Wiki Posts
Search

Brother, Can You Spare a LPGS?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2022, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Brother, Can You Spare a LPGS?

I'm in the Galleries First Lounge, aka the FLounge, for maybe the first time ever. I might have been here before, once, when T5 was newly opened and I used to fly CW. I think there was a brief period when the Club lounge S. was closed and they let everyone into the FLounge. That was a long time ago and I have no memory of it other than that I think they had a wide collection of 1er Cru Chablis on offer.

Anyway, I've been reading complaints about this FLounge since I started posting on this board, but haven't experienced it because I mostly use the lounges when I'm on a long haul first trip so obviously I go into the CCR, and not here.

Of course, it's Christmas evening and the place is largely deserted. But the ambiance is pretty good and the food and beverage choices are not bad. From a food standpoint, alone, there are way more choices here than in the CCR, granted as self-serve and not delivered by a server. I can see how this place could be overrun and as a result lose all charm.

In the view of those who despise this place and say you'd be better off in the T5B Club lounge, is the problem merely overcrowding, turning this place into an uninhabitable zoo with no place to sit, or is there something else I am missing? At least tonight, Christmas, this seems vastly better than the Galleries S. Club lounge when I used to use it.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 10:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by champignon
In the view of those who despise this place and say you'd be better off in the T5B Club lounge, is the problem merely overcrowding, turning this place into an uninhabitable zoo with no place to sit, or is there something else I am missing? At least tonight, Christmas, this seems vastly better than the Galleries S. Club lounge when I used to use it.
Some of the posts on Flounge may have a bit of exaggeration for effect, it's very, very rare when Flounge reaches 80% of seated capacity - seats available to sit on would be a different matter. But yes T5B works best for usually being very quiet and usually well under 50% full. On a day like today - or most days after 16:00 hrs - I would not be advocating T5B over GC South.

There is one perhaps unintended aspect and that's the way people move. So GCS has a southern section whence most people seem to gravitate, with the northern end quieter. There are one or two main pathways which are always busy. T5B has a dual entrance and the seats then scattered around in nodes off the main path - this works really well, along with the long glass wall.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Some of the posts on Flounge may have a bit of exaggeration for effect, it's very, very rare when Flounge reaches 80% of seated capacity - seats available to sit on would be a different matter. But yes T5B works best for usually being very quiet and usually well under 50% full. On a day like today - or most days after 16:00 hrs - I would not be advocating T5B over GC South.

There is one perhaps unintended aspect and that's the way people move. So GCS has a southern section whence most people seem to gravitate, with the northern end quieter. There are one or two main pathways which are always busy. T5B has a dual entrance and the seats then scattered around in nodes off the main path - this works really well, along with the long glass wall.
At 80% capacity you should totally start pre-emptively waking/shaking anybody who looks like they might start fall asleep in the lounge(s).
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
I have absolutely no idea what the connection with the hustle and bustle in GF is with T5B, and sparing the OP a glass of LPGS? 😅

But yes, OP. GF is a nice place, if that was the point
Old Dec 25, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
There was a period from 2014 to 2017, when I had access to GF, and I always found it absolutely fine.

So, whilst things may have worsened in the last 5 years, I think a few of the GF critics may be a little over-sensitive. Or else, they really need to see how bad things are in the Club lounges, to appreciate how lucky they really are in GF…
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bafan
There was a period from 2014 to 2017, when I had access to GF, and I always found it absolutely fine.

So, whilst things may have worsened in the last 5 years, I think a few of the GF critics may be a little over-sensitive. Or else, they really need to see how bad things are in the Club lounges, to appreciate how lucky they really are in GF…
It is an entirely different lounge from what it was in the first few years it was opened.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I like GF just fine. People say it's not up to the standard of Qantas lounges etc, and I agree, but the sheer numbers and available space make that very hard. Sit down table service akin to Qantas First in LAX and SIN would be a hard ask based on the sheer numbers going through GF. BA did a good job with the QR code delivery and I'm surprised more of that didn't stick. In short, I have never had any trouble finding a seat or something decent to eat.
bafan, camdentown and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I like it, and almost always manage to snaffle a space on the high table overlooking runway 09R. It's not perfect, but I also find some of the criticism overblown. My wish for 2023 is to see a return of newspapers and magazines- won't happen though.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Dec 25, 2022 at 3:13 pm
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What I would say about the F lounge is too many power sockets don’t work, and that the toilets are very poor.
worldtrav, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I agree with the power socket situation and toilets being poor, but as a Gold member with recent memories of being Silver you won’t find me complaining - it’s a great step up from the Club lounges. Even when I’m struggling to find a seat with power early in the morning I just remind myself of the alternatives…
becks1, TTmex and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL, IHG, Hilton H
I must be unlucky then - every time I've been in, it's been rammed

[QUOTE=corporate-wage-slave;34863177]Some of the posts on Flounge may have a bit of exaggeration for effect, it's very, very rare when Flounge reaches 80% of seated capacity - seats available to sit on would be a different matter. ]
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I was in the Galleries First lounge shortly before Christmas. In most ways a rather pleasant experience, both lanes at first wing security open and the staff almost fighting over the few passengers so they had something to do. The lounge with a fair bit of seating open, and on the quiet side compared to normal.

However, this was what was setup as clean champagne glasses. Really?

The staff got visibly annoyed when I asked them to replace the glasses with some clean ones.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I was in the Galleries First lounge shortly before Christmas. In most ways a rather pleasant experience, both lanes at first wing security open and the staff almost fighting over the few passengers so they had something to do. The lounge with a fair bit of seating open, and on the quiet side compared to normal.

However, this was what was setup as clean champagne glasses. Really?

The staff got visibly annoyed when I asked them to replace the glasses with some clean ones.
It was a few weeks ago now, but I was struggling to find a clean tumbler for a Baileys in the section by the Gold Wing entrance. A member of staff saw and couldn’t be more apologetic. She said they were having a problem with the dishwasher and wished others would check better before putting them out on the shelf again. While it was nice she offered to get me a pristine one from the kitchen, it’s a shame they obviously haven’t fixed the issue yet…
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by dougzz
What I would say about the F lounge is too many power sockets don’t work, and that the toilets are very poor.
wow … you’re very lucky to find a power socket at all, let alone whether it works. I find a complete lack of them in that lounge. Also, the furniture is very past its best – you are correct, the toilets are disgusting. The champagne bar used to be my favourite spot – but that’s been reconfigured. I also miss the desks in the business area. Do agree that the computers should have been ripped out but they were great to work at on laptops.
Many will feel that the entire area needs a big rethink and modest investment to bring it up to scratch.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by stevebintley
It was a few weeks ago now, but I was struggling to find a clean tumbler for a Baileys in the section by the Gold Wing entrance. A member of staff saw and couldn’t be more apologetic. She said they were having a problem with the dishwasher and wished others would check better before putting them out on the shelf again. While it was nice she offered to get me a pristine one from the kitchen, it’s a shame they obviously haven’t fixed the issue yet…
Yeah, I do wonder how the staff can ignore this when they set them up, especially the visible lipstick marks on a number of glasses.
EuropeanPete and stevebintley like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.