Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forthcoming strikes affecting BA services (ATC, airport ops, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
This thread is here to help the BA FT community be prepared for strikes that may affect BA operations, that is, not only airline strikes, but also ATC (air traffic control) strikes, flights affecting BA operations (ground staff, luggage, catering, security personnel, etc) and flight related administrations (e.g. border force).

In this Wiki, we will:
- List key strike dates
- Include information on how to get informed and what you can expect if your BA trip may be affected

Please also check the first two posts for key information.

1) Forthcoming strikes:

- 31/3 to 9/4: Planned security staff strike at Heathrow - possible significant disruptions if no agreement is found before there

- 27/3 major strike in Germany - significant disruptions planned, FRA closed

- 20/3-23/3 and possible extension beyond: Broad strike in France affecting many sectors in society including Air Traffic control. This may result in some flight cancellations and significant delays, particularly on Thursday 23. ATC is requesting airlines to cancel 20-30% of flights. Note that apart from the airline operation effects, public transport to/from airports will likely be broadly affected and demonstrations may lead to road closures. Other strikes may be possible in coming weeks.

2) How can I get informed about strikes and whether they may affect my trips with BA?

- BA will often have a note on a yellow background on their website about events affecting many of its operations on their home page

- They may also update the "travel news" section of the website with information

- Strikes can have an effect at any time, but often, BA will pro-actively cancel flights if it is required to or expects it will need to. This most often happens between 24 and 48 hours before flight departure although it can happen later as well. Check manage my booking for information

- Some strikes - notably ATC - will also lead to significant delays. The most accurate information comes from the app which is normally updated in real. Check your expected departure time but also your expected arrival time! If you see no departure delay but a significant expected arrival delay this may (although not necessarily) mean that your flight is subject to ATC delay and that the airline currently expects that your flight may board on time but you may be stuck at the airport for a while before the plane can leave (improvements can occur).

3) What can I expect if I am affected?

- If your flight is cancelled, you will normally be able to either cancel your trip and get a full refund or get rebooked on any other BA service on the same or a nearby day where there is space in your class of travel regardless of bucket (note: BA will not allow to rebook you in a higher travel class for free) or move to any other date if there is space in the same bucket (the "letter" you were booked in)

- If your flight is cancelled and BA cannot reroute you on the same day on its own flights, it has to allow rebooking on other airlines (primarily but not only JV partners)

- Even if your flight is not cancelled, BA may sometimes allow all customers flying during the period of disruption to change flights anyway. This is not automatically allowed. Check information in MMB or on this thread for more information

4) Will I be taken care of? Will I get compensation?

- If the disruption is sufficiently long, BA will have to provide you with food and drink (usually in the form of a voucher unless you have lounge access) and if it is overnight with accommodation. BA will pay for this or you can book directly. Note that BA's normal limit for reimbursement is Ł200 per room for two people sharing on a B&B basis. If you spend more than than you will likely be refused full reimbursement. If you pay more because there is genuinely no cheaper alternative, make sure you collect evidence (e.g. screenshots of major travel websites etc). Check the main EC261 travel compensation thread for information.

- If the strike is outside of BA's control (eg. ATC), you will not be eligible for compensation. If it is due to the airline's own operations (e.g. BA personnel, their contracted ground staff, etc) you may be eligible for compensation. Check the main EC261 travel compensation thread for information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...261-uk261.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Hi Everyone,

The world being what it is, many countries in which BA operates are affected by strikes and at the moment, each time, we have a new ad hoc thread popping up. I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a single thread where we list all known forthcoming strikes that may directly affect BA operations (so not trains, etc but ATC, airline operations, immigration personnel, etc) with a nice little wiki and some collective knowledge of how to check if you might be affected and what you can expect if it is the case.

I'll start with two obvious ones but also questions related to them:

- Tuesday 31/1: "Broad spectrum" (not quite general) strike in France. ATC will be affected. The last similar strike on 19/1 led to about 1/4 of flights to/from France being cancelled and delays to many BA services to nearby countries (if they would have normally flown over French airspace). Does anyone know anything about the impact of the one next week or when BA might announce something? (In my experience, they tend to publish lists of cancellations approximately 24-48hours before?)

Wednesday 1/2: "Broad spectrum" (not quite general) strike in the UK affecting much of the civil service notably border force. Affect issues with arrivals in all UK airports. Anyone has any more info?
Joeykins, alex67500 and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Reserved for key info
Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Just realised I'm arriving into LHR on 1st Feb. Fun!

M
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
There are a couple of train strikes next week, which will affect those travelling to and from UK airports

National level Train Strikes

Strike action has been announced for the following dates:
  • Wednesday 1 February 2023 - action by both the ASLEF and RMT unions.
  • Friday 3 February 2023 - action by both the ASLEF and RMT unions.
This is likely to affect 19 train companies across Britain:

Avanti West Coast; c2c; Chiltern Railways; CrossCountry; East Midlands Railway; Gatwick Express; Great Western Railway; Greater Anglia; Great Northern; Heathrow Express; London North Eastern Railway; London Northwestern Railway; Northern; Southeastern; Southern; South Western Railway (including Island Line); Thameslink, TransPennine Express; West Midlands Railway.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:16 pm

For those not familiar with UK rail unions and the impact of strikes on LHR services, it’s worth adding that ASLEF represent drivers. BUT Crossrail drivers are already on new contracts and are not in dispute, so these trains can run as normal on ASLEF strike days. However, if the RMT are on strike, this will likely include signallers, which means no trains will run on Network Rail controlled lines past 7pm (contingency cover only runs for a core 7-7 period) - this essentially means west of Paddington (the underground section east to Canary Wharf is controlled by TfL instead). So it’s worth paying attention to which particular unions are involved on any given strike day as more trains might be running than first appears.

