Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight + car considerably cheaper than flight only?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Apologies if this has been done before.

I have just booked a flight plus car for around 15% less than the cost of flight only. Another BA IT quirk, or something else? In the past, I have had a car for a quid and a weekend in an S-Class Merc for under 100, but this is the first time I have, effectively, been paid to take a car!

Not shouting about the details, for obvious reasons.
dougzz and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
It’s been reported previously I think. I don’t think it’s particularly rare for it to happen. Regardless it always feels like a result.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
Apologies if this has been done before.

I have just booked a flight plus car for around 15% less than the cost of flight only. Another BA IT quirk, or something else? In the past, I have had a car for a quid and a weekend in an S-Class Merc for under 100, but this is the first time I have, effectively, been paid to take a car!

Not shouting about the details, for obvious reasons.
I've definitely had this a couple of years ago. Booked a weekend in the UK (flying from ZRH in CE), and adding an E Class Merc for a couple of days brought the total price down. I presume BAH has access to some fare buckets the rest of us don't.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
This is pretty standard for a BAH booking. You can often get a hotel or car effectively for free. I always look at what I can get via BAH when looking at booking flights.even a single night in a hotel booked at the same time ie creating a BAH booking often reduces the price of the fare alone.

There is a downside in that if there are changes to the flights you have to contact BAH rather than BA. You will not usually be able to make changes via MMB.
crazyarmadillo and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Not 100% sure but IIRC I've read on here that sometimes a BAHs booking can result in the flights booking into cheaper fare buckets than are available at the time for flights only.

I had it once a few years ago with a GLA > LHR and return for a weekend visiting family. Adding in 3 days car hire actually reduced the price of the by a few s.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Also I think when booked through BA holidays the ET fare includes a checked bag vs having to pay extra for it on a flight only booking.

But it's not a true Plus fare because you don't get the free same day change ability, or maybe you do but need to call BAH to do it - I never tried that, but couldn't do it online.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Exactly.

The last time I used BAH I started with an HBO fare weekend in BCN. Adding a car cost 10 and on top converted the HBO booking to a regular baggage one.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
I looked at flight only to PFO for next October and also flight plus car to compare. Naturally, with my luck the way it is, the car was an extra 380 for 10 nights. We have been lucky in the past (good value, never cheaper) but like BA, I guess Avis have fare buckets this far out and are chancing their luck. If I check again in a month, Im sure it will be cheaper but then the i class may have gone for the flights by then so you cant always win!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
And don't forget the double TPs if you're departing from the UK and staying long enough!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Amb
This situation happens because the flight component of a BAH package is often based on an Inclusive Tour (IT) fare. These are fares that are not allowed to be marketed or sold as a standalone product and are not allowed to have their price disclosed separately. They can share the same buckets as published fares, e.g. booking as a package can access a cheaper "D" fare than a flight-only deal can: it's not necessarily about more availability opening up in cheaper fare buckets.

The same principle often applies to the hotel portion of a package, with the room rate being confidential and only to be sold as a package. It's a great way to generate further sales without airlines or hotels having to undercut their lowest, published rates.... and as a consumer, you can often get a great deal.

I don't actually know if car rental companies make package fares available - but even if they don't it all still works out if adding the car "unlocks" the IT fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.