European Jaunts from Edinburgh via LHR

Old Aug 5, 22, 4:51 am
Original Poster

European Jaunts from Edinburgh via LHR

Once you have requalified for Gold as I have is it really worth coughing up for CE Fares on European Jollies ?

In Economy you are almost guaranteed 4 (roomier in most cases) Exit Seats , Fast Track Security , Group 1 Boarding and access to 4 Lounges.

I have booked some cracking bargains the highlight of which must be a couple of Nights Hotel in Nice from EDI via LHR for just north of 200 in a couple of months. This will virtually self-financing when I deduct the savings on the Duty Free Cigarettes I can pick up.

Talking of Duty Free I have a 10 each way special daytrip to Cork from EDI (on an Irish Airline) on Monday. I am used to entering the UK at LHR where there rarely seems to be anyone on Customs these days.

Is this also prevalent for arriving into the UK at EDI (due in at 2345) or have recent travellers noticed a customs presence that is absent at LHR ?
Old Aug 5, 22, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
Is this also prevalent for arriving into the UK at EDI (due in at 2345) or have recent travellers noticed a customs presence that is absent at LHR ?
Intelligence led customs operations may include reading social media.

As for CE not being worth it, there are of course dozens of threads on that. But I would point out the current caps on Club Europe sizes for 319 and 320 aircraft will be dropped the instant that BA can do so, and therefore all exit row seats could end up in Club Europe. On a 321 the rear exit row seats are presumably safe but on GVA I wouldn't put it past BA to jam everyone else into 4 rows of ET at the back.
nancypants and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:03 am

Once you have requalified for Gold as I have is it really worth coughing up for CE Fares on European Jollies ?

In Economy you are almost guaranteed 4 (roomier in most cases) Exit Seats , Fast Track Security , Group 1 Boarding and access to 4 Lounges.

I have booked some cracking bargains the highlight of which must be a couple of Nights Hotel in Nice from EDI via LHR for just north of 200 in a couple of months. This will virtually self-financing when I deduct the savings on the Duty Free Cigarettes I can pick up.

Talking of Duty Free I have a 10 each way special daytrip to Cork from EDI (on an Irish Airline) on Monday. I am used to entering the UK at LHR where there rarely seems to be anyone on Customs these days.

As the response above suggests, there may be some "intelligence led" customs present but I haven't seen anyone at the customs desk/Hall in years. Go through passport control (e-gate on Monday when I got home) and straight outside without any officers present.
Your experience may differ, of course. It wouldn't be a concern for me, I'll be honest.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Intelligence led customs operations may include reading social media.
This. I've never seen random bag screening in the UK of the type that you get in the US or I've had myself in a number of Asian countries but plenty of times when the baggage hall has been full of customs people who are clearly looking for someone/something. This includes things like domestic baggage halls coming off a BA shuttle with lots of through-checked bags.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

I still take advantage of the cheap ce fares where available ( I don't need to travel this summer as thanks to Dubai have requalified for gold.). Planning on travelling after 8th sep.

Ce benefits
Middle seat free
160 tier points for r a return via lhr to the near Europe destinations ( useful for me)
free food and drink to while away the flight

Regards
Tbs
simonsmith likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:21 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Announcing your smuggling plans in public may not be the best strategy.
nancypants and flight125 like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FT01 View Post
As the response above suggests, there may be some "intelligence led" customs present but I haven't seen anyone at the customs desk/Hall in years. Go through passport control (e-gate on Monday when I got home) and straight outside without any officers present.
Your experience may differ, of course. It wouldn't be a concern for me, I'll be honest.
Are you talking about Edinburgh ?

There will be no Border Control from Dublin so how do they route people on CTA Flights in order to avoid that but still go through Customs ?
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Announcing your smuggling plans in public may not be the best strategy.
I'm talking "one over" not a container load
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a customs table, red phone and desk in CTA arrivals, on the left side by the exit doors.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:32 am

Are you talking about Edinburgh ?

