FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reasons for discontinuing CW Sleeper Service
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:01 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
I searched on FT, but couldn't find why the Club World Sleeper service was discontinued a few years ago. Some threads refer to the new catering that was introduced, Club World sleeper service question but that doesn't give a clear rationale.
Under the CW Sleeper system, there would only be a light snack on departure - say a medium sized portion of Welsh Rarebit - and a drink, one tray. But a better food offering in the lounge so that Club passengers could have something approaching a proper meal there instead. Now firstly this depended on the lounge network, and that's not as strong as it used to be (and there were weak links even back then, notably the old Kuwait, Muscat and Montréal lounges). And for those on tight connections who may not have anything on the USA domestic service and no time to eat in the lounge, would have to make do with what looked like cheese on toast or a biscuit to cover an afternoon and evening of flying (and pay several thousand pounds for it too). Then as you indicate there was a significant uplift in the CW catering with Do&Co, and I guess at that point the gap was too wide to be sustainable. I take your point about the downsides, but it is better overall to more passengers to give the choice, with ear plugs and eye masks available.

A version of CW sleeper service sort-of continues from the Middle East post midnight departures, though they do get a better breakfast service as you get near London. The first meal service still causes anguished posts here, including one a few months ago.