Wiki Posts
Search

European Jaunts from Edinburgh via LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's more likely when JER pulls in, but if they want to get their KPIs up I'm sure watching out for yellowy eyes and bulky but light baggage would be on to a winner.
Ho Ho you must be psychic

Included in my Autumn Getaways are a couple to trips from Edinburgh to JER.

One outward leg is direct but both returns are via LHR so my bag is deposited in Jersey and collected in Edinburgh
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Butts
is this a weakness in the system or are they not interested in someone with 600 Bensons ?
Once a month, HMRC sends someone to BRR airport for a spot check. As with many things in life, whether trying to save a fiver on dodgy gear is worth the risk of a criminal record is an entirely personal decision, but as a very general rule the chronically thick tend to get that judgement wrong. Fortunately I would hope that Flyertalkers are not in this category.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
If you fly from a European destination to Edinburgh via LHR you don't see your bag until you are back in Edinburgh and go through Customs on entering the UK in London without it.

is this a weakness in the system or are they not interested in someone with 600 Bensons ?
The bag clears customs in Edinburgh - there used to be a separate belt for luggage that had started its journey outside the EU but it now all comes through the same place. There is a telephone for contacting customs and I've seen officers in there a fair few times (particularly late morning to mid-afternoon when a lot of people who have landed from North America, the far east and Oz early morning tend to rock up in Scotland.

The check at connections is for the immigration status of the person, not the customs status of their bags.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Once a month, HMRC sends someone to BRR airport for a spot check. As with many things in life, whether trying to save a fiver on dodgy gear is worth the risk of a criminal record is an entirely personal decision, but as a very general rule the chronically thick tend to get that judgement wrong. Fortunately I would hope that Flyertalkers are not in this category.
I suspect you are not a smoker so don't realise BA sell 400 B&H for £82 which represents a cost of £4.10 per packet.

Go into Tesco and they are north of £14 per packet which equates to a £10 per packet saving or £100 per sleeve.

Prior to us leaving the EU you could import as many as you liked as long as the applicable rate of duty in that country had been paid - ie not Duty Free but from a normal shop. I used to get mine in Luxembourg where they were about £5 packet. Unfortunately unless you live in Northern Ireland that door has been closed now.

Perhaps I should move to Belfast ?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:07 am

I suspect you are not a smoker so don't realise BA sell 400 B&H for £82 which represents a cost of £4.10 per packet.

Go into Tesco and they are north of £14 per packet which equates to a £10 per packet saving or £100 per sleeve.

Prior to us leaving the EU you could import as many as you liked as long as the applicable rate of duty in that country had been paid - ie not Duty Free but from a normal shop. I used to get mine in Luxembourg where they were about £5 packet. Unfortunately unless you live in Northern Ireland that door has been closed now.

Just because you don't see anyone from Customs doesn't mean they aren't watching you. They will also get a lot of data on travellers that will give them an understanding of who and what flights to target. Friend coming back from Norway got questioned recently so it's not just bucket and spade.
​​​​​​
As for the CE or not to CE question. I would say there are two sweet spots for Euro Y travel from EDI, via T3 for the superior lounge offering. But my favourite if the connections and price works is via LCY. Exit row behind the curtain and F+D included. Lack of Lounge at LCY is irrelevant if you get a sub 60 mins turnaround.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Friend coming back from Norway got questioned recently so it's not just bucket and spade.
​​​​​​
I'm interested to know what niche product is so much cheaper that it is worth trying to smuggle in from Norway of all places!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I'm interested to know what niche product is so much cheaper that it is worth trying to smuggle in from Norway of all places!
It was in relation to Duty Free fags which are pretty cheap over there. Especially compared to in Norway itself. Hence they have Duty Free on entry over there.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!

You could always save a bunch more cash by quitting smoking. You might also live a longer and healthier life.

Or not.

Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Just because you don't see anyone from Customs doesn't mean they aren't watching you. They will also get a lot of data on travellers that will give them an understanding of who and what flights to target. Friend coming back from Norway got questioned recently so it's not just bucket and spade.
​​​​​​
As for the CE or not to CE question. I would say there are two sweet spots for Euro Y travel from EDI, via T3 for the superior lounge offering. But my favourite if the connections and price works is via LCY. Exit row behind the curtain and F+D included. Lack of Lounge at LCY is irrelevant if you get a sub 60 mins turnaround.

Agreed, I've got a few outings on Embraer's and their wonderful Exit Row included in my itinerary, some including a LCY turnaround and others from T3 / T5.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
You could always save a bunch more cash by quitting smoking. You might also live a longer and healthier life.

Or not.

"Pure Gold from Benson & Hedges" there is no greater elixir of life.

After 40 odd years imbibing I am beyond redemption
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
"Pure Gold from Benson & Hedges" there is no greater elixir of life.

After 40 odd years imbibing I am beyond redemption
It's never too late. Said as an ex-smoker.

You could always find a new expensive, less personally destructive hobby.

And that will be my last nag on the subject, promise.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It's never too late. Said as an ex-smoker.

You could always find a new expensive, less personally destructive hobby.

And that will be my last nag on the subject, promise.
Hmm "Evangelist" seems quite appropriate in the circumstances.

Seriously, nothing (including vapes) replicates that hit which is impossible to explain to bemused people who have never smoked.
markmac likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Does 40+ years of smoking explain your forum handle?
stewardo likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HogwartsExpress
Does 40+ years of smoking explain your forum handle?
Purely coincidental , Butts was a dearly loved (non-smoking ) feline late of this earth.
CaliforniaMom likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We got stopped some time ago and searched coming from Amsterdam . We did have a lot of Calve peanut butter which they showed a great interest in . We even had to open a jar of it . Other than that we were very boring …..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.