Wiki Posts
Search

BA Virgin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:19 am
Original Poster

BA Virgin

Hello all – first time poster

As the title tries to suggest I am flying BA for the first time in well over a decade but am I fairly frequent leisure traveller to the US normally with Virgin.

I am looking for any tips or advice with my recent bookings with BA, what lounges you recommend, do you think that it is worth paying to reserve seats, is there anything that you can take as a memento of your flight (like the Virgin salt and pepper pots which have somehow occasionally managed to end up in my bag) and any other help/recommendations.

Also it’s our first time travelling Ex-EU as it seems the only way to get reasonably priced flights at the moment, we are not planning on dropping a leg as we have return flights booked to MAN, we have booked a hotel at Dublin airport (Maldron) for both trips on the way out which we are able to change.

There are 3 of us flying (2 adults and one 11 year old) and we are flying from Dublin to LHR (terminal 3) then on to Las Vegas (BA275) in March on the A350 with the same return, then in August we are flying Dublin to LHR (terminal 5) then to LAX (BA281) on the 777. We are booked in club world.

In between these flights (July) we have booked a return BA flight to Milan in economy from MAN via LHR, I am guessing that we should be bronze after the first trip so are there any benefits that we can use for these flights?

Thank you in advance for any help, especially with our lounge choice at each airport, with Virgin you do not get much choice as to which lounge you use so it’s one less thing to think about.

Also we are planning on booking a global entry interview at LAS (I don’t know why we did not do it before!) and does anyone have any experience/advice for this?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Some advice added below - have a great trip!

Originally Posted by bavirgin
Hello all – first time poster

As the title tries to suggest I am flying BA for the first time in well over a decade but am I fairly frequent leisure traveller to the US normally with Virgin.

I am looking for any tips or advice with my recent bookings with BA, what lounges you recommend, do you think that it is worth paying to reserve seats, is there anything that you can take as a memento of your flight (like the Virgin salt and pepper pots which have somehow occasionally managed to end up in my bag) and any other help/recommendations.

Also it’s our first time travelling Ex-EU as it seems the only way to get reasonably priced flights at the moment, we are not planning on dropping a leg as we have return flights booked to MAN, we have booked a hotel at Dublin airport (Maldron) for both trips on the way out which we are able to change. THE MALDRON IS WALKABLE TO/FROM THE TERMINALS - IF YOU LAND IN DUBLIN T1, TAKE THE WALKWAY TO T2 AND THEN HEAD OUT TO THE FRONT AND TURN RIGHT. THE MALDRON IS ABOUT 5 MINS WALK AND IS ON YOUR LEFT (OPP THE RADISSON HOTEL). I RECKON WALKING IS QUICKER THAN FINDING THE SHUTTLE BUS PICK UP AREA AND WAITING FOR A BUS).

There are 3 of us flying (2 adults and one 11 year old) and we are flying from Dublin to LHR (terminal 3) then on to Las Vegas (BA275) in March on the A350 with the same return, then in August we are flying Dublin to LHR (terminal 5) then to LAX (BA281) on the 777. We are booked in club world. IF YOU'RE FLYING FROM DUBLIN TO LHR YOU'LL EITHER GO TO T2 (IF ON AER LINGUS) OR T5 (IF ON BA). EITHER WAY FOLLOW THE PURPLE TRANSFER SIGNS AND YOU CAN EASILY GET TO T3 ON THE SHUTTLE BUS - YOU WILL NEED TO CLEAR SECURITY AGAIN AT T3.

In between these flights (July) we have booked a return BA flight to Milan in economy from MAN via LHR, I am guessing that we should be bronze after the first trip so are there any benefits that we can use for these flights?

Thank you in advance for any help, especially with our lounge choice at each airport, with Virgin you do not get much choice as to which lounge you use so it’s one less thing to think about. IN DUBLIN YOU ONLY HAVE THE CHOICE OF ONE LOUNGE (IF YOU'RE IN CLUB EUROPE ON BA). IT ISN'T BRILLIANT AND TENDS TO BE REALLY BUSY - IT'S LOCATED RIGHT NEXT TO SECURITY AND A BIT OF A WALK TO THE GATES. IN LHR T3 YOU'LL HAVE A CHOICE OF THE BA, CATHAY, QANTAS, AND AMERICAN LOUNGES. CATHAY IS GENERALLY REGARDED AS THE BEST, WITH QANTAS SECOND BEST. THEY DON'T ANNOUNCE BA FLIGHTS IN ANY OF THEM SO WATCH THE SCREENS. THE NOODLE BAR IN THE CATHAY LOUNGE IS GOOD.

Also we are planning on booking a global entry interview at LAS (I don’t know why we did not do it before!) and does anyone have any experience/advice for this?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Dublin's great for a night out before you start the trip. The airport is an easy cab ride from the centre, so you may want to consider a hotel in the city rather than what is a relatively mediocre airport hotel.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
You'll have the ability to select seats for free one week before departure. You can also use business class check-in if you need to check bags.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for replying with some good advice!
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Poster

What would you recommend for the lounges at LAX and LAS?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Consider using the Enrolment on Arrival program rather than booking an interview, that’s what I did a month ago for my interview.

Mine was at SFO but they do them at LAS as well. For what it’s worth I just followed the Global Entry signs on arrival and there was an enrolment on arrival desk in the are, I was first to arrive so got seen straight away, those following had to write their names on a list attached to a clipboard and sit waiting on some provided chairs. The “interview” involved no questions whatsoever, just handed passport to officer who tapped away at his computer a bit, then handed my passport back and said you’re all set. Three minutes start to finish.

As I say that’s the SFO experience, who knows how consistent LAS may be!
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
What would you recommend for the lounges at LAX and LAS?
Take a look at the lounge thread on the dashboard.

Depending on status , cabin or third party lounge membership, along with which terminal, will determine lounges.

Both las and lax have some of the better lounges in the USA.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
… and please minimise the “souvenirs”!
Fatdickie and BA or bust like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by T8191
… and please minimise the “souvenirs”!
They are allowed to take food and drink from the lounge though right?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:04 pm

bavirgin

Forgot to post links to the relevant thread

BA lounge access guidelines
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
They are allowed to take food and drink from the lounge though right?
of course! In fact I think there's a dedicated thread that explains just how much can be liberated. For some unknown reason, it's still not got a link from the dashboard sticky...
gliderpilot likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:07 pm

This is the updated one

BA lounge access guidelines
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Both las and lax have some of the better lounges in the USA.
I’d have to disagree on LAS.
crazyarmadillo and drwook like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

A warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board bavirgin.

I've been through LAX a fair few times including when I had no status and long before i joined Flyertalk but now I do have status then I also endorse using the QF lounge where I've had some great experiences.

No views there though but on occasion in the past I've very happily wandered along to numerous gates not only to stretch my legs, but also just do a bit of proper plane spotting. I've done this in various airports across the globe as after a few hours it's nice to do something different but as always YMMV.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 24, 2022 at 4:02 pm Reason: adding welcome!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.