Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK to Canada / BAEC status match on other airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Evening all,

Ive been scouring the internet and the forum, and its time to pick the collective brain here.

I fly to Canada once or twice a year - to YVR or YYC, usually flying WTP. Looking to book a trip for this Dec, but there seem to be no (or vanishingly few) direct BA offerings, and even non-direct is pretty pricey in WT, let alone WTP.

So, Im now considering other airlines. Im BAEC silver, is it worth trying to get a status match with (e.g.) Air Canada / Virgin / Lufthansa etc who all seem to have better offerings for Canadian routes I generally travel there for skiing so the baggage allowance from BAEC silver is helpful.

Any info / tips appreciated (including on where to find a non eye-watering BA fare!).

Thanks, as ever.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
What has your research found so far?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
What has your research found so far?
Not an awful lot, hence asking here

Air Canada dont seem to status match - overtly at least.

Ive found a Virgin Status match, and some contradictory info on whether its possible to match (in convoluted fashion) to the KLM or Lufthansa schemes.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Monium
Not an awful lot, hence asking here…

Air Canada don’t seem to status match - overtly at least.

I’ve found a Virgin Status match, and some contradictory info on whether it’s possible to match (in convoluted fashion) to the KLM or Lufthansa schemes.
It would be best to go to the KLM/AirFrance boards and ask there if anyone has matched.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sadly, Virgin does not fly to Canada (they do to Seattle, which is close to Vancouver. Albeit, in another country). I would rather fly BA economy then Air Canada anything (Canadians know why).

On Google flights. I see LHR to YVR return, Dec 3 - 13 for $2843 Cdn. It does go up, as you approach Christmas.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I think TAP and Turkish airlines offer status match now and then.
Monium likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If you're going to YYC your choices are AC, KLM and Westjet. LH is a codeshare with AC I believe, I don't think LH metal comes to YYC.

YVR has a few more options. I'm not aware of WS offering status matches, your best bet might be KLM.
Monium likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You just missed a WestJet Status match.
SxMan and testycal like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Really? Thats annoying.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Maybe not?
Westjet issues status match [till December 15, 2022]
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
sadly the link on WJ says the offer has expired

I may have found a Finnair fare to YVR via an OTA (connecting in Seattle outbound, LAX return) which isnt crazy money, though only economy. Looking like a reasonable option right now.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Eurowings Discover has been sending a Finnair A350 on the FRA-YYC route for a while now, with the forward J cabin sold as J, and the rear (smaller) J cabin sold as Y+... so you'd basically get Y+ service in a J seat. Pretty decent fares too, but I think they only credit to M&M.
Monium likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Eurowings Discover has been sending a Finnair A350 on the FRA-YYC route for a while now, with the forward J cabin sold as J, and the rear (smaller) J cabin sold as Y+... so you'd basically get Y+ service in a J seat. Pretty decent fares too, but I think they only credit to M&M.
that sounds very useful but I cant find that route via Eurowings, Google or any other OTA. Have they stopped running it, or am I being inept in my searches?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:32 pm

It's AY72
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...415Z/EDDF/CYYC
Old Oct 4, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by Monium
Evening all,

Ive been scouring the internet and the forum, and its time to pick the collective brain here.

I fly to Canada once or twice a year - to YVR or YYC, usually flying WTP..................... Im BAEC silver, is it worth trying to get a status match with (e.g.) Air Canada / Virgin / Lufthansa etc who all seem to have better offerings for Canadian routes I generally travel there for skiing so the baggage allowance from BAEC silver is helpful.

Thanks, as ever.
2 round trips to Vancouver in AC's premium economy is going to earn you (9406*1.25)*2 = 23,515 SQM, which isn't enough for the lowest E25 tier. You could get creative with routing (eg via YYZ) which would put you over that threshold (along with the required minimum $3k net spend, which you should reach anyhow).
If you did make that status, you would get 2 free 23kg bags (and free sports equipment like skis as part of that), and 20 upgrade credits - not quite enough to upgrade a latitude or premium economy fare to business both ways (22 or 24 required respectively), but enough for econ to premium Economy (although read the upgrade rules carefully as some fares have a co-pay). Upgrades are tricky via YYZ, but mostly easier on the direct YVR route.

So unless you travel more frequently on AC, its not going to be of much use, and even if there was a status match it might be difficult for you to maintain it. If you lived in Canada or the US then you could get a premium CC a few of which come with complimentary E25 status.
The other carriers mentioned in this thread would give you more earning opportunities from your other flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.