There will be no Border Control from Dublin so how do they route people on CTA Flights in order to avoid that but still go through Customs ?
Oh, good point. I was arriving from the US.

I haven't arrived from Ireland post-Brexit, so i can't advise on that, sorry. Forgot all about the CTA.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi

I still take advantage of the cheap ce fares where available ( I don't need to travel this summer as thanks to Dubai have requalified for gold.). Planning on travelling after 8th sep.

Ce benefits
Middle seat free
160 tier points for r a return via lhr to the near Europe destinations ( useful for me)
free food and drink to while away the flight

Regards
Tbs
I agree when acquiring points to reach the threshold but afterwards as things stand the benefits in relation to the fare heist are at best negligible on sub 2 Hour excursions ?
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not too sure what the OP is after - as cws rightly mentions, there are tonnes of "is CE worth it?" (in various connotations) threads and the answers are invariably the same, some of us never pay for it, some always do, and some do sometimes (e.g. because it is a special trip or not much more, or they need more luggage, etc).

If I'm honest, if it were me, I'd be more on a "is connecting worth it?" for European flights from reasonably well connected EDI. I love flying, but quite frankly, I find the argument for 5 hours and 2 flights a bit thin when you can have a 2 hour non stop low cost flight instead, and even on short long haul, whilst I travel in J when I can and sometimes F, I am the first to say that I do find a 7 hour nonstop flight in Y less tiring than 12 hours including a connection in J and will often prioritise those especially on day flights.

As for customs, I'm always puzzled by the assumption that effective checks would mean questioning everyone. I know that some countries (US, Australia, etc) have a tendency to have a customs agent speak to everyone before deciding on their risk, but across most of Europe, customs work focuses on targetting (be it based on being tipped, profiling of flights or customers or the match between them etc) and you can certainly be asked questions at LHR or anywhere else even if it may seem rare because of the said targeting strategy, and I am not aware that this is any less efficient. Always best assume people may want to check you or your luggage just in case and many times you'll be happy to be straight out instead. And if you travel light and are happy for people to check whatever they want, any inspection can usually be done very quickly.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is a customs table, red phone and desk in CTA arrivals, on the left side by the exit doors.
Seriously, do they get many calls ?
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:37 am

Seriously, do they get many calls ?
It's more likely when JER pulls in, but if they want to get their KPIs up I'm sure watching out for yellowy eyes and bulky but light baggage would be on to a winner.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Not too sure what the OP is after - as cws rightly mentions, there are tonnes of "is CE worth it?" (in various connotations) threads and the answers are invariably the same, some of us never pay for it, some always do, and some do sometimes (e.g. because it is a special trip or not much more, or they need more luggage, etc).

If I'm honest, if it were me, I'd be more on a "is connecting worth it?" for European flights from reasonably well connected EDI. I love flying, but quite frankly, I find the argument for 5 hours and 2 flights a bit thin when you can have a 2 hour non stop low cost flight instead, and even on short long haul, whilst I travel in J when I can and sometimes F, I am the first to say that I do find a 7 hour nonstop flight in Y less tiring than 12 hours including a connection in J and will often prioritise those especially on day flights.

As for customs, I'm always puzzled by the assumption that effective checks would mean questioning everyone. I know that some countries (US, Australia, etc) have a tendency to have a customs agent speak to everyone before deciding on their risk, but across most of Europe, customs work focuses on targetting (be it based on being tipped, profiling of flights or customers or the match between them etc) and you can certainly be asked questions at LHR or anywhere else even if it may seem rare because of the said targeting strategy, and I am not aware that this is any less efficient. Always best assume people may want to check you or your luggage just in case and many times you'll be happy to be straight out instead. And if you travel light and are happy for people to check whatever they want, any inspection can usually be done very quickly.
If you fly from a European destination to Edinburgh via LHR you don't see your bag until you are back in Edinburgh and go through Customs on entering the UK in London without it.

is this a weakness in the system or are they not interested in someone with 600 Bensons ?

Search this Thread