Wiki Posts
Search

Guitar as hand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Guitar as hand luggage

I am in the process of moving back from United States to England. Flying tonight from Chicago to London on BA 296, in first, and as a GGL. Will I have a problem wanting to bring a guitar in a soft case as hand luggage?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This was a very recent and lively thread.

Bringing a guitar as carry-on TLV -> LHR in 2022

The guidance that gpt potentially in the way of this traveller was specific to the WT and WTP cabins. In your scenario I don't think there will be an issue.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:53 pm

My only relevant experience was in 2003 (so not very relevant), flying from JFK>LHR. I had bought some good Bordeaux at the then BBR duty free in T4 on the way out and going home I asked if my 32kg suitcase containing said Bordeaux could be taken on board as hand luggage. Check in said it was up to the gate, the gate said "of course". The CW passengers on disembarkation said "how the hell does that get allowed on as hand luggage".

My first and last experience of F.
xnetco likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by DominicB
I am in the process of moving back from United States to England. Flying tonight from Chicago to London on BA 296, in first, and as a GGL. Will I have a problem wanting to bring a guitar in a soft case as hand luggage?
as a ggl in first you'll probably have a car drive your guitar to the plane
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I was somewhat honored to see (and briefly meet) the wonderful Nile Rodgers on a flight in my GGL qualification year. Not only did the great man carry his own guitar, he queued up with everyone else. I kind of hope the hitmaker had its own seat.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I was somewhat honored to see (and briefly meet) the wonderful Nile Rodgers on a flight in my GGL qualification year. Not only did the great man carry his own guitar, he queued up with everyone else. I kind of hope the hitmaker had its own seat.
Having previously lived in LA I don’t consider myself much affected by seeing celebrities but that is someone I couldn’t have resisted saying hello to…!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I sure hope that a Moderator can fix the thread title, lest I lie awake all night picturing a guitar carrying hand luggage.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by guv1976
I sure hope that a Moderator can fix the thread title, lest I lie awake all night picturing a guitar carrying hand luggage.
When I read the title, I thought the thread was going to be about the OP booking an extra economy seat for their guitar (which is common for valuable instruments), and thereby wondering if they were entitled to bring another 2 pieces of hand luggage (one for OP and one for the guitar).
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:27 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
technically you're the hand luggage to the guitar
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
some people have all the luck: a few days ago I was on the deck of an Italian ferry and all I got was a drunk guy who took out his guitar and started screaming sings off pitch and with a stronger display of his Mancunian accent than he probably would have intended if not so badly drunk. he was with his girlfriend and two kids who looked terrifyingly embarrassed (the kids, not the girlfriend who seemed to think it was funny).

It was a short crossing, which single handedly explains why other passengers resisted the temptation to check if he and his hand baggage guitar would fit in the depth of the Mediterranean Sea , but only by a whisker!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by orbitmic
some people have all the luck: a few days ago I was on the deck of an Italian ferry and all I got was a drunk guy who took out his guitar and started screaming sings off pitch and with a stronger display of his Mancunian accent than he probably would have intended if not so badly drunk. he was with his girlfriend and two kids who looked terrifyingly embarrassed (the kids, not the girlfriend who seemed to think it was funny).

It was a short crossing, which single handedly explains why other passengers resisted the temptation to check if he and his hand baggage guitar would fit in the depth of the Mediterranean Sea , but only by a whisker!
Was it Liam Gallagher?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:44 am

Not a guitar, but in 2003 the Webb Ellis Trophy had seat 64J.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Accor Classic, BA Silver, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Marriott Gold
I remember listening to a radio interview with a cellist. She has to buy a second seat for her cello. One time, after boarding, she heard an announcement "Could Mr. Cello please make himself known to a member of the cabin crew"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.