Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Aer Lingus bag allowance confusion

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have a similar confusion on a “straight” ei flight bought with my Ba avios. Ba etix says 20kg checked luggage, ei says nothing (;with their separate booking reference) and hand luggage allowance is even more obscure!!

does anyone know what one gets on ei y within Europe booked as award ticket through Baec? Thanks!!!
All tickets for travel on EI issued on stock other than 053 get a 10kg carry-on allowance (7kg on Aer Lingus Regional/Emerald) and a 23kg check-in baggage allowance in Economy Class.

Ignore any statements that may contradict this on your boarding pass, in the app, or in manage my booking (this only allows you to "manage" 053-stock tickets, anyway). You are unlikely to encounter any EI staff who are not aware of this; pointing out that your ticket is an Avios ticket (or a BA ticket, a United ticket, etc) is enough for them to realise that you have the "maximum" luggage allowance.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks!! That doesn't sound too encouraging! When you say "get it resolved", does it mean that they ended up honouring the BP indicated luggage inclusion? I will hope/try to travel HBO though likely with a small cabin suitcase so if there is any issue it would be good to know if you were able to have them consider the BA etix allowance! Thanks again!
Before I arrived in DUB the day before, I checked in online for the DUB-LPA flight and the boarding pass said only 10kg carryon baggage allowance. No allowance for a checked in bag.

So on arrival in DUB I went to the EI ticket desk to check. The agent looked up the booking and told me that she could see the 20kg checked-in baggage allowance so I left the airport reassured.

However, when I returned to the airport next day to check in the the bag, the system didn't recognise any checked in baggage allowance. The EI agent who was looking after the self checkin machines tried herself but got the same result. So she told me to go to one of the staffed checkin desks which I did.

The agent at the checkin desk pulled up the booking and confirmed that I had no checked in baggage allowance, only 10kg carry-on.

I then showed her the BA e-ticket receipt whereupon she tapped a few times on her keyboard and all was sorted.

So it turned out OK in the end, but there is definitely a mismatch between the BA and IE systems that seems to have been going on for some time.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks a lot both! It looks like this is a not-so-unusual situation, and as my flight is from DUB, I am indeed confident that they will know what's happening. Incidentally am I correct that there is, on the other hand, no free seat selection on those ticket? (I believe the luggage inclusive EI ones do?)
Old May 26, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I don’t know about your ticket type, but I booked a standard economy ticket with EI via BA and was able to get good seats for free by calling EI. BA could not select seats for me. I’m BA Gold so don’t know if that made a difference.
Old May 26, 2023, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it's not anything I've bothered to do, other than at EI lounges I have sometimes asked the agent there to move me. But my understanding is that BA can't offer seat selection (different system) and some Aer Lingus agents say "speak to BA". But other EI agents will do seat selection from the off, and it's always possible the evening before departure to call up to get seats.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:04 pm

A differed question about baggage.

Im traveling from Dubaj to Heathrow with BA and onto Shannon with IE. will my luggage be checked through to shannon from Dubai.
Normally i use Emirates and it checked through but first time using BA. thanks
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Rona88
Im traveling from Dubaj to Heathrow with BA and onto Shannon with IE. will my luggage be checked through to shannon from Dubai.
Normally i use Emirates and it checked through but first time using BA. thanks
If it's all on one ticket, than yes, it will be checked through with no problem at all.

BA only don't check through when you have separate tickets, so you will be fine.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
If it's all on one ticket, than yes, it will be checked through with no problem at all.

