Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transfer from HK Express to BA at HKG - person and baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador

I have a connection from an HK Express flight from DAD arriving 21:00 at HKG and the BA28 departing 23:45
(the last 30 arrivals of that flight have all been 10mins or so early - so I'm feeling lucky ...)

I am now thinking of checking in a bag on the HK Express flight (or I might even be forced to gate check if they enforce cabin bag weight limit)..
.. does anybody have experience of having to get bags from a U0 flight, and then checking in again for the BA flight? (Emerald status, F on BA)
I'm assuming I'll have loads of time, but wondered if any anomalies. (I suspect I will have to go landside..)
Also, do you thenk there is any chance of a bag checked in at DAD being routed DAD-HKG-LHR so no need to see/touch it..

THX
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Any experience with interlining to BAA at HKG anybody? Please?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Hong Kong Express (UO) does not have an interline agreement with BA.
Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Interline Agreements:
Flying UO

E-Ticket Interline Agreements
    CX        

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       B2  CX  KA  ZE  9W                                      

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       B2  CX  KA  ZE  9W
See also:
BA HKG Transfer Desk - Question
KA -> BA connecting in HKG?
Cymro likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Hong Kong Express (UO) does not have an interline agreement with BA.

See also:
BA HKG Transfer Desk - Question
KA -> BA connecting in HKG?
I understand the agreement with CX and KA, but to defunct 9W and B2, that's kinda odd 😂
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:22 pm

Truly a connection for the brave with checked bags. I’m afraid you’ll have to immigrate, collect bags, check them with BA, go airside again. I think at 2:45h you are pushing it. I would either change to an earlier flight, or not check bags. Especially flights at the end of the day can be prone to delays.

I have never flown HK express, but I previously had success in Vietnam paying the gate checkin-fine and then arguing that now that I paid, I’m going to take it on board anyway…
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I believe CX (Cathay Oneworld member) now own HK Express. So there maybe a chance you can check the bag through. It might be an idea to contact HK express well in advance to see, as Cathay interlines bags to BA as far as I know. I've not travelled on CX yet.
John.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by thejohn
I believe CX (Cathay Oneworld member) now own HK Express. So there maybe a chance you can check the bag through. It might be an idea to contact HK express well in advance to see, as Cathay interlines bags to BA as far as I know. I've not travelled on CX yet.
John.
After completing the acquisition of Hong Kong Express, CX stated that UO would continue to be operated as a separate airline. As UO hasn’t reached any new interline agreements with other airlines their ability to send baggage on to other airlines is limited. The only possibility would be if the UO flight was booked on a CX codeshare; while CX does seem to codeshare on some UO routes, I don’t know if the OP booked (or is willing to pay the presumably higher price for) the codeshare.

And from Hong Kong Express FAQs:
Is there any baggage transfer service available if I have a connecting flight with another airline?HK Express does not have baggage transfer services and we are not affiliated with any airline agreement. You need to retrieve your baggage from HK Express, and check-in your baggage for your next flight manually.

For connecting flight within HK Express, baggage will be loaded to the connecting flight automatically.
https://www.hkexpress.com/en-us/need...e/baggage-faq/
Also see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34904122-post671.html
thejohn likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 24, 2023 at 3:30 pm Reason: more info
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

I am about to try it ..... TODAY

HK Express DAD to HKG arriving 21:00 (last 2 weeks - except yesterday arrived early).
Party of 4 with carryon OK for BA28 at 23:40. But too big for HK express 7kg limit, even after stuffing coat pockets etc.
Have paid for the checking contingency with HK express, and your U-First to get priority boarding & baggage ...
FIngers crossed that they allow us to hand carry - otherwise at least 1 of us (if we check in wuth ba0 needs to immigrate and collect ...

Fingers Crossed.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by flyerkit
I am about to try it ..... TODAY

HK Express DAD to HKG arriving 21:00 (last 2 weeks - except yesterday arrived early).
Party of 4 with carryon OK for BA28 at 23:40. But too big for HK express 7kg limit, even after stuffing coat pockets etc.
Have paid for the checking contingency with HK express, and your U-First to get priority boarding & baggage ...
FIngers crossed that they allow us to hand carry - otherwise at least 1 of us (if we check in wuth ba0 needs to immigrate and collect ...

Fingers Crossed.
Go to checkin without your hand luggage (leave it in coffee shop at airport for 5 min) - the less they see the better ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.