Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why Are BA Flightdeck Crew So Reluctant to Provide Updates On Delays?

Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:40 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

Maybe this is just my experiences recently but I don't seem to experience this on U2, FR or IB, all of which I have flown recently as well as BA.

5 out of 6 recent BA flights have been delayed, all after all pax have actually boarded. Here is a summary of 3:

1. An "airfield restriction" at LGW resulting in a delayed departure - we were told we would push back shortly but would then be taxiing to a remote stand and wait for 20 minutes before taxiing to the runway. 20 minutes went by and we actually sat on that remote stand for nearly 50 minutes - no further updates were given during that extra 30 minutes.
2. An announced delay after all boarded due to an electrical fault that one of the pilots announced would be a full power off of the aircraft and 2 minute wait before powering back up. He also said some checks have to then be repeated but this would be a maximum of 10 minutes and we would be off. The power off occurred and we pushed back after a further 35 minutes, not the 10.....no further update was provided to pax as to why the extra delay and approximately how much longer we would be.
3. The usual welcome from the flight-deck after all had boarded 10 minutes early, followed by "thank you for boarding promptly, good news, we will be departing at our scheduled time" etc but then we just sat at the gate and pushed back some 25 minutes after the scheduled time. No further update was provided as to why "on-time" had turned into a 25 minute delay.

It would just be courteous to give a 10 second update when a further delay is known, if only so pax can alert people at the destination, ie waiting drivers and relatives, some of whom may be clocking up expensive minutes in short-term car parks. In one of these I mentioned, I was due to meet 2 colleagues at MAD, one was flying from Germany, the other from France and then we were heading on to a client together. At least some knowledge of why we were still sat at a remote stand 30 minutes longer (and no knowledge of how much longer) would have helped in the decision as to whether they should make their way to the client and I would join them later....or to wait for me if the delay would not be too much longer.

My experience is BA are particularly bad at this, U2 always seem to give an update as do FR and IB
goldengate and 86BA7 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Just one data point but after the doors closed at VCE on Friday, the captain of the 599 actually came out to face the passengers and announced "as usual when the captain appears at the front it's not good news"... I was expecting this to be as bad as a technical cancellation but "fortunately" it was news of a 2 hour ground stop due to fog at LHR, although he did say it was ridiculous and he'd keep talking to ATC and the company and that it usually comes in. It didn't come in but he addressed the cabin a couple of times during the ground stop and then appeared again as the chocks were being removed. He also spoke again to apologise as we were held unusually long time short of the runway due to slowness of ground control at VCE.

Could not have handled it better.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I could guess that a lot of the time the FD crew don’t know either, and are trying to contact other agencies to find out if THEY know.
HIDDY, PETER01, flygirl68 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:17 am
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
Just one data point but after the doors closed at VCE on Friday, the captain of the 599 actually came out to face the passengers and announced "as usual when the captain appears at the front it's not good news"... I was expecting this to be as bad as a technical cancellation but "fortunately" it was news of a 2 hour ground stop due to fog at LHR, although he did say it was ridiculous and he'd keep talking to ATC and the company and that it usually comes in. It didn't come in but he addressed the cabin a couple of times during the ground stop and then appeared again as the chocks were being removed. He also spoke again to apologise as we were held unusually long time short of the runway due to slowness of ground control at VCE.

Could not have handled it better.
That's good to hear - was he able to address the whole plane from the front, ir those at the back could hear?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I was surprised recently on a delayed flight out of LHR T5 where the captain explained in great detail that planes don't have a reverse gear, that the pushback driver failed to arrive and that he'd called a manager to sort it out and send someone over so that we could depart. He then explained about takeoff slots, and that we'd lost ours, and having to re-file plans with air traffic control, etc.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:23 am
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
I could guess that a lot of the time the FD crew don’t know either, and are trying to contact other agencies to find out if THEY know.
As I mentioned though, U2, FR and IB all seemed to have managed to provide an update during the further delay, whether it be an ATC restriction / due to the delay, 2 nearby aircraft now have priority to pushback ahead of us / we are still waiting for the tug driver etc etc and also always gave an approximate further delay time. Just silence from BA though...
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
That's good to hear - was he able to address the whole plane from the front, ir those at the back could hear?
They Captain would use the PA that the cabin crew normally use for announcements like this. I've had it a couple of times - and like he said, it's never good news
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:32 am
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They Captain would use the PA that the cabin crew normally use for announcements like this. I've had it a couple of times - and like he said, it's never good news
Ah OK. Never experienced that....but would also immediately assume is not good news
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
Ah OK. Never experienced that....but would also immediately assume is not good news
One of the times it happened (on BA), the captain then walked to the back taking any questions.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I never found our pilots slow to give updates, what used to bother me was that they always gave the earliest estimated times which were rarely met, I requested that they added time and then came back with good news when the delay improved rather than the other way around.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Bit off topics, but usually I find pilots very difficult to hear. Sometimes it's so bad, I wonder what's the point. No issues with cabin crew announcements
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I never found our pilots slow to give updates, what used to bother me was that they always gave the earliest estimated times which were rarely met, I requested that they added time and then came back with good news when the delay improved rather than the other way around.
my experience both recently and in the past. They explain what is going on but fail to add in any contingency to optimistic timings.
Can I help you likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That is because they mostly use the microphone attached to their head set which sounds muffled, the handsets give much clearer announcements.
flygirl68, SxMan and Above like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think I prefer my pilots to be glass half full
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Speaking personally I have had both good experiences and also not so good - and I mean not just with BA but most carriers (although on balance I’d say that the LCC’s do tend to be somewhat better in this regard ……. possibly because of a greater focus on timekeeping and quick turnarounds ….?)

I suppose there is an instinctive expectation that because all pilots are highly-skilled professionals, it follows that they will be diligent & thorough where communication to passengers is concerned ; and yet the simple reality is that some just happen to be notably more conscientious than others at conveying any updates. The end user / customer can be forgotten amidst the technicalities & logistics. Perhaps not dissimilar to a scenario where medics and clinicians occasionally end up talking almost exclusively amongst themselves, whilst having to be ‘reminded’ that there is a patient involved.
nancypants and BAECAddict like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.