Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best (and worst) lounge your Silver card gets you in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best (and worst) lounge your Silver card gets you in.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Best (and worst) lounge your BA Silver card gets you in.

While relaxing with a decent class of champagne here in the AY lounge at Vantaa (HEL it is not) I was simply wondering which is the best lounge on the planet a mere Silver card and an economy OW ticket grants access to a thirsty traveller.

Id put this right up there with the CX lounge at LHR T3. But I will confirm after sampling their champagne next week. 😀

Nominations for truly awful lounges equally accepted.

Last edited by ManInExitRow; Nov 1, 2022 at 6:01 am
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ManInExitRow
While relaxing with a decent class of champagne here in the AY lounge at Vantaa (HEL it is not) I was simply wondering which is the best lounge on the planet a mere Silver card and an economy OW ticket grants access to a thirsty traveller.

Id put this right up there with the CX lounge at LHR T3. But I will confirm after sampling their champagne next week. 😀

Nominations for truly awful lounges equally accepted.
DFW Flagship Lounge, CX Pier at HKG, CX at LHR have been some of the best.

ETA, the AS lounges at LAX and SEA when flying domestic have both been a pleasant surprise too when compared to Admirals Clubs.

Not bad nessecarily but found VIE a bit meh all told.

Last edited by Cw novice; Nov 1, 2022 at 5:48 am
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
All CX lounges for sure (LHR, CDG, HKG), in T3 the Quantus lounge is also nice and also in SIN.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Best : NQY when empty
Worst: NQY when full
rt23456p, Delboy65 and MatJarosz like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: LH,ITA,BA Silver,AY Gold
AY non-Schengen Busines lounge 👍

In addition good points to 3 lounges at LAX: AA Flagship, Oneworld lounge in Tom Bradley, and AS. AS surprised for a morning visit with decent bagels, a professionally made Bloddy Mary and a barista making Starbucks drinks to order.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold
I am sure there are plenty worse - but I spent far too much time in the Luxembourg lounge as a Silver flying economy. When the lounge was busy you were best going elsewhere.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
I feel inexplicably sad that the pre-Terraces "Executive Club Lounge" in Stuttgart has closed. The lounge so bad BA took their name off it!
SxMan and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:49 am

The worst lounge I have ever been in was Genoa. Empty plates that may have held snack food, broken coffee machine, dirty seating, no booze, before security .........

The best is the normal J lounges in T5. It is the terminal I fly most from when in Y so getting business check in, fast track, the lounge itself and easy boarding before my Y seat is great. My flights from T3 have generally been in J or F so my Silver status does not matter.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC
CX T3 and QF T3 definitely. I also think the LGW J lounge is excellent.

The old BA lounge in GVA was dreadful but I think that's been refurbished now. The MAN T3 Escape lounge isn't great.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Best I've used by a mile is the Pier Business in Hong Kong. JAL Sakura Lounge at Narita is also a favourite of mine.

The LHR T3 QF and CX lounges are good.

AA Flagships in the USA are genuinely good, visited all except DFW recently, Chicago possibly the pick for me. Possibly because it contrasts so starkly against the sweaty box that is the Galleries Lounge at ORD T5, which is surely one of the worst and it's not even a contract lounge!

I'm not expecting great things from the new QR Gold lounge in Doha, but the old "Business Class" (read: Sapphires Flying In Economy) lounge in Doha was really poor and always rammed. The ~2020 built QR Silver lounge (which is now effectively a QR-Ruby-Flying-QR lounge) was better but fairly bog standard. If the new Gold lounge is a big improvement it should be a pretty decent lounge, albeit not a patch on Al Mourjan.

Classic AAdmirals Clubs at secondary US airports tend to be pretty bad in terms of decor, facilities, offering and busyness.
trolleymusic likes this.

Last edited by St Elmos Fire; Nov 1, 2022 at 11:13 am
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
MRS is the worst Oneworld lounge I have visited
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
The worst lounge I have ever been in was Genoa. Empty plates that may have held snack food, broken coffee machine, dirty seating, no booze, before security .........

The best is the normal J lounges in T5. It is the terminal I fly most from when in Y so getting business check in, fast track, the lounge itself and easy boarding before my Y seat is great. My flights from T3 have generally been in J or F so my Silver status does not matter.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:56 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Greenpen;34724099]The worst lounge I have ever been in was Genoa. Empty plates that may have held snack food, broken coffee machine, dirty seating, no booze, before security .........

Genoa sounds like the special place in hell reserved for Manchester passengers.

The BA lounges at T5 are ok (ish) (even first) but not a patch on CX or the aforementioned AY haven at HEL. I put myself out (a little) to hang on Silver but gold benefits seem not worth the effort unless you do serious mileage at company expense. Its a shame that QR keeps its lounges at DOH to its own.

I echo everyone who said CX Pier at HKG. Also a big fan of the QF lounge in HKG and SIN, but I think the HKG lounge is permanently closed.

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
For all its excellence in other aspects of relaxation, luxury, and joie de vivre, Italy in my experience just cannot come up with a decent airport lounge for some inexplicable reason (disclaimer: I've yet to visit FCO, of which I hear good things).

The lounge in CTA looked more like a storage room for excess chairs, than a lounge; maybe if they removed the reception desk, they could fit 12 pax at a time instead of 10.

TRN was the only airport in my adult life I've ever flown out of stone-cold sober, as their idea of a "rum and coke" was a splash of local nail varnish remover, followed by a splash of room temperature supermarket cola from a communal 2L bottle, followed by an entire half of a lemon floating on top, all served in a paper coffee cup, with no ice.

BLQ at least has the nice touch of a private in-lounge security line, but it's also fairly small; and, they serve some of the worst pizza I've ever tasted in my life... and it's in Italy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.