarily, but for anyone wondering… no, buses do not have to pay the drop-off fee.

I do hope someone has bashed heads together in the Network Rail and TfL engineering work planning departments though.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.