Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA891 Sofia to LHR cancelled HELP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
BA891 Sofia to LHR cancelled HELP

So after three and half hours sat onboard the flight was cancelled. They say they need to fly another plane out tomorrow and be back at the airport at 8am. That is 6am time London and if I am right on thinking planes can’t leave before 6am so add on 3.5 hours and 2 hour time difference plane could not be here before 11.30 am I right? Online chat is useless is there anywhere to see details on this plane coming out because it will obviously have a special flight number? To compound this BA do not fly here on a Monday
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Online chat will know nothing more than what is being shown on BA.com! This remains the current plan…

Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It’s not clear whether a part will come from somewhere else or a plane will be flown out. My suspicion is the former is probably the preferred solution generally. Bear in mind parts don’t have to come from LHR or indeed stock BA holds themselves.
nancypants and Bluekjp like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Yes but plane cannot leave till 6am can it? And takes three and half hours to get here so can’t be 8am. The pilot said it would have to be another plane
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
What's the help you require? Just the time or have you got an onward ticket you're going to miss?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Could it come from Gatwick rather than Heathrow? Could network ops send an a/c tonight with crew doing minimum rest (or your crew taking back or perhaps a positioning crew), could they lease a plane?

If you’re being told to check in at a certain time, I know it’s a pain but you fail to do so at your peril.

If still on plane i’m sure captain won’t mind being asked to clarify / explain plan.

Just keep in mind plans might change.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The SOF b2b thread suggests there at least 4 more FT’ers on your flight so good luck to you all!
wrp96, stephenjc, mikeyfly and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Trappy
Yes but plane cannot leave till 6am can it? And takes three and half hours to get here so can’t be 8am. The pilot said it would have to be another plane
I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Originally Posted by Percy Pig
The SOF b2b thread suggests there at least 4 more FT’ers on your flight so good luck to you all!
And to that end I note QR fly to Sofia
wrp96, alex67500, Yoshi212 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
The replacement aircraft doesn't have to come from LHR, it could be at any other location where BA have a spare available.

What help are you asking for? I'm struggling to understand what question you're asking.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am also a little unclear. But this is what I would do

1) Find a hotel within easy reach. Happily the HGI at OTP is a mere 98€ at the moment.
2) Book it and then stroll over.
3) Make yourself a restorative cup of tea (other options apparently exist)
4) Check app to see if something has come up
5) Check FT to see if the forumites have come up with something. Maybe ring BA on the USA number if necessary.
6) Consider any evening meal options
7) Go to bed.

Mostly stuff can be sorted out.
LCY8737, salut0, wrp96 and 15 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In these circumstances, follow the local guidance. If they say be back at the airport at 6am I would do just that.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:34 pm

I think Trappy is just trying to find what the plan is and whether the 0800 departure is realistic. I think unfortunately they need to plan on that basis, albeit the plan may still change. I would just have a relaxed night at the hotel and wake tomorrow to see whether there are updates.

Just to emphasise if a hotel has not been provided directly by BA's ground handling passengers are perfectly entitled to book something themselves and claim back. I am sure there must be availability around the airport for less than £250 tonight.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to you all if BA fly a plane out would it appear on FlightAware or similar? Yeah I got Hyatt to honour last nights rate in GBP 97. Set alarm for 5.30 (3.30am) to see what awaits

Last edited by Trappy; Nov 6, 2022 at 1:38 pm Reason: More

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think the OP was questioning how the requirement to be at the airport for 8am could be right given what he considers to be the operational limitations- namely that the replacement will not be able to leave before 6, which means that it could not arrive much before 11, thereby making the 8am start improbable. I think various posters have now provided feedback and information to the effect that, for various reasons, the 8am start is very much a possibility. I advise the OP to follow the instructions on when to arrive back at SOF!
nancypants likes this.

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am also a little unclear. But this is what I would do

1) Find a hotel within easy reach. Happily the HGI at OTP is a mere 98€ at the moment.
2) Book it and then stroll over.
3) Make yourself a restorative cup of tea (other options apparently exist)
4) Check app to see if something has come up
5) Check FT to see if the forumites have come up with something. Maybe ring BA on the USA number if necessary.
6) Consider any evening meal options
7) Go to bed.

Mostly stuff can be sorted out.
That is still quite a taxi ride from SOF for us all
DYKWIA, wrp96, gojko88 and 10 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.