Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Are you Gold? If so then they should offer to rebook you on other routes after 1 hour of delay. Otherwise I think you best hold on until there is a longer delay, over 4 hours. But usually most people seem happy just to take the next Belfast departure.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:33 am

Ok, yes I am gold. The agent did refer to a ticketing team but there were no options from this end.
I'm happy to be patient, just thought the earlier I contacted them the more options there would be.
At this point I feel it is easily possible to get home on time.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:37 am

Just as a follow up to this

The BA2037 LGW-MCO had a creeping delay and when it got to 2 hours FlightRadar was showing the estimated departure time as unknown, BA was showing a time in the past.
I phoned BA again, unable to help
When it got to 4 1/2 hours I phoned again and it was obvious from the start of the call I got an agent who wanted to help. It took an hour to sort out but I got transferred onto MCO-CLT-LHR and I'm sitting here now waiting for my original connection to BHD (I've had a warning that low visibility procedures may impact my flight).
Old May 3, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
LHR-MAN cancelled - hotel options?

Good evening

my mother is on the flight to Manchester from LHR this evening which has been cancelled. I’ve managed to rebook her on the 08:45 tomorrow. BA are offering a hotel at LGW which they say is all that’s available. But booking.com shows plenty of closer options at a reasonable price (under £200). BA staff have said you can’t claim that because BA have offered a hotel at LGW. Is this true or can we just book our own and claim back?
Old May 3, 2024, 4:30 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
You can book your own and claim back, I believe.

Being expected to travel to Gatwick from Heathrow, at 11pm, and travel back to Heathrow for a 08:45 flight is not reasonable.

If London was the start of the journey I’d perhaps not be so quick to book however… . But that’s me!
Old May 3, 2024, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is the thread you need to have handy in these circumstances, but yes, book your own hotel and claim back the costs and related bills for transport to the hotel and meals. Agents in LHR have zero clue about what happens in Customer Relations 250 miles away. Incidentally she does not have to be on the first service if she wishes to avoid an early morning rush - any flight with space will do.

Old May 3, 2024, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
You can book your own and claim back, I believe.

Being expected to travel to Gatwick from Heathrow, at 11pm, and travel back to Heathrow for a 08:45 flight is not reasonable.

If London was the start of the journey I’d perhaps not be so quick to book however… . But that’s me!
Surely even if London is the start it’s reasonable. If she goes home now she will arrive home at something past 1am and then be expected to leave again at 5am to get back to LHR. Plus an Uber each way (as the last train has gone) will cost more than the £105 we’ve just spent on a room.
gcuk likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is the thread you need to have handy in these circumstances, but yes, book your own hotel and claim back the costs and related bills for transport to the hotel and meals. Agents in LHR have zero clue about what happens in Customer Relations 250 miles away.

Thank you. We’re prepared to pay if needed but rather not.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
yes see the disruption thread, but you can just book your own and claim it back.

citiflyerUK and bisonrav like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:48 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
This seems a bit rubbish.
If bumped from the last flight of the day like this I would regard it as reasonable to get a < £400 taxi direct to your destination in Manchester rather than a < £200 hotel room and a flight the next day and other compo. but I suspect BA don't see it the same way.
citiflyerUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

looking at taxi fares for hiring 20:00 - 22:00 , based on a journey of 190 Miles (306km) and a rate of 20p for every 70.4 metres ( from https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-m...-fares/tariffs ) , the price would not seem to be GBP400 but more like GBP867 - assuming that there was a taxi driver available prepared to do the journey
jokerjokerj likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:35 am

We are to be on BA1391 MAN-LHR then BA115 LHR-JFK today, with 1hr15 between the two.

Woke up to see BA1391 is showing on Flighty as now departing 51m late, arriving. 14:07. That gives 18m connection which even with the best will in the world, isn’t going to work.

I know we have rights to rebooking (and potentially, depending on when we eventually rock up in NYC, compensation), but this is the first time I’ll have to negotiate this with a redemption and Amex 2-4-1 voucher (which had been due to expire in a few weeks). Are there particular things we need to be aware of? Eg will the BA IT system automatically offer us an alternate connection option, or will it be a manual process of calling up and/or speaking to CS at LHR?

Any other tips/ideas much appreciated!
Old May 4, 2024, 12:39 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
looking at taxi fares for hiring 20:00 - 22:00 , based on a journey of 190 Miles (306km) and a rate of 20p for every 70.4 metres ( from https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-m...-fares/tariffs ) , the price would not seem to be GBP400 but more like GBP867 - assuming that there was a taxi driver available prepared to do the journey
£353 with Blackberry cars. Admittedly when booked in advance, but I suspect you would be able to get one. A steady fare from a long range journey is popular for some drivers as an alternative to waiting for many small jobs. Just hopping into a black cab outside the terminal would not be a reasonable alternative to a hotel.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by squawk
We are to be on BA1391 MAN-LHR then BA115 LHR-JFK today, with 1hr15 between the two.

Woke up to see BA1391 is showing on Flighty as now departing 51m late, arriving. 14:07. That gives 18m connection which even with the best will in the world, isn’t going to work.

I know we have rights to rebooking (and potentially, depending on when we eventually rock up in NYC, compensation), but this is the first time I’ll have to negotiate this with a redemption and Amex 2-4-1 voucher (which had been due to expire in a few weeks). Are there particular things we need to be aware of? Eg will the BA IT system automatically offer us an alternate connection option, or will it be a manual process of calling up and/or speaking to CS at LHR?

Any other tips/ideas much appreciated!
You should be automatically rebooked. Depending on your class of travel etc, will depend on the options available. BA staff at Manchester should be able to advise. The late departure from MAN may resolved, also you could call with your concerns and BA may re-book proactively. It's best to engage with BA as opposed to letting the BA IT system "take care of you" as the IT system can lag behind real-time events, best of luck,
squawk likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
£353 with Blackberry cars. Admittedly when booked in advance, but I suspect you would be able to get one. A steady fare from a long range journey is popular for some drivers as an alternative to waiting for many small jobs. Just hopping into a black cab outside the terminal would not be a reasonable alternative to a hotel.
Agreee with this last point, many taxi drivers I know actually love longer journeys! For the rest, one more “vote up” for the disruption assistance thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.