Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dec 2022 Changes to British Airways taxes and fees on redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Dec 2022 Changes to British Airways taxes and fees on redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by JAXBA
If only there was a community that BA/IAG Loyalty knew of, where willing volunteers could point out all the obvious holes in their best laid plans... Where could they find such knowledgeable, helpful, and loyal customers I wonder???
The Points Guy editorial team!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
What I take from this (as a UK-based member) is 2 things:
1) BA F is harder and harder to get on Avios. Availability is close to non-existent on some routes. The industry is moving that way though, you see what AF did with La Première (FB Platinums only), and how LH and LX don't publish F awards to other FFPs either. I have a feeling BA will be getting rid of F awards altogether at some point, or maybe reduce availability to only Golds, and at a high uncompetitive price (IMHO).
2) The devaluation was always going to come at some point, they've been too generous on CC bonuses recently. BA have decided they would rather sell Avios to CC companies than reward flyers. Their business, their choice. Let's see how they implement the whole spend-based scheme next year, but the writing's on the wall from my point of view.
TTmex, SavvyTravel, AJA_ and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Something like JER-DFW return in J used to be about 125k miles + £670. Now it's either 180k miles + £450, or 125k miles + £840. Not the worst devaluation we'll experience but certainly not an improvement...
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
available for US and UK customers only. quelle surprise.
Fredrik74, Lefly, SxMan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Nephoi; Dec 9, 2022 at 5:34 am
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a NCE-YUL booked for 2023 in CW that costed me 65k Avios and 447$. The same booking would now cost me 95k Avios and 351$. I understand from previous posts that I could change the date and keep the old pricing structure. What if I change it to a MRS-YUL? Would this be considered a new booking or can I keep the old pricing structure as it would replace an existing booking?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:31 am

The announcement also says you must have earned Avios within the past 12 months to get the old pricing, even UK/US members. That seems odd. Why add this complexity?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
Ttmex, you missed my point, it was aimed squarely at the "rah rah" bloggers who seemingly spend hundreds of thousands of Dollars (GBP, whatever), but then sound skint regarding fees that they need to pay. You wither are wealthy enough or you are not, if you are playing this game especially when you claim that Avios are so easy to earn...........I think everyone else got what I was saying?
OK, I see where you're coming from. Truth is, many people are happy to pay more to earn but not to burn. Its behavioral economics (esp. mental accounting) at it's best.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alex67500
1) BA F is harder and harder to get on Avios. Availability is close to non-existent on some routes. The industry is moving that way though, you see what AF did with La Première (FB Platinums only), and how LH and LX don't publish F awards to other FFPs either. I have a feeling BA will be getting rid of F awards altogether at some point, or maybe reduce availability to only Golds, and at a high uncompetitive price (IMHO).
2) The devaluation was always going to come at some point, they've been too generous on CC bonuses recently. BA have decided they would rather sell Avios to CC companies than reward flyers. Their business, their choice. Let's see how they implement the whole spend-based scheme next year, but the writing's on the wall from my point of view.
Absolutely. I saw an article from the telegraph the other day which was provokatively titled to suggest the middle class had ruined airline lounges. I'd imagine First will become ever more exclusive, catering to those really willing to pay for it. But at the same time business class is improving in many aspects, so the difference between the two is much less these days. With F getting eliminated by many airlines, the place for competition with be in J cabins, already seen in the development of Polaris, Club Suites, etc. Having flown F a few times, I certainly enjoyed it, especially as it was UuA all times, but I was reflecting the other day on whether I'd ever pay for it and the answer was no. I can't drink that much when travelling these days and often when I'm flying longhaul my interest is maximum sleep. I've flown MEX-LHR in CW 3 times this year and all 3 just slept without eating. If I can get that in a J cabin then fine. Some will still be willing to pay for it, but that's the thing - pay for it.

