Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Overnight connection LHR - luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

I have only had one occasion (in GVA) where I had an overnight connection and my luggage was checked through from ATH to NYC. That was fine and luggage arrived without issue.

I am considering a combo of BA flights which would have a 22 hour connection in LHR, I will not need my luggage and want it checked through. My question is for anyone that has had this done at LHR were there any problems such as luggage not being delivered, lost, stolen, etc? I have had mostly negative experiences going thru LHR and BA has misplaced my luggage twice and ending up delivering it to my home three days after I got there.

I have had BA lose luggage on non stop flights, luckily always on my return flights, so not sure what their track record is on getting the luggage on the connecting flight the next day.

Cheers
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've not seen a reliable report of theft from LHR for many years. There was a problem in this area, but the installation of cameras and one high profile set of prosecutions (including photos in the Evening Standard) seems to have put paid to that. Luggage is probably more secure there than you taking it to a hotel and back. There was a problem over the summer with delayed baggage, and multiple reports of this in the forum, but that seems to have gotten somewhat better as of late. Nevertheless it remains a risk and so you need to pack with that risk in mind, so take a photo of the contents and leave contact details in the luggage.
cruisr likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just one data point, but my wife and I recently (end of September) flew EDI-LHR-LJU (Ljubljana) with an overnight stay in the LHR going out and on the return home.
in both cases we had checked baggage that stayed in T5 overnight and it made it fine onto our flights the next morning.
This was a little stressful on the way out, as it was a cycling holiday and it was our bikes. No bikes, no holiday!
Obviously **** happens now and again, but you're more than likely to be absolutely fine
cruisr likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:28 am

An Apple Air Tag or Samsung Smart Tracker provides inexpensive peace of mind.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Assuming that you are connecting T5 to T5...Your bag will be put into a storage tray and then the automated baggage system will go and file it away in a slot in the underground bag warehouse over night. Once the baggage containers for your flight the next day are being made up, it will automatically be retrieved and tipped out on the belt for loading in the can the same as if you had just checked it in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.