BA only don't check through when you have separate tickets, so you will be fine.
Many thanks
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Not directly related to baggage but found a new 'enhancement' in the normal messy BA ticket on EI flights scenario that actually might help some people, but stopped things working for me
  • At online checkin previously you always got stuck because you only had the BA PNR on the BA site/app and can't checkin there and that BA PNR is no good on Aer Lingus.com so you can do nothing .. I think the only thing you used to be able to do before was call BA up and they'd give you the Aer Lingus PNR and then you can go to checkin on the Aer Lingus app/site .. this always worked for me in the past with or without kids on the booking.
  • Now if you try to checkin on BA.com you've still got that problem you just get OLCI unavailable message but the app it gives you the Aer Lingus PNR ( they always begin with '2' ) and then you can go to Aer Lingus.com pull up the booking and checkin - I think this is a new (good) enhancement
  • However .. they're now transferring the Advance Passenger Info over too from your BA profile which is perhaps nice but utterly pointless on Ireland-UK flights .. and unfortunately more than it being utterly pointless it actually blocks the whole thing if you have kids on the booking since all pax from BA tickets appear as adults on the booking when it comes to Aer Lingus ( apparently this is 'normal') and because the API is pointlessly pre filled out and uneditable on AerLingus.com you end up with a child's date of birth on an 'adult' ticket in the Aer Lingus checkin system's eyes and you get blocked from going any further
I called Aer Lingus and they said it's a known issue and nothing can be done about it but the airport can override it no problem and all will be well .. minor inconvenience hopefully no queues at T2 checkin tomorrow evening, but seems like an unintended side effect of an 'enhancement' !

So if you're travelling with only adults on your booking this might be helpful as you can now get the Aer Lingus PNR and checkin on their site without needing to call up .. but the new(?) API transfer messes it all up if you've got any kids on the booking
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by irishguy28
All tickets for travel on EI issued on stock other than 053 get a 10kg carry-on allowance (7kg on Aer Lingus Regional/Emerald) and a 23kg check-in baggage allowance in Economy Class.

Ignore any statements that may contradict this on your boarding pass, in the app, or in manage my booking (this only allows you to "manage" 053-stock tickets, anyway). You are unlikely to encounter any EI staff who are not aware of this; pointing out that your ticket is an Avios ticket (or a BA ticket, a United ticket, etc) is enough for them to realise that you have the "maximum" luggage allowance.
this is great to know, thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Picking this back up. Just booked 2 tix LHR to DUB for June 27 through BA for EI on BA Codeshare BA5953. Same situation. 125 ticket numbers BA site and ticket show 23kg check-in plus std Aer Lingus carryon allowance. EI site under same PNR shows standard EI language of 10kg drop off for free at airport and no checked baggage allowance. What is the best way to check in for this flight when time comes? I am OWE (AA Plat Pro) but don't see any notice of that anywhere so don't think I get to take advantage of that? Cannot assign seats yet either

Also, how do you get seats ahead of time on a BA codeshare flight? Have to call? I'm seeing no way to do it online

Last edited by geepmaley; Mar 30, 2024 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by geepmaley
Picking this back up. Just booked 2 tix LHR to DUB for June 27 through BA for EI on BA Codeshare BA5953. Same situation. 125 ticket numbers BA site and ticket show 23kg check-in plus std Aer Lingus carryon allowance. EI site under same PNR shows standard EI language of 10kg drop off for free at airport and no checked baggage allowance. What is the best way to check in for this flight when time comes? I am OWE (AA Plat Pro) but don't see any notice of that anywhere so don't think I get to take advantage of that? Cannot assign seats yet either

Also, how do you get seats ahead of time on a BA codeshare flight? Have to call? I'm seeing no way to do it online
Aer Lingus is not in oneworld so your platinum pro card is no good for this trip, unless maybe your windshield freezes up.

You will have an allowance of 20kg check in, 10kg carry-on plus a small personal item.

You should be able to add your trip to the EI app and check in from there, or just go to the ticket desk.

If you would like to purchase a seat assignment you need to call. Otherwise you will get one for free at online check-in.
geepmaley likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Same situation so same answer as above: you get 23 kgs as a checked bag allowance. You don't get any oneworld status privileges given that EI isn't in oneworld. For seats, try using Royal Air Maroc using the BA (not AA) PNR, however this has to be done more than 3.5 days from departure. Otherwise use the Aer Lingus app after OLCI opens, or the self service kiosks in LHR.
geepmaley likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Same situation so same answer as above: you get 23 kgs as a checked bag allowance. You don't get any oneworld status privileges given that EI isn't in oneworld. For seats, try using Royal Air Maroc using the BA (not AA) PNR, however this has to be done more than 3.5 days from departure. Otherwise use the Aer Lingus app after OLCI opens, or the self service kiosks in LHR.
Went on RAM website and successfully pulled up the PNR but didn't see anywhere to ask for seats.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:28 am

Went on RAM website and successfully pulled up the PNR but didn't see anywhere to ask for seats.
In the services section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.