Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

22 & 23 Jan : disruption : fog delays at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

22 & 23 Jan : disruption : fog delays at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC
I was 5 minutes from leaving home when the cancellation text for BA756 came through. Am rebooked on tomorrow’s BA750 at the moment and we’ll see if the meteorological gods smile on me ( and everyone else on this thread it seems!).
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin
I was 5 minutes from leaving home when the cancellation text for BA756 came through. Am rebooked on tomorrow’s BA750 at the moment and we’ll see if the meteorological gods smile on me ( and everyone else on this thread it seems!).
I do hope the destination of BA750 is the same as that of BA756. (Apologies, but I still haven't managed to memorise the BA schedule.)
gcuk likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Queues in First Wing are quite small - rest of T5 is a mess. Seems you can get the Hotel Moxy on Bath Road. I said I would sort myself out rather than faff around on all that.

The KLM flight at 2035 was full so non starter.

Good luck everyone travelling this evening - I was looking forward to the Chinese New Year menu in the CCR too!
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Misco60
I do hope the destination of BA750 is the same as that of BA756. (Apologies, but I still haven't managed to memorise the BA schedule.)
Nah, since BA wouldn’t take me back to Basel this evening I thought I’d work from somewhere else for the week and just not tell the wife
wrp96 and squawk like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by our_kid
Queues in First Wing are quite small - rest of T5 is a mess. Seems you can get the Hotel Moxy on Bath Road. I said I would sort myself out rather than faff around on all that.

The KLM flight at 2035 was full so non starter.

Good luck everyone travelling this evening - I was looking forward to the Chinese New Year menu in the CCR too!

There's a KLM from LCY at 2005 with tickets for sale
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just skimming through this thread. I was in today but not in the tower, just working in the office and hosting some visitors.

The arrival rate in Low Visibility goes from 42 per hour to about 30-32 per hour.

The other (bigger) issue today was the mass de-icing required, which is currently a major bottleneck for T5 operations. Opening both remote de-icing locations for T5 impacts significantly upon T5 taxiways (and part of the runway holding area used by the runway controller to marshal and sequence departures) and what we call taxiway Delta (the bit east of T5C). This slows down operations considerably on stands 561-568 and 572-583.

At some points more nearly two thirds of all BA departures (including from T3) were being allocated to those two remote de-icing pads.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Absolute disaster of a travel day. Not a great day to attempt an ex-EU. Somehow despite flying with BA a whole lot I’ve never had to deal with a mass misconnect event. Stuck in a long queue for “priority” flight connections. Can one just go up to the first wing instead? Is that likely going to be faster?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Just skimming through this thread. I was in today but not in the tower, just working in the office and hosting some visitors.

The arrival rate in Low Visibility goes from 42 per hour to about 30-32 per hour.

The other (bigger) issue today was the mass de-icing required, which is currently a major bottleneck for T5 operations. Opening both remote de-icing locations for T5 impacts significantly upon T5 taxiways (and part of the runway holding area used by the runway controller to marshal and sequence departures) and what we call taxiway Delta (the bit east of T5C). This slows down operations considerably on stands 561-568 and 572-583.

At some points more nearly two thirds of all BA departures (including from T3) were being allocated to those two remote de-icing pads.
​​​​​​
THanks for the insight!
Do you have any info on whether tomorrow will be any better?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Add him to your ignore list. Anyone doing politics on here goes stright on mine!
My apologies. I’m just remembering the days before queuing to get my passport stamped and being asked what was my purpose in visiting Germany/France/Belgium etc.

I fondly remember whizzing through the egates at PRG too.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:17 pm

Tomorrow all depends on what actually happens with regards to the visibility, but the forecast is for more of the same until 11am and arrivals regulations are in force for tomorrow

Aerodromes:
EGLL & EGLC: Due to the continued low visibility, arrival regulations are applied at reduced rates throughout the morning with high
delays likely to continue into the afternoon period.
Further airfields throughout the UK South, are subject to tactical measures, pending the weather outlook. EBBR: Low visibility regulation applied during the early morning, moderate delays expected.
Risk of tactical measures for ENGM & ESSA, due to forecast low visibility.
And if it stays below zero again with freezing fog, it won’t just be JEDI delays (de-icing for BA deps as described by HeathrowTower), it will also mean some engineering de-icing if the conditions are right for fan blade icing on arrivals that are heading back out.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jan 22, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA silver
Waiting for the pushback truck and then de-iceing.

It would have been smarter to get the evening EasyJet or Ryanair direct flights MAN BER. Much cheaper too. But I fancied a late afternoon arrival in the Hauptstadt. 🤔

The train might even have been quicker from Chester. Eurostar and a cross platform change at Brussels Midi. The maninexitrow defers to the man in seat61

www.seat61.com
Geordie405, squawk and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
And Now - bear in mind there are less flights so more gate - drum roll. A bus gate. Now 19:30. No sign of movement for a 20:00 flight. On time ! Emmm. Doubt it. Plane has been here since 2pm. The shambles continues
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
And Now - bear in mind there are less flights so more gate - drum roll. A bus gate. Now 19:30. No sign of movement for a 20:00 flight. On time ! Emmm. Doubt it. Plane has been here since 2pm. The shambles continues
If my flight has a bus gate on arrival, I may possibly be a gibbering wreck...
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Latest weather shows fog is likely tomorrow morning for the Heathrow area.

becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
And with apologies for the grumpy post ( I am grumpy !). Now spare club seats. Can I sit in one please. I have paid for it. No.

so much for basic service recovery.

it is only 1:25 but as a group we booked 8 in club.

one mate is in club. I got same flight down the back. The rest got London city today / tomorrow and paid for the German wings flight and will sort out the cost later.

so the boys trip now is split up and we miss dinner with another 6 people as we arrive gone 11.

I know you will all send me your sympathies ( not !). End of grumble
VSLover, Sigwx and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.