Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why Are BA Flightdeck Crew So Reluctant to Provide Updates On Delays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are BA Flightdeck Crew So Reluctant to Provide Updates On Delays?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
We need Waterhorse.

Anyone being rude to/about them should be banned for a month!
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:46 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
We need Waterhorse.

Anyone being rude to/about them should be banned for a month!
I don't recall anyone in this thread being rude to anyone. Robust and disagreeing....yes and as far as I know this is permitted on here and in all walks of British society.

Disagreeing or having an alternative view really is not a crime.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BOH
I don't recall anyone in this thread being rude to anyone. Robust and disagreeing....yes and as far as I know this is permitted on here and in all walks of British society.

Disagreeing or having an alternative view really is not a crime.
I've been through your posts upthread I would say that there is a fine line here and because we are all in front of computers it's difficult to get over the body language. At least one of your sentences (of many) can be fairly read in the patronising to sarcastic to over-defensiveness spheres. A few other sentence imply that the pilots are in some way failing to do a good job. Not the end of the world, but it can perhaps explain why you are getting some thread pushback even if not so much tug pushback. There again I'm not seeing direct rudeness. Just my point of view.

I must admit my general experiences are quite different from your experiences. Tonight my departure was delayed by 1 hour 40 minutes late due to multiple factors. We were apparently ready to go at 16:30, at 16:37 we had a 2 minute explanation from the flight deck, including the comment that there was a further delay due to an ATC radar desk being closed, and that in 10 minutes he would update us. At 16:53 we got that update (a bit over 10 minutes) and 2 minutes later we pushback. We got 3 further announcements from the front - one mid flight, two after landing. That's an anecdote but very much in line with what I get. I've been on Ryanair services where there may be an apology for the (rare) delay but rarely a clear explanation. I kind of feel that's OK for a LCC, given how little their fares are.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Our Seville to Gatwick flight was about 1 hour late to depart on sunday, The Captain exlained to all that there was a late maintenance issue that needed addressing before they deperted LGW. That and the resuting paperwork had caused the delay, we were only about 30mins late into LGW in the end.
BOH likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:09 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've been through your posts upthread I would say that there is a fine line here and because we are all in front of computers it's difficult to get over the body language. At least one of your sentences (of many) can be fairly read in the patronising to sarcastic to over-defensiveness spheres. A few other sentence imply that the pilots are in some way failing to do a good job. Not the end of the world, but it can perhaps explain why you are getting some thread pushback even if not so much tug pushback. There again I'm not seeing direct rudeness. Just my point of view.
Thanks for your point of view, it is appreciated. I do detect there is some support for more consistent announcements too, some have posted good experiences re being kept informed on BA, some have been in agreement with me that it could be improved. It is really positive that some have posted they have been kept informed on BA because that says it can be done when there is a will by the flightdeck and that as usual with BA........it is the inconsistency that is always the problem.

Sarcasm can cut both ways, I trust you will be posting the same reply to an earlier response of "but your curiosity sits well down on my list of priorities" to my quite reasonable question. I had already posted multiple times as to why it can be beneficial to be kept informed so that was possibly also quite a sarcastic and patronising reply. I'll look out for your similar post Corporate-Wage-Slave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.