Spend-based is a matter of time and I'm confident in my bet that BA will introduce some kind of min spend levels for Silver and Gold in the future.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
The announcement also says you must have earned Avios within the past 12 months to get the old pricing, even UK/US members. That seems odd. Why add this complexity?
This has always been a requirement for RFS earlier(short haul) for all BAEC members. Transfers from Amex/Chase etc. activates RFS instantly.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure if everyone here understands that whether one views this new order as good or not for the US/UK is immaterial to what it means for the other 40-50% of BA fliers, it is a SEVERE devaluation, of up to 50%. This is ridiculous, and in fact if unchanged will be one of the worse devaluations in the history of FF programmes. Made worse by the fact that a couple of Bloggers are pushing it as wonderful because they are getting a slight break when using 2 for 1 vouchers............ Unfortuantely big FF blogs generally are not done out of BRU, IST, HKG, CDG, or anywhere but the US and UK, which is perhaps why this message is not getting out there. Just look at "Godsavethepoints" who sort of acknowledges this problem, but from the comments cannot seem to understand that this may effect half of BA's top clients!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:20 am

I'm looking forward to the first thread in which someone gets one leg of their First reward booking downgraded and BA try their standard tactic of trying to compensate people by way of the fare difference... Because the fare goes up!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
In regard 2). The generous credit card bonuses are Avios that BA have sold to a credit card company/bank, so don’t need to lead to a devaluation. By cutting the rate to Nectar, BA took a step to protecting revenue outflow, and since they control the number of reward seats released the added Avios in circulation don’t matter. What BA have seemingly done is decided to simply stuff their pockets, they’ve sold the Avios, and now they’re wanting to make them worth less by requiring more for the same thing. I think the big losers here maybe Barclays and Amex. They’ve paid for these Avios to entice/retain business, yet BA are now in danger of making the Avios so worthless that rewards seem unobtainable. Once the revenue based earning kicks in for many leisure flyers the only way to earn sufficient Avios will be credit card spend, and an awful lot of people won’t spend near enough to build substantial numbers of Avios. Barclays in particular have been very generous in their Avios offers this last year, that won’t be sustainable as credit card fees in UK simply do not support that level of reward, and the pay plan current account Barclays have may also be unsustainable, 1500/£12 is buying business. They’ll be a group of people that have done very well out of Barclays this last year, that won’t be repeatable and their Avios earning capability may shrink considerably.

The TFC’s may seems much less of an issue once people realise the real problem is their inability to earn Avios.

Only time will tell, but I’ve always thought BAEC was excellent and it certainly drove me towards BA/OW, but that’s now going to need further consideration, particularly once I see how revenue based earning plays out for me, although I already know the answer will be badly.
skiaplg likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by Okrib
You can also earn significant points through using the BA e-store. Apple are offering 6 Avios per £ spent. So a Macbook would be 10,000 points. Sainsbury's is 15 Avios per £ etc.
If, and only if, the transaction does track (see threads about the e-store!)
alex67500 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
US members cannot effectively get 100% of old pricing so lets drop this statement. Before US members could avoid the higher ex-US surcharges by booking one-ways from non-US locations. We cannot effectively do that anymore unless we register our BAEC account outside the US (which has its own set of complications as I understand it). Surcharges on one-ways from the UK and EU back to the US are now a couple to several hundred dollars more than they were prior to this change (at least in my limited testing). For UK members getting uniform pricing is great since their surcharges are lower than for US members but for us it is a net loss. And yes I have earned many 1000s of Avios in the past 12 months so I am seeing the "old" pricing.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
US members cannot effectively get 100% of old pricing so lets drop this statement. Before US members could avoid the higher ex-US surcharges by booking one-ways from non-US locations. We cannot effectively do that anymore unless we register our BAEC account outside the US (which has its own set of complications as I understand it).
…and before anyone tries that game to save a few bucks then come back to this forum panicking that they absolutely need to change the address back for their Chase account or whatever and the system won’t let them, please remember the rules limiting how long you need to wait after an address change before a further investigation be…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.