Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reasons for discontinuing CW Sleeper Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I searched on FT, but couldn't find why the Club World Sleeper service was discontinued a few years ago. Some threads refer to the new catering that was introduced, Club World sleeper service question but that doesn't give a clear rationale.

Maximizing sleep on JFK-LHR flights with two hours of cabin lights and clinking cutlery at the beginning is difficult. Curious to hear feedback.

As a side note, I flew IB MAD-JFK in J yesterday, and their mattress pad is a lot better. It is thicker and hooks over the top of the seat to ensure it doesn't slide around.
rt23456p and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
I searched on FT, but couldn't find why the Club World Sleeper service was discontinued a few years ago. Some threads refer to the new catering that was introduced, Club World sleeper service question but that doesn't give a clear rationale.
Under the CW Sleeper system, there would only be a light snack on departure - say a medium sized portion of Welsh Rarebit - and a drink, one tray. But a better food offering in the lounge so that Club passengers could have something approaching a proper meal there instead. Now firstly this depended on the lounge network, and that's not as strong as it used to be (and there were weak links even back then, notably the old Kuwait, Muscat and Montréal lounges). And for those on tight connections who may not have anything on the USA domestic service and no time to eat in the lounge, would have to make do with what looked like cheese on toast or a biscuit to cover an afternoon and evening of flying (and pay several thousand pounds for it too). Then as you indicate there was a significant uplift in the CW catering with Do&Co, and I guess at that point the gap was too wide to be sustainable. I take your point about the downsides, but it is better overall to more passengers to give the choice, with ear plugs and eye masks available.

A version of CW sleeper service sort-of continues from the Middle East post midnight departures, though they do get a better breakfast service as you get near London. The first meal service still causes anguished posts here, including one a few months ago.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed response. Your point about connecting traffic is one I hadn't considered before.

I whimsically thought that the CW mini-cabins could be ripe for Sleeper Service, but then seat assignments become messy.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
JFK-LHR my personal preference is to go straight to sleep and not eat anything onboard, and like your idea of a sleeping section where people like us can be seated together!

It does seem we are in the minority as most people on these flights want to stay up all night eating and drinking as much as they can. I have often read complaints on here from people that the crew turned the cabin lights off several hours into the flight and stopped coming around to top up drinks!
becks1 and Cymro like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
JFK-LHR my personal preference is to go straight to sleep and not eat anything onboard, and like your idea of a sleeping section where people like us can be seated together!

It does seem we are in the minority as most people on these flights want to stay up all night eating and drinking as much as they can. I have often read complaints on here from people that the crew turned the cabin lights off several hours into the flight and stopped coming around to top up drinks!
I would prefer to sleep too but I also understand that CW is a real treat or once in a lifetime to a lot of people and they want to have the full experience. Heck I’m like that if I’m flying on a new airline in J or the first time I tried Club Suites.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: MUCCI
I have to say that for East Coast USA Red Eye Runs I have no other objective than sleep. I will literally be putting the bed down as soon as the wheels are off the ground and waiting until the seatbelt sign goes off to set the bed up (either in J or F) and sleep. I always as well make sure I let the cabin crew know it's a strict Do Not Disturb so please no waking or asking for breakfast - don't want it.
That said I have flown many times for many years and so I expect to land after a Red Eye and work all day so I need the sleep. As others have said if it is a once in a lifetime treat then of course you would be up as much as possible!
FD.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I used to be the same, indeed I had a nifty arrangement with feet on the lever and duvet so that I could go flat as soon as the smokers' bing goes off. The trouble with this forum is that I now feel obliged to do the whole CW experience in order to be able to report on it here, or answer future queries. So it's all FT's fault.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
Slightly off topic, but I thought the Breakfast preordering system pre-Covid worked well, with a menu to fill out being handed to passengers before take off. I assume this has not returned yet. Do we know why? Or whether it may one day make a return? Always seemed a sensible solution and allowed those who wanted to eat the option, and those that wanted more sleep to lie in.
Cymro, RJD1983, S_W_S and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The trouble with this forum is that I now feel obliged to do the whole CW experience in order to be able to report on it here, or answer future queries. So it's all FT's fault.
We’ll only worry when that extends to sampling the champagne
woodiee likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by LondonAussie

I have only done JFK>LHR in first once and that was many years ago. This was before flat beds in business, and I slept the whole way home. I still have no idea what first food and drink is like!

If you want the all singing all dancing service with food and drink, would you not book a daytime flight?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It's probably a matter of travel frequency. Many people for whom this is a rare event are trying to "enjoy" and "maximize" the experience. If you commute weekly, sleep is more important. Looks like there are more people out to enjoy than commuting, so I guess BA had to adjust to what the majority of passengers prefer.
James91 and JTXC like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by BrunswickSq
If you want the all singing all dancing service with food and drink, would you not book a daytime flight?
​​​​​​
Probably go for one of Virgin's Pride flights if you want that kind of onboard experience 🥂
dcmike likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
I have only done JFK>LHR in first once and that was many years ago. This was before flat beds in business, and I slept the whole way home. I still have no idea what first food and drink is like!

In principle yes, in practice, eastbound transatlantic flights are tougher to track down and I've found them to be more expensive.

I do have slight sympathy for those who make airline wide decisions on service flows because there will never be a 100% satisfaction rate, people travel for different reasons etc. However I do understand that an eye mask and a pair of earplugs in an amenity kit whilst providing full service is probably the *best* compromise.

CB
James91, RJD1983 and Coffeemadman like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold

My travel these days is for leisure, so not if I want to enjoy a last day of my holiday at my destination before heading home, or if I have to drive/get a connecting flight from somewhere else first. I admit I'm one of the ones who'd rather stay awake and enjoy the service - I make sure I have nothing particular to do the following day so can get by on little sleep or have a nap, and the quality of sleep on a flight at (inevitably) the wrong temperature is not good so I might as well catch up on some silly films with some champagne as a nice end to the trip. Obviously I don't want to disturb others and I appreciate some do want/need to get some rest, so I don't make unnecessary noise but I do want the food and drink service.

I have only ever flown long haul for business twice. In that job my boss would insist that, after our return trip (a connecting flight within the US then the transatlantic leg) we would land at LHR at dawn and go straight to our London office for a full day of work here as if we had not just got off a plane, and no we could not finish early. Never again.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Did BA ever try a light, fast meal or dinner so lights out quickly, then a full(er) breakfast offering?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.