Clear as mud, but there’s some sense in there somewhere!!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Good idea, but can we use explicit data formats please, 1/10 is not as universal as 1st October or even 10th January.

On the train strikes, services are also often slow to start up the day following a strike, often not starting until noon.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Confus
For those not familiar with UK rail unions and the impact of strikes on LHR services, it’s worth adding that ASLEF represent drivers. BUT Crossrail drivers are already on new contracts and are not in dispute, so these trains can run as normal on ASLEF strike days. However, if the RMT are on strike, this will likely include signallers, which means no trains will run on Network Rail controlled lines past 7pm (contingency cover only runs for a core 7-7 period) - this essentially means west of Paddington (the underground section east to Canary Wharf is controlled by TfL instead). So it’s worth paying attention to which particular unions are involved on any given strike day as more trains might be running than first appears.

Clear as mud, but there’s some sense in there somewhere!!
However in this case, it is only ASLEF and RMT represented drivers on strike. Network Rail grades are not affected on this occasion.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
The revised timetables for 1st to 4th February, taking into account the impact of the strike action were released this morning (25th Jan).

Apparently trains will start later on 2nd and 4th Feb with very little, if nothing, before 7am.

I’ve got to get to Gatwick by rail from London city centre on Thursday 2nd Feb (afternoon/evening) so the initial news was worrying due to possible knock effects from the strike the day before and services possible ending early due to the strike the day after.

This morning I checked evening departures from London Victoria to LGW for 2nd Feb and there appear to be the usual number of trains late afternoon and into the evening. The last trains are at midnight and there’s nothing again until the Saturday morning.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue

I’ve got to get to Gatwick by rail from London city centre on Thursday 2nd Feb (afternoon/evening) so the initial news was worrying due to possible knock effects from the strike the day before and services possible ending early due.....
10 of us are flying from LGW to AGP early next Friday 3rd
All coming in from various places in the south....
Brighton, Worthing, Bognor to meet up at airport

I'm just a 30min local bus away so am cool and a few now driving rather than early train...
It is causing a little chaos with those in Brighton etc
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
10 of us are flying from LGW to AGP early next Friday 3rd
All coming in from various places in the south....
Brighton, Worthing, Bognor to meet up at airport

I'm just a 30min local bus away so am cool and a few now driving rather than early train...
It is causing a little chaos with those in Brighton etc
Might be worth staying at an airport hotel
the night before for those who no trains will make it difficult on the Friday morning. Premier Inn at the North Terminal is currently Ł82 for a double room.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just had my London to Milan cancelled last minute on Friday due to apparent strike action in Italy?

Every other carrier flying it would seem no problem as of now. Had to book Wizz air on Friday instead for the 4 of us, shelling out Ł100 each.

No alternatives on BA offered until Saturday. Friday’s flights (we need to get there by 6pm) all sold out. Strange that BA the only carrier that looks like they have cancelled.

Have I got any hope of any Compo?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Just had my London to Milan cancelled last minute on Friday due to apparent strike action in Italy?

Every other carrier flying it would seem no problem as of now. Had to book Wizz air on Friday instead for the 4 of us, shelling out Ł100 each.

No alternatives on BA offered until Saturday. Friday’s flights (we need to get there by 6pm) all sold out. Strange that BA the only carrier that looks like they have cancelled.

Have I got any hope of any Compo?
Hopefully someone will get back who knows more detail about what strike is causing that. As per the wiki, compensation will depend on what strike it is - e.g. if it is BA's own services (e.g. their ground staff) you would, but if it is something external (e.g. ATC) you wouldn't.

On the other hand, if you asked BA for a same day replacement, they couldn't offer it, and you booked yourself on a non-BA same day alternative, you should be able to get them to foot the bill. Make sure you do not accept their replacement flight.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Couple of updates:

- some strikes in Spain as well this week.

- in France aviation authorities have said they’ll update the public on the impact of the strike on air traffic by Sunday. So far, one union said they would join the strike and another is widely expected not to. Note that there may be additional disruptions in paris airports as some airport personnel will likely strike too
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Couple of updates:

- some strikes in Spain as well this week.
30th January ATC strikes at 16 Spanish airports:
  • A Coruna Airport (LCG)
  • Alicante-Elche Airport (ALC)
  • Castellon Airport (CDT)
  • Cuatro Vientos
  • El Hierro (VDE)
  • Fuerteventura Airport (FUE)
  • Ibiza Airport (IBZ)
  • Jerez Airport (XRY)
  • Lanzarote Airport (ACE)
  • La Palma Airport (SPC)
  • Lleida Airport (ILD)
  • Murcia Airport (RMU)
  • Sabadell Airport (QSA)
  • Seville Airport (SVQ)
  • Valencia Airport (VLC)
  • Vigo Airport (VGO)
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
30th January ATC strikes at 16 Spanish airports:
  • A Coruna Airport (LCG)
  • Alicante-Elche Airport (ALC)
  • Castellon Airport (CDT)
  • Cuatro Vientos
  • El Hierro (VDE)
  • Fuerteventura Airport (FUE)
  • Ibiza Airport (IBZ)
  • Jerez Airport (XRY)
  • Lanzarote Airport (ACE)
  • La Palma Airport (SPC)
  • Lleida Airport (ILD)
  • Murcia Airport (RMU)
  • Sabadell Airport (QSA)
  • Seville Airport (SVQ)
  • Valencia Airport (VLC)
  • Vigo Airport (VGO)
thanks! I’ve added it to the wiki

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.