Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CCR alcohol etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:27 pm

I don't see any foreseeable chance of me getting to CCR status, but I love this thread 😂
bafan, GlasgowBlue and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
What is the etiquette on drinking when one’s flight is 10:25am?

First visit, what itinerary should we follow? Staying at the Thistle (yes I know) the night before.

How do we max the experience?

we are back in March for a 12:15 flight
In airports, a unique cosmic phenomenon occurs where the sun is permanently over the yardarm.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
furry teeth
Literal translation of “Feuillatte” ?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:58 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
These Etiquette threads intrigue me. Why anyone could care less what anyone drinks is beyond me. I do not get this LGPS fetiche when there are Champagnes which are far better, (Ruinart would be my choice these days) but if that is what is on offer then so be it.

What I can say is that alcohol is like men. One is rarely enough but most of us make do.
dcmike, bmiStar, HIDDY and 13 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
So many helpful answers ... and a few quizzically raised eyebrows

My post was of course slightly tongue-in-cheek, the wink emoji punctuating my first sentence clearly not catching the eye of some readers!

@AnnTravel thanks for the tips, but I first hit 5k TPs in early 2017 and spent the next 3 years in almost constant motion, so have spent more hours than I care to remember in the CCR: drinking myself silly (alone and in company), showering, sleeping, and typing till my fingers bled.... (not necessarily all at once). By the grace of Ba, I still have GGL (until early next year) but my visits to Heathrow are sparing these days.

@AnttiV - "But really, who plans their lounge drinks in advance?" well we older folk must take our pleasures where we find them, and thinking about a pleasant few hours ahead in a pleasure unto itself

Thanks though to @El_Duderito for the wine list pics, much appreciated...
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Great post

Wonderful levity. Why else would we sit in a metal tube, to be coerced into a queue at our final destination? Me, I’d rather stay in the lounge!
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond

First visit, what itinerary should we follow? Staying at the Thistle (yes I know) the night before.

Just skip the hotel and go to the CCR the night before !
MIAFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
In fact this old post lays out my usual strategy! YMMV
YMMV is correct, and 14 drinks is impressive. No judgment, that's actually comparable to the 3 bottles of Champers I quaffed last time through on a six hour connection.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Consider a BA175 with vodka instead of gin (I’m allergic. I know, I know!)

Espresso Martini as a pick me up.

LPGS to get your money’s worth.

Manhattan to make your buzz last.

😎
GlasgowBlue likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:14 pm

I do not like the LPGS.

First time I tried it in the CCR some years ago I was underwhelmed. I don't drink any other spirits other than wine so was surprised and disappointed in equal measure at the experience. I only drink Camel Valley sparkling wine (vineyard on my doorstep) and only once have found it on board (in F) once. Needless to say the two of us drank every single drop.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by flytoeat
YMMV is correct, and 14 drinks is impressive. No judgment, that's actually comparable to the 3 bottles of Champers I quaffed last time through on a six hour connection.
I am never without water accompanying my drinks, and once I finish the main meal and nap that is the cut off. Once I wake and for second service/last few hours of the flight it is coffee and tea only. Luckily I never have to drive on arrival!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

My wife and I polished off a bottle and a half of LPGS at 7am with breakfast - seemed rude not to
RockyRobin and fluffymitten like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
My wife and I polished off a bottle and a half of LPGS at 7am with breakfast - seemed rude not to
seems more rude to leave the extra half bottle?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Recently meeting someone on an earlyish flight in F so we got to the CCR 6am, had breakfast with LPGS, then more LPGS at the bar no idea how much was consumed as they were keep topping us up. Saw the Marmite on the bar, tried it, awful, it's nice on bread, not as a drink. More LPGS to wash the taste away. Then when my friend went for the flight I used the sleep pods with alarm set to wake me up in time for a lunch in the CCR before the flight. Had lunch with a selection of cocktails. Just a short flight to MAN for me, not a fan of the on-board champagne, even Monopole was better!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
So many helpful answers ... and a few quizzically raised eyebrows

My post was of course slightly tongue-in-cheek, the wink emoji punctuating my first sentence clearly not catching the eye of some readers!
😑 I suspected that your post was entirely tongue-in-cheek from the "Alcohol Etiquette" introduction. When you mentioned taking a glass of 'LPGS' to have with your starter, I thought I'd play it straight rather than be unkind. Fun thread though. 😀
OverTheHorizon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.