Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Geeky Fare Rules Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Geeky Fare Rules Question

Please, no-one spend any significant time on this question because it is purely to satisfy idle curiosity.

I have just booked a trip OSL-LHR-BOS in C and F, principally as a tier point run but also as for fun. The fare basis code is ANN8C2S2. The timing, several months away, is

Tuesday dep 1655 OSL-LHR-BOS arr 2010
Friday depart 2140 BOS-LHR-OSL arrive Sat 1400 (dep LHR Sat 1045)

The fare rules under "minimum stay" state:-

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE
NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE
TURNAROUND.
AND - TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER
THAN 24 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE TURNAROUND.
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE
NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE

TURNAROUND.
THAN 24 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE TURNAROUND

I assume that the "turnaround" is the end point of the outward journey, in this case Boston. Am I right?

I wondered at the requirement that travel from the inbound transatlantic sector must be not earlier than three days after arrival. But I infer that that refers to onward travel from LHR, the end point of the transatlantic sector.

I have bolded the point in the rules where I can't make this journey comply, although as it has been ticketed I must be wrong! The travel from LHR at the end of the inbound transatlantic starts on the Saturday after the Tuesday when we arrive at the turnaround, clearly "earlier than the first Sunday after arrival". So what am I reading wrong?

As I say this is a purely geeky question and I don't want anyone to waste any significant time on it. But I am interested...

Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:38 am

3 days on turnaround at Boston or Saturday night. BOS arrival Saturday, the earliest your could return under current fare conditions would be Sunday. Alternatively Arrival Monday the earliest you could return would be Thursday. Transits at LHR longer that 24hrs would invoke a stopover and additional fare difference in addition to the change fee.

Arrival after the first Transatlantic flight is important bit.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think maybe there’s a missing “OR” before the bold part - what would make sense is the fare requires a 3-day stay OR a Saturday-night stay. And in both cases, at least a 24h stay.

I think in this case “travel from inbound TATL” means the same thing as “travel from turnaround” but could be different if you were connecting beyond Boston in the US.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IATA resolution 12 defines "Point of Turnaround" as "The farthest geographical fare break (between two fare components) from the Pricing Unit origin."

The fare break here is indeed at BOS, between the two components of the round trip pricing unit, OSLBOS and BOSOSL (but one can imagine other weird constructions where there is no break point at BOS).

I think the OR here is implied since there is no AND between the two provisions and the second provision is not indented.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Calchas
IATA resolution 12 defines "Point of Turnaround" as "The farthest geographical fare break (between two fare components) from the Pricing Unit origin."

[..]

I think the OR here is implied since there is no AND between the two provisions and the second provision is not indented.
I agree. And come to think of it, OR is also implied because of the repetition of :
THAN 24 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE TURNAROUND
..which would be unnecessary if it were a series of conditions ALL of which had to be fulfilled.

Thanks for people's comments. Maybe we need people with software or legal backgrounds, or both, to draft these things
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by hsmall
Maybe we need people with software or legal backgrounds, or both, to draft these things
Or someone with access to GDS and fare rules who's used to deciphering them on a regular basis. 35 sub-sections of rules for each filed fare an airline makes available isn't particularly uncommon or indeed straight forward.... and that's before you even start combining one fare outbound and another fare inbound and understanding which fare rule applies to the overall ticket.

FYI... on my GDS, BA (as well as other airlines) still post many many pages of irrelevant BWC rule waivers even though they don't apply to new bookings.... just to make life ever so much more complicated than it needs to be.
​​
​​​

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jan 22, 2